Horrific dolphin slaughter happened this morning

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW, I think Old Ma and cartree are being a little harsh on the OP. I've seen a hell of a lot more emotive language coming from a militant vegan or a pro-lifer than suzzle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digami wrote: »
    FWIW, I think Old Ma and cartree are being a little harsh on the OP. I've seen a hell of a lot more emotive language coming from a militant vegan or a pro-lifer than suzzle.

Thanks digami. Love your location!!
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    The Faroese are a tiny nation -They depend on the sea .You cant compare them to the way the British have overfished or the Canadians .I think they have a right to catch sea creatures .Funny how dolphins and whales - the cuddlies of the sea get the attention when sharks are being killed in the millions for no reason and noones protesting about their treatemnt much .When the animal rights movement starts protesting about halal slaughtetr in the UK then ill take them seriously about dolphins and whales .Until then

As this thread is about the dolphin slaughter then it seems reasonable to me that I comment on that issue. I am against any senseless cruelty and slaughter of any creatures but if I mentioned every one then my post would be 100 pages long which would be rather silly. The comparison with the Faroes was perfectly logical as they kill in the same barbaric manner.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure we'll achieve much, but hey, i've sent my email. Bloody sickening stuff.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Faroese are a tiny nation -They depend on the sea .You cant compare them to the way the British have overfished or the Canadians .I think they have a right to catch sea creatures .Funny how dolphins and whales - the cuddlies of the sea get the attention when sharks are being killed in the millions for no reason and noones protesting about their treatemnt much .When the animal rights movement starts protesting about halal slaughtetr in the UK then ill take them seriously about dolphins and whales .Until then

The "Grind" that happens in the Danish Faroes has more to do with tradition than their staple diet. It is meant to be a pasage of rite for young men there.

It is probably amongst the cruellest and most barbaric practices in the world. An under cover Sea Shepherd team observed them later dumping whole bodies back in to the sea and took under water photos to prove it.

More info on the grind. You really should look at this before making your mind up on it.

http://www.rense.com/general88/barb.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I'm not sure we'll achieve much, but hey, i've sent my email. Bloody sickening stuff.:mad:

Thank you so much! :) As they say at Tesco's every little helps!
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay Dolphins are cute etc etc! Sorry to say this all animals die.

Yes they bleed to death is it so much different than our abattoirs?

Just cause you see them swim around you feel pity for them.

Well the chicken and meat from cows - sheep etc you eat go into a abattoir and see how they die.

Same thing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odz1 wrote: »
    Okay Dolphins are cute etc etc! Sorry to say this all animals die.

Yes they bleed to death is it so much different than our abattoirs?

Just cause you see them swim around you feel pity for them.

Well the chicken and meat from cows - sheep etc you eat go into a abattoir and see how they die.

Same thing!

This is what gets me, there's hysteria about contacting the Japanese consulate etc, which pretty much boils down to the Cute factor of the Dolphin, whereas animals get slaughtered each day in a variety of ways in the UK.
    People go mad over Horses as well, some getting outraged, but when it's things like baby lambs they don't give a shit.
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what gets me, there's hysteria about contacting the Japanese consulate etc, which pretty much boils down to the Cute factor of the Dolphin, whereas animals get slaughtered each day in a variety of ways in the UK.
    People go mad over Horses as well, some getting outraged, but when it's things like baby lambs they don't give a shit.

True Oggy - Be good if no slaughter was invloved but that is life -
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My objections have absolutely nothing to do with anything being cute. I think your assumption actually insults my intelligence!

I object because

a) It causes immeasurable suffering and..
    b) These animals are social and highly intelligent
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I have concerns about the slaughter of all animals, especially given the expose in the Guardian recently. I think we all live in a bit of denial about it and try and divorce ourselves from the fact a lot of suffering occured just to put some protein on your sandwich or on your plate. In the japanese case I think it just seems so pointless given most Japanese do not even want to eat the meat from Dolphins or Whales, also I think they are generally accepted to be more intelligent than grazing animals in general that we eat, and people tend to value the lives of things more according to intelligence i.e. I don't have many qualms about killing an insect but I would do about killing any mammal.
  • TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suzzle wrote: »
    My objections have absolutely nothing to do with anything being cute. I think your assumption actually insults my intelligence!

I object because

a) It causes immeasurable suffering and..
    b) These animals are social and highly intelligent

So the less intelligent the animal the more it should suffer?
    Where is the line drawn? An animal is an animal. Horse, lamb, dolphin, tuna, dog, mouse, etc...how does one define which creature is intelligent enough to merit an internet/email campaign to lessen the suffering of it's species?
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tetramesh wrote: »
    Where is the line drawn? An animal is an animal. Horse, lamb, dolphin, tuna, dog, mouse, etc...how does one define which creature is intelligent enough to merit an internet/email campaign to lessen the suffering of it's species?
    See my comment above, it is just a natural feeling I think, most people can kill an insect but couldn't kill a mammal.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Dolphins kill porpoises for fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Are dolphins any different to sharks or killer whales really .They are fish that swim in the sea .I would like to go near one as they have sharp teeth .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are dolphins any different to sharks or killer whales really .They are fish that swim in the sea .I would like to go near one as they have sharp teeth .

They are not fish.
  • silvertiarasilvertiara Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't looked at the videos posted but if this is the same thing then this is the cause that the guy/trainer of Flipper from the films spent the rest of his life trying to campaign against having been devastated that one of the 'Flipper' dolphins appeared to him to commit suicide in front of him.

There is a really good documentary about it that goes into it in a lot of detail. It looked horrific, emotive language or not. The full picture and how he campaigned for it did give the wider perspective and went into the politics and the complete denial of what was happening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand why want to protect the dolphin and agree that they should be protected.

But I will not support Sea Shepherd who are a set of violent Eco-Terrorist that are willing to put people lifes at risk for their beliefs. If anything they are just as bad as the 7/7 terrorist who hurt/killed people for their beliefs as well. imo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    They are not fish.

Yeah - i forget they dont have gills but i always see them as fish .
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Back to school with you! :D

psst... Dolphins are mammals, not fish.

Edit: beaten too it but what the heck.

Anyway I object to this, not because they are "cute", but because they are highly intelligent, social animals; killing a dolphin for food is no different to killing a Chimp or another human for food.

They are also not fit for human consumption, the mercury levels in them make them really, really bad - even dangerous for human consumption.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did I say that? How ridiculous. I don't want any animal to suffer. My entire point was that people were assuming that I only care because they are "cute". In fact I don't consider dolphins to be cute at all.

I also support conservation of coral reefs - not cute ..and sharks...also not cute.

http://www.seashepherd.org/sharks/

It just so happens that the dolphin slaughter is current and it is something that I think people should be aware of.

I can't believe I am getting drawn in to this ridiculous discussion which just derails the thread.

Could people stay on topic please. If you don't like the fact that I am supporting this particular cause then fine - but don't spoil the thread for those who have a genuine interest. Thanks. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I say that? How ridiculous. I don't want any animal to suffer. My entire point was that people were assuming that I only care because they are "cute". In fact I don't consider dolphins to be cute at all.

I also support conservation of coral reefs - not cute ..and sharks...also not cute.

http://www.seashepherd.org/sharks/

It just so happens that the dolphin slaughter is current and it is something that I think people should be aware of.

I can't believe I am getting drawn in to this ridiculous discussion which just derails the thread.

Could people stay on topic please. If you don't like the fact that I am supporting this particular cause then fine - but don't spoil the thread for those who have a genuine interest. Thanks. :)

I believe the thread has stayed on topic, I think you don't like the direction it is taking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    Anyway I object to this, not because they are "cute", but because they are highly intelligent, social animals; killing a dolphin for food is no different to killing a Chimp or another human for food.

They are also not fit for human consumption, the mercury levels in them make them really, really bad - even dangerous for human consumption.

Agree! :)
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And with that you've just lost your audience -

The name of the forum 'General Discussion' should have given you a hint that discussion may take place.

You are not a preacher and we are not tied to our seats.....

Edit - you are preaching, but we're still not tied to our seats
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »

You see no differentiation between killing a human for food and killing an animal? Ok... Just trying to figure out what level you're on here, and frankly, you worry me!! :eek::D

Btw, I already stated dolphins kill porpoises for no reason that we can explain.

They brutally attack them, using sonic waves to single out their major organs and then attack them- then play about with the corpses.

What do you make of that?