Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Ageist statement if ever I saw one from the Execs of the "new Prisoner"
    ARE ANY OF THE ORIGINAL CAST FEATURED?
    No. At the moment the cast line up is a brand new one and none of the original Prisoner cast are included. You need to look at this from the point of view that Prisoner was filmed in the 70s and 80s and with absolute due respect to the original actors, a number of them are now outside of the age range that the series needs. A lot of the original actors are now in their 70s and this wouldn't be suitable for them to play the same characters that they did over 30 years ago. Some actors are sadly no longer with us.
    Depending on how successful the series becomes there is always a chance that some of the original Prisoner actors may be invited to make some guest appearances, probably playing different characters, but this remains to be seen.

They obviously do not understand that roles of Prisoners are not age limited and can be of any age. It is obvious that the majority of the characters in the new show will be in their 20's or 30's as the Execs probably feel that watching a bunch of grey haired women will be a turn off - when in fact it would be the complete opposite.

As stated before they would have been better off introducing new characters alongside a few established favourites played by the original actresses/actors - much like the new Dallas series.

I still feel they are trying to create a new series off the back of the successful original.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    An Ageist statement if ever I saw one from the Execs of the "new Prisoner"

They obviously do not understand that roles of Prisoners are not age limited and can be of any age. It is obvious that the majority of the characters in the new show will be in their 20's or 30's as the Execs probably feel that watching a bunch of grey haired women will be a turn off - when in fact it would be the complete opposite.

As stated before they would have been better off introducing new characters alongside a few established favourites played by the original actresses/actors - much like the new Dallas series.

I still feel they are trying to create a new series off the back of the successful original.

Absolute rubbish, I certainly don't want to see a 72 year old Meg Morris and an 89 year old Erica Davidson running the prison, as some deluded fans have suggested.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish, I certainly don't want to see a 72 year old Meg Morris and an 89 year old Erica Davidson running the prison, as some deluded fans have suggested.

I agree that Meg and Erica could just never have appeared but the likes of Chrissie, Amanda Muggleton looks fantastic still, and even Doreen making cameo appearances would have worked.

The makers of the new Prisoner would do well to remember Mum Brooks and Lizzie Birdsworth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sick and tired of your personal insults towards those who feel the new series is going to be a disaster. I bit my tongue to your last comment posted a short while ago but not this time.

Fact of the matter is you have to look at the sheer number of "reboots" that have failed after one, if lucky two series. The new show is capitalising on the name of the successful original in order to draw fans.

As also stated in a previous post, look at the Sydney Herald article regarding the new series, the comments posted by readers are hardly favourable either!

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/prisoner-reboot-aiming-for-a-captive-audience-20121003-26zs5.html

If you do not like such comments then tough but don't start getting personal about them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its valid for fans to believe the new remake will be a disaster because its pissing all over the legacy of the old characters. There was nothing to stop them from making it a continuation. They didn't even need any of the old faces back for that either. Its been nearly 30 years. Its understandible to believe all of them will have moved on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Meg and Erica could just never have appeared but the likes of Chrissie, Amanda Muggleton looks fantastic still, and even Doreen making cameo appearances would have worked.

The makers of the new Prisoner would do well to remember Mum Brooks and Lizzie Birdsworth.

Maggie May Kennedy, Ettie Parslow, Aunty Ida as well to name a few others
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I am just as fed up of fans declaring it a disaster before it even starts.

We are never all going to agree about this, but I want to give it a chance.

Prisoner is a huge chunk of my life, and I love it. But a new take on it will not destroy the memory of it, or how I feel every time I open my boxset. If it is rubbish, then we have the original. If not then we have two separate shows. Win win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Sick and tired of your personal insults towards those who feel the new series is going to be a disaster. I bit my tongue to your last comment posted a short while ago but not this time.

Fact of the matter is you have to look at the sheer number of "reboots" that have failed after one, if lucky two series. The new show is capitalising on the name of the successful original in order to draw fans.

As also stated in a previous post, look at the Sydney Herald article regarding the new series, the comments posted by readers are hardly favourable either!

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/prisoner-reboot-aiming-for-a-captive-audience-20121003-26zs5.html

If you do not like such comments then tough but don't start getting personal about them.

My last comment was in response to your post where you stated Joy Westmore was too old to return as Officer Barry, but Patsy King could return as a 'just retiring' Erica Davidson, despite the fact Westmore is actually 2-3 years younger than King.

I never stated you couldn't have any characters return, but the implication you seemed to make (as well as others elsewhere on the www) is that the show could pick up 30 years later where the youngest character (probably Brumby Tucker from Episode 692) would be in her early 50's by now too.

It just wouldn't work without younger characters mixed in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I am just as fed up of fans declaring it a disaster before it even starts.

We are never all going to agree about this, but I want to give it a chance.

Prisoner is a huge chunk of my life, and I love it. But a new take on it will not destroy the memory of it, or how I feel every time I open my boxset. If it is rubbish, then we have the original. If not then we have two separate shows. Win win.

Exactly and I'm fed up of being accused of being insulting when I am simply conveying things as I see them.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

They wouldn't be that age then.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any rumours as to when (or if) 'Wentworth' will appear on UK screens?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They wouldn't be that age then.

Huh? I don't follow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My last comment was in response to your post where you stated Joy Westmore was too old to return as Officer Barry, but Patsy King could return as a 'just retiring' Erica Davidson, despite the fact Westmore is actually 2-3 years younger than King.

I never stated you couldn't have any characters return, but the implication you seemed to make (as well as others elsewhere on the www) is that the show could pick up 30 years later where the youngest character (probably Brumby Tucker from Episode 692) would be in her early 50's by now too.

It just wouldn't work without younger characters mixed in.

OK not having a pop here but a good example is the James Bond franchise, who until the end of the recent film (Skyfall) had 77 year old Judi Dench as M - Head of Mi5. It is plausible for actors above perceived normal retirement age to play roles of importance.

Patsy King certainly does not look her 83 years of age (Pic from 2011) and to be honest does not appear much older then when she last appeared in PCBH in mid 1984. Whereas Joy Westmore does look her 80 years and conceivably could not return to the role of Joyce Barry.

Reboots work best when you appease both sets of viewers - both long term and newcomers. Long term in the aspect of familiar faces in the very least cast as new characters but preferably as the same role. Newcomers who like to see fresh faces on screen. Unfortunately the Producers of the reboot have opted not to have any classic series actor/actress back even in another role - this I believe will work to their detriment. Val Lehman who played Bea Smith has previously claimed she would have loved to have been a part of the new series even if it meant she would be playing a new role on the other side of the bars.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Huh? I don't follow.

The series of the new variety is when Bea first makes her journey to be boss cocky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any rumours as to when (or if) 'Wentworth' will appear on UK screens?

If its a hit in Oz I reckon Five will buy it.

I'm also not totally against the show returning. I would have just preferred them to have remade it with new characters. Using past characters in a 2012 setting is lazy in my opinion. There was no reason at all why it couldn't have continued with or without cameos from past characters. A prequel set in the 70s would have been so much better if it was Bea's journey to top dog they were after. Plus weren't we lead to believe Myra was top dog during Bea's early stint? this remake isn't going off the history we knew. Its created new history.

I am excited to see it either way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel that the first and last episodes of PCBH are amongst the finest ever made.

The first with the gritty realism and excellent initial characters

The last watching the Freak on a downward spiral and landing up in Wentworth.

Even Maggie Kirkpatrick has stated she felt the last episodes of PCBH were amongst the best she worked on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The series of the new variety is when Bea first makes her journey to be boss cocky.

Sorry, I'm still not following.

The comment you quoted was in response to suggestions that actresses from the original series could reprise their original roles, despite being 30 years older and in many cases that would make a return unrealistic, unless it were just a fleeting cameo.

I think you have just jumped in here with a comment without even reading the context of the discussion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm also not totally against the show returning. I would have just preferred them to have remade it with new characters. Using past characters in a 2012 setting is lazy in my opinion. There was no reason at all why it couldn't have continued with or without cameos from past characters. A prequel set in the 70s would have been so much better if it was Bea's journey to top dog they were after. Plus weren't we lead to believe Myra was top dog during Bea's early stint? this remake isn't going off the history we knew. Its created new history.

It was Marie Winter, not Myra Desmond, who was Top Dog before Bea.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for replying. :) Hopefully it will find its way over here. I agree with you and think C5 will be its home.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Marie Winter, not Myra Desmond, who was Top Dog before Bea.

Bea's the first top dog it shows you. Marie Winter might have been talked about as being the first one, but Bea was the first one shown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Bea's the first top dog it shows you. Marie Winter might have been talked about as being the first one, but Bea was the first one shown.

I'm sure I recall Lizzie telling the women that Myra was top dog before Bea during those very early Myra appearances when she was part of the PRG.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Do people actual read the flow of conversation before posting?:rolleyes:

Try reading the post from which my post is quoted. Someone said Myra Desmond was Top Dog in her first (pre show) spell inside.

I suggested it was Winter, not Desmond, who was Top Dog before Bea and before the era the show covered.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Episode 5 (I now have the complete collection). Lynne Warner really grates on me, all she does is moan, "I'm innocent!" etc. I know she is innocent but I wouldn't mind if Bea jammed her hand in the steam press a few more times!

Vera Bennett is hilarious (unintentionally) and Lizzie is off her head with her inappropriate laughing on occasions :D

These are the episodes I didn't see when it was first aired on ITV (Granada) so I'm so pleased I'm getting the opportunity to see them.
  • Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that series..

They don't make them like that anymore.

Wonder if thats what its really like in prison?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im onto epsiode 495 now, the evil Len Murphys not long arrived :D