Options

Man wearing a hat - opinions?

Comments

• Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I've got a Stetson that I wear sometimes.

Do you also own a fez?
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    My husband has a trilby and wears it often which means funny looks from people. I think he looks great wearing it.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I have a Tilley hat. It's supposed to be a summer hat to keep the sun off me but I sometimes where it when it's raining too.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I should have said my husband is 47 but he looks like he's in his 30s
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »

If you're a guy, do you ever wear a hat ( I don't mean baseball caps or beanies)?

Yes I do, when its really cold I wear my Marks & Spencer Russian hat, when its really hot I wear my Marks & Spencer summer hat. Apart from that my winter duffel coat has a big hood, and I forgo a hat for the rest of the year.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My teenage son wears a tweed cap that belonged to my late grandad. He looks cool in it. He also wears a trilby occasionally. If you have the confidence to carry it off, go for it. Have a look round charity shops first, you might get a bargain.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love men in hats, but not a bowler.

I'd give the thumbs up to a trilby, a fedora, a panama in summer, a fur trapper in winter.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    As already said fashions change .

Last nights viewing of war on The Somme, an old movie clip screened thousands of civies queuing to enlist in the 1914 army - every one wearing a cloth cap without exceptions so far as could tell.

.Similar scene 1951 - virtually all hatless
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just mentioned in the Romanov thread, I think Tsar Nicholas looks good in a bowler hat... :)

guy no.5 on the left

I want one like that :cool:

ps. I don't look like Tsar Nicholas :blush:
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think hats on guys looked fine in the past, when everyone wore them. Real life cowboys look great in their Stetsons but a bowler hat is just so old fashioned nowadays. My least favourite are flat caps !
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're a guy, do you ever wear a hat ( I don't mean baseball caps or beanies)?

I wear a proper Trilby Panama Hat in the summer and look like a rich plantation owner.... :D

What a lot of people don't realise is that a real panama hat can be rolled up, not that I ever do.

http://www.panamahats.co.uk/
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you want something different try a Stetson Burney Leather Newsboy Cap

not cheap but great quality
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .But I'm a woman.
    The site I linked to earlier has some quite nice hats for women too....

Talking of bowler hats the gang in the utterly dreadful A Clockwork Orange all wore bowlers. Is that the look you were going for Ovalteenie? :D
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say, OP, wear whatever you want to wear as long as you're comfortable with it. If it concerns you what others think rather than dressing for yourself, then don't bother, but it'd be sad if you want to wear one and don't bother just because you're concerned about other peoples' opinions ... but if that does bother you then you will just feel self-conscious rather than comfortable with what you choose to wear.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would look unusual and of course it would attract attention. But I am a huge fan of people carrying off unusual fashion choices, especially men in hats. But it's all about how you carry it off - if you skulk around feeling silly, then you'll look a bit silly. If you want to look awesome in <whatever unusual fashion item> then you just have to believe that you look awesome in it. Plus accept that some people are narrow minded and will think you look silly anyway.

The BIB is it really, some people can carry off unusual fashion choices and some can't. So try it out and see if it suits you and that you can carry it off.

If you can then you'll look good and if you can't you will look daft.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Be aware of what you are getting into. I started with just a hat. You never know where it will lead you.

I like to dress like Kenneth Moore in The 39 Steps.
    Tweed cap, tweed jacket and flannel trousers with tan brogues. A tie, a buttonhole and walking stick round it all off.
    The trouble is that I am not a pensioner , just an eccentric. This occassoinaly leads to me getting beaten up on the tube.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be aware of what you are getting into. I started with just a hat. You never know where it will lead you.

I like to dress like Kenneth Moore in The 39 Steps.
    Tweed cap, tweed jacket and flannel trousers with tan brogues. A tie, a buttonhole and walking stick round it all off.
    The trouble is that I am not a pensioner , just an eccentric. This occassoinaly leads to me getting beaten up on the tube.

Made me laugh - I used to wear tweed caps, I had two, along with a man's tweed jacket. I usually teamed it with tight black trousers or a mini skirt though.

I was eccentric, but also pretentious and edgy, and got away with it.:D

Goodness' I'm so boring these days.:(
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    The site I linked to earlier has some quite nice hats for women too....

Talking of bowler hats the gang in the utterly dreadful A Clockwork Orange all wore bowlers. Is that the look you were going for Ovalteenie? :D

:o:o:o:blush:

I was thinking more Butch Cassidy & Sundance kid :cool:
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It could though, look like Charlie Chaplin:blush::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I often get films mixed up but wasn't it in that that they were being tracked by a tracker in a white hat?

It might have been another western, but I remember when I first saw it thinking the guy in the white hat was so cool! :D
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I have always loved men in hats, but I would reconsider your choice of a bowler.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    You've been watching the Mr Green ads, haven't you?
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending on the weather/his mood my husband sometimes wears a hat. He has a Ford Fedora which I especially like.
  • Options
    FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just mentioned in the Romanov thread, I think Tsar Nicholas looks good in a bowler hat... :)

guy no.5 on the left

I want one like that :cool:

ps. I don't look like Tsar Nicholas :blush:

I might get away with this, but not sure as I haven't got the requisite moustache to counterbalance it. Nor the Gandalf eyebrows...
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would look unusual and of course it would attract attention. But I am a huge fan of people carrying off unusual fashion choices, especially men in hats. But it's all about how you carry it off - if you skulk around feeling silly, then you'll look a bit silly.
    If you want to look awesome in <whatever unusual fashion item> then you just have to believe that you look awesome in it. Plus accept that some people are narrow minded and will think you look silly anyway.

Completely agree, I love to see a man with the confidence to wear their own style, I had a friend at school who regularly wore hats and looked fantastic doing so.
    ETA: I would also agree with the previous poster who said a Trilby or Fedora would be better than a bowler hat. There is nothing sexier than a Trilby on a man in a sharp suit (imo) see Matt Bomer in White Collar for a perfect example :D
    I love hats

But I'm a woman.

I used to have a fedora that I wore regularly when I was younger, absolutely loved it.