Options

8GB iPhone 5C launches tomorrow?

124»

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that the actually innovative Yotafone just finally launched in the UK at a similar price.
    With that you get a high resolution display, 32GB memory and a secondary 'always on' e-ink display on the back.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/yotaphone-launches-uk-419-featuring-4-3-inch-070000156.html
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you do not get The Perfect One for your money. I think Apple is trying to restore a feeling of exclusivity of their devices. A perfection that will (naturally) cost you, because something that expensive can't be bad. That was a big part of Jobs' philosophy, which was IMO neglected after his death.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    It's apparently to bolster support for LTE (4G) networks...
    “The mid-tier iPhone segment is growing year-over-year and the 8GB model provides a more affordable option for markets where LTE is becoming more established,” an Apple representative told Re/code. The iPhone 5c, unlike the iPhone 4s, which is also still sold, supports LTE networks.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Interesting that the actually innovative Yotafone just finally launched in the UK at a similar price.
    With that you get a high resolution display, 32GB memory and a secondary 'always on' e-ink display on the back.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/yotaphone-launches-uk-419-featuring-4-3-inch-070000156.html

Dual-core 1.7GHz Snapdragon S4 processor.... what is this 2012?
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not really more affordable though, its still at a high end price point.

I would class mid point as being about £200 - £300.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    It's not really more affordable though, its still at a high end price point.

I would class mid point as being about £200 - £300.

I agree completely, hence my "apparently". :D
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

That makes no sense.

Its still a very high end price for a very low to mid range phone :confused:
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's cheap and there's Apple cheap. They can't sell it for a reasonable price, because it would go against their policy of overpriced extraordinary premium products.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    That makes no sense.

Again, I agree, the quote came from "an Apple Representative".

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/18/8-gb-iphone-5c-lte-markets/
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    That makes no sense.

There are many cheap phones now available that offer LTE, giving operators what they want - cheap 4G phones that they can sell on the, generally, more expensive 4G tariffs.

Last year there were phones like the Xperia SP and now there are cheap phones from Sony, Samsung, Huawei and more.

The iPhone 5c does NOT seem like a cheap 4G phone. In fact, it's priced more like a high-end model.

Lenovo/Motorola will almost certainly release an updated Moto G this year, using Snapdragon 410 (LTE and 5GHz Wi-Fi) and if that's priced similarly - i.e. around the £100-130 mark, then that's going to be a really affordable LTE phone.

I should imagine every network is desperate for this to be released ASAP, even if many ordinary people aren't bothered about 4G. The operators are!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't help but feel that Apple have sold a lot less 5Cs than they planned for and have made this move to shift will might well be the remaining stocks/components?

I'm not sure the 5C will still be around after September's refresh.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    They have sold vast amounts less than they had planned that is for certain, however we will never know for sure just how shockingly they misjudged this phone.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they can salvage things if the iPhone 6 is a lot more different. If it has a 5+ inch screen, there will be those who think it's too big and the 5c (or an update) can become the 'mini' or 'compact' model.

I do think Apple has lost its clever and shrewd marketing nous though. Now it seems to be more trial and error, or having to react to the competition instead of the other way around.

But I guess that's inevitable as its marketshare falls, and developers are beginning to make almost as much money, which might eventually become more, money on Android than iOS. That will be the killer for Apple if it doesn't watch out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    ..I do think Apple has lost its clever and shrewd marketing nous though....

I'm not sure it matters. People used to think 'Hoover' as the word for a vacuum cleaner. So with many taught to think 'iPhone' or 'iPad' for smartphone or tablet, quality and innovation likely matters less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2583324/Apples-cheap-iPhone-5C-just-got-cheaper-Firm-releases-8GB-model-amid-reports-poor-sales-itll-save-40.html

Under the headline "Is Apple shifting tactics " it later says
    "Since 2007, Apple’s handsets have been seen as high-end devices."

Just maybe they too think that is no longer true.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2583324/Apples-cheap-iPhone-5C-just-got-cheaper-Firm-releases-8GB-model-amid-reports-poor-sales-itll-save-40.html

Under the headline "Is Apple shifting tactics " it later says
    "Since 2007, Apple’s handsets have been seen as high-end devices."

Just maybe they too think that is no longer true.

Iv'e never seen them as high end really. The price has been high end where think the hardware has always been mid range.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    They have always been "seen" as high end devices largely by those who know no different.