Options

By All Means Congratulations To Sam Bailey, However...

RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
Forum Member
To start with this is not knocking Sam Bailey, she wasn't my favourite in her series but by all admission the girl can sing very well.

I'm glad she got a number 1 album and sold a decent figure HOWEVER she still has quite a lot to prove. In her album of 11 songs there was only one original where as there were 10 cover versions. So far she is untested in trying to crack the artist with her own material (Granted its only been a few months so there is still time).

Also these covers primarily of older songs released on Mother's Day week could fit in with the theory of "It's an easy Mother's Day present"

Would the people receiving the gift have all of gone out and bought it themselves?

It's absolutely a great marketing strategy for her Debut Album to release at this point but doing original material at a different time of the year is a completely different story.

I do wish her well but I fear that this release is not helping her in the long term :(

Comments

• Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's helped her enough to have a more successful first week than other winners with huge promotion lined up.

She had 15 thousand on pre-orders alone - more than James, Matt and Little Mix - so it shows there is genuine interest with her in the market. You could pre-order the album before the tracklist was revealed, too.

I think people have been underestimating the power of her audience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I suspect that this album was done because of her pregnancy and she needed to get her foot in the door before being forgotten about, whilst testing the market for her at the same time.
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    What a lot of people often overlook is that cover albums have been popular for years. Classical crossover artists sing predominantly covers. Richard & Adam had a No 1 which held that spot for four weeks last year with an album of songs which have been covered a lot! Alfie Boe always sells cover albums and has had 3 platinum sellers and the last one went gold and is still selling.

There is a market for music which has stood the test of time. Songs which are covered are songs which are known to be popular, and it's been shown time and again such songs will continue selling when covered. Original music is not necessarily going to appeal, it's a risk in that sense. If the new songs aren't strong enough and popular, they wont sell.

Westlife made a career out of predominantly cover albums didn't they?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on she has just got a no 1 album,lets celebrate that before looking at how much she still has to prove.A number 1 album is impressive.I am happy for her.