Options

Sky and Talk talk v BT

clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So Sky and Talk talk are teaming up to take on BT and build their own fibre network. Interesting policy as last time this was tried in the NTL days they ran out of money and well that was the end of the grand plans.

Can these two do what others have failed at? I'm guessing it's not cheap building a network and will take many years to get a return. BT already have the kit and the pockets to keep expanding which makes me think Sky aka do Talk Talk really do have a battle on their hands,

What do others think?

Comments

• Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a564781/sky-talktalk-form-broadband-alliance-to-take-on-bt.html#~oBztVKMIoyjxqw
    Sky and TalkTalk can give it a very good try but BT also have the money to spend.
    Its like Sky want to take on BT with broadband and BT want to take on Sky with TV.
    Hope this my bring prices down but I cant realty see it. BT will be like sky try and do all they can to keep customers and to get more.

Darren
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    I think this is a very interesting development indeed and really mirrors what is happening in the US with Google Fiber and a few smaller FTTP providers across the US.

I'm actually surprised as TalkTalk and Sky so far have pretty much rented everything off BT including the backhaul fibre to and from the exchange (though they've recently started using Virgin Media for that also).

I would hope that Openreach will respond city tv city like AT&T are and roll out FTTP in areas where they have competition from CityFibre.
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Let's hope it raises competition because I'm all for that. It's gonna take them many years to rival BT though and I'm not sure Talk Talk can stretch all that far!

Plus BT do struggle with their fibre uptake and have ended up giving it away to existing customers for positive press figures.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    I think this is a very interesting development indeed and really mirrors what is happening in the US with Google Fiber and a few smaller FTTP providers across the US. .
    The UK is far better for broadband than the US where it's a case of expensive fast cable or slow ADSL. There is no such thing as unbundling thanks to lobbying by the telecoms companies. Hence why Google is getting involved in some cities, the only real competition to the cable companies.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    The UK is far better for broadband than the US where it's a case of expensive fast cable or slow ADSL. There is no such thing as unbundling thanks to lobbying by the telecoms companies. Hence why Google is getting involved in some cities, the only real competition to the cable companies.

I agree with you. For I got two US friends that stay just two towns 12miles from each other in the state of Michigan and one of them gets cable TV and broadband from them and can gets near 40mb speeds. Other one don't have cable in his town and only gets normal ADSL of a poor 1mb speed. As his town is still to get a normal ADSL upgrade to up to 8mb I think he said and that would cost him a few Dollars more a month if he ever gets the ADSL upgrade.
    A small number of places in the USA still use dial up for the internet.

Darren
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Interesting but as BT have only last month got around to installing fibre in my area, it will be decades before anyone else comes down this way. Sky will of course go for profitable areas first and so for many people this won't be an issue for many years to come.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting but as BT have only last month got around to installing fibre in my area, it will be decades before anyone else comes down this way. Sky will of course go for profitable areas first and so for many people this won't be an issue for many years to come.

There must be a small number of people where you live from the way you're talking.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »

It is in general yes. Unbundling does exist in the US on ADSL2 but the wholesale prices have made it unattractive. Sonic.net use AT&T lines to deliver their broadband in California and they do have their own FTTP service in a few towns also.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    There must be a small number of people where you live from the way you're talking.

No, it's more like rental-land with tenants changing every other week.

I'm about the only one around here who owns their house and lives in it.

So these buy to let landlords are not going to have fly-by-night tenants signing up to expensive fibre contracts and the tenants won't want to either.

Still, I'm happy with my 73Mb/s and on PlusNet it's the cheapest or one of the cheapest deals around.