How much importance do you put on critics' opinions and how influential are they?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
Forum Member
Basically two of my favourite albums (Born To Die and Electra Heart) of 2012 and probably from the last few years have taken major battering from the critics...and its got me wondering.

Maybe I just have really bad taste but how much clout do critics reviews have?

Comments

• ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think Born to Die recieved too many bad reviews, but the bad reviews were very much America-central, weren't they? The UK reviews were quite positive.

I've only read positive reviews for Electra Heart too, but admittedly I haven't read too many.

Anyways, I like to read reviews, but the thought that the reviewer might have a different music taste to me is always at the front of my mind. If an album (Or a film, etc.) has overwhelming, across the board, negative reviews I'll stay away or listen to the tracks a few times on Youtube to make up my mind. I rarely buy an album after the lead single unless I liked their previous album. I normally wait until 2 or 3 singles in and see how I feel. :)
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    There are certain critics that I take notice of because I've learnt from past experience that they have similar taste to mine, so if they recommend something it's worth me checking it out. So I use their reviews to point me towards music that I might not otherwise be aware of, simply because don't have time to listen to everything myself.

But that's about it for me.
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't often agree with them, but everyone has their own opinions. I think it's nice for music I like to get good reviews, I guess I like to feel 'proud' of the artist I'm listening ha - a bit like a proud parent :p
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A critic is only one person.

Thats how I view it.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I NEVER listen to what they have to say, its just their opinion, you never know if you will like something unless you listen to it for yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Well, on the one hand, some of them are true experts, granted that they've listened to so many albums in their life, so they know how to review a record. On the other hand, music is a matter of personal preferences and tastes. Liking or disliking music is subjective. Noone can tell you what to like, they can only tell you what they like ;) Also, some critics are a little biased and in some cases overly strict and dogmatic, ending up being a little patronizing (not all of them, though). What is also baffling is that most critics don't get to listen to the album twice. They don't give the record the necessary time to grow on them and imo, most albums are growers...

I feel like reviews are useful if you understand that they're just opinions of professional critics that may not have the same taste as you do. A critic can tell you if an album is well or poorly produced and cohesive compared to the standards of the respective genre. However, they can't tell you whether you must or mustn't like the album. That said, if an album has been reviewed by 50 professional critics and they all found it awful, then you probably shouldn't spend any money on it. :o Just saying :cool:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I do read the critics' opinions of albums but I find my own tastes and opinions are more important when deciding whether to buy an album or not ;)
  • Rose-AddictRose-Addict Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I NEVER listen to what they have to say, its just their opinion, you never know if you will like something unless you listen to it for yourself.

If I'd have listened to the critics, I would never have discovered my favourite album.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Why does anyone listen to critics.Thats what your own mind is for.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I put zero faith in the views of music critics because critics are just people who couldn't make it as musicians :D:p
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like everything else you'll read, it helps to have a little background information on the writer, their tastes etc. Often the only way to do this is to read much of their output.

Some reviewers do a great job, some don't.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it depends, if its a poor quality album then it will usually be rated low, I always see the critics reviews based on the effort, quality and overall standard on the album as a work of art rather on the preference of the actual music.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    None. None whatsoever. I have never taken notice of what any critic has ever said regarding music, film, theatre, art, food - anything. Only I can tell what I will like or not, once I've heard/seen/tried it.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None. None whatsoever. I have never taken notice of what any critic has ever said regarding music, film, theatre, art, food - anything. Only I can tell what I will like or not, once I've heard/seen/tried it.

In other words you rely on your own prejudices. Critics are a tad more objective than that in most cases actually.
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically two of my favourite albums (Born To Die and Electra Heart) of 2012 and probably from the last few years have taken major battering from the critics...and its got me wondering.

Maybe I just have really bad taste but how much clout do critics reviews have?

What the critics say and what the public like and buy are two different things.

For me, I take no notice of them...they are an irrelevance.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miles19740 wrote: »

I agree....most of the time they have hidden agendas (or wads of cash from record labels in their pockets) and I find that what they say never really correlates with what the majority actually like and praise within a particular genre...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put zero faith in the views of music critics because critics are just people who couldn't make it as musicians :D:p

There is some truth in that but I have read some good reviews by Paul Morley, Greil Marcus and David Toop that were as inspired as the music they were writing about!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    miles19740 wrote: »

How do we establish what is good music and what is not?
    Is popularity the only measure?
    Forum Member
    It's all very well saying that critics are irrelevant, but without them how do people go about finding the time to actually listen to the estimated 5,000+ albums released every year? That's over 100 albums per week on average.

Personally I find it far better to find critics I trust and think I share similar taste with, and to then allow them to spend their time listening to the mass of new music that's being constantly released so they can narrow it down to, say, half a dozen albums a week that might be worth me spending my time listening to - and then of course I can make my own judgement on which ones I agree with them on.

So I believe critics have their uses. It's just a question of finding the right ones and using them in a way that helps you.
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Critics may point me in the direction of music, but I don't think their opinion really affects my opinion after listening. A critic's review would perhaps make me more likely to buy an album, but they wouldn't deter me from buying an album.
    Forum Member
    danielleh wrote: »
    Critics may point me in the direction of music, but I don't think their opinion really affects my opinion after listening. A critic's review would perhaps make me more likely to buy an album, but they wouldn't deter me from buying an album.

Yep that's what I've been trying to say as well, you just summed it up better. :D

A critic's opinion makes no difference once I've listened to something myself, but there's loads of music I simply wouldn't have ever listened to in the first place without first being pointed towards it by a critic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Coen wrote: »
    Yep that's what I've been trying to say as well, you just summed it up better. :D

A critic's opinion makes no difference once I've listened to something myself, but there's loads of music I simply wouldn't have ever listened to in the first place without first being pointed towards it by a critic.

Agree with the above. Analysis of anything creative will always involve a fair slice of personal taste. What is 'bad' music ? Is it as simple as music that's not liked ? I'm not sure that it is, there are lots of good musicians with small fanbases.

Someone like John Peel was such a treasure to anyone who appreciated music, particularly that he had no concept of popularity in his choices. If he liked a track that no one else in the entire music industry liked, it mattered not at all, he'd play it because the music had something to say, irrelevant of who the band/singer was or what kind of music they played. That several of the musicians Peel advocated turned into big names is something labels should think of this the next time they see a musician with no label who has found an audience from nowhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont care for reviews, I sometimes read them but dont really take notice tbf.
    Alot of the music and films i like are often slated and i dont care for critics.
    Its sad that some people do and they wanna be like everyone else!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I'll pay attention to what critics think of certain albums, but I don't award them much importance in general because music is entertainment and different people find different things entertaining.

Plus, critics can often succumb to bias (pro and against). One critic gave BTW a metacritic score of 0. I mean. Come on. :rolleyes:

In terms of influence, I think it depends what kind of artist their opinion is regarding. The general public don't care that Katy Perry and Rihanna albums are critically panned. However, if a "credible" artist is, then it's a whole other story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluemotel wrote: »
    Agree with the above. Analysis of anything creative will always involve a fair slice of personal taste. What is 'bad' music ? Is it as simple as music that's not liked ? I'm not sure that it is, there are lots of good musicians with small fanbases.

Someone like John Peel was such a treasure to anyone who appreciated music, particularly that he had no concept of popularity in his choices.

It's good to see this thread move towards a positive outcome. Some comments are so dismissive of critics without thinking the issue through. Peel is a great example of someone who brought indie and minority music to wider attention without consideration of how popular it might be but how good it was.