Exclusives - PS V XBOX Next Gen?

J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had a PS2 then a 360, undecided as to what to get next, any non fan boy's want to give me an insight in to what will have the best exclusives in the next gen or is it to early to say?

Comments

• KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far too ealry to say but I'm sure there will be the usual ones;
    XBOX
    Project Gotham Racing
    Halo
    Fable
    etc...

PS
    Gran Turismo
    Little Big Planet
    Uncharted
    etc...

Nothing has obviously been announced though because the consoles haven't even been announced. I usually buy whatever my mates are playing so I can play FIFA against them or anything like that.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the usual suspects it's too early to tell. They may not even be launch titles. E3 will be when everything comes out and should shed some light on the new consoles and finally put to bed all the rumour and speculation.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imo IF Microsoft don't improve xboxlive with a playstationplus type service I can see people jumping ship to the ps4 nextgen regardless of launch titles. :)
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-J wrote: »
    I had a PS2 then a 360, undecided as to what to get next, any non fan boy's want to give me an insight in to what will have the best exclusives in the next gen or is it to early to say?

I'm in the same position. I have always had playstations but not out of a particular fanboy position. I got the PSX for the original formula one game. I got ps2 at launch because back then certain titles such as GTA, Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy were either exclusively playstation or were made at least with Sony's console in mind.

I do have a ps3 but I'm open to either Microsoft's or Sony's next gen machine. GT5 was a let down. The only games that are exclusive to Sony that I still like are the Uncharted games. One game brand is not sufficient for me to choose a console by.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    imo IF Microsoft don't improve xboxlive with a playstationplus type service I can see people jumping ship to the ps4 nextgen regardless of launch titles. :)

Not!

It's not as if when PS4 comes along Sony will be offering brand new games for it. They'll no doubt remain PS3 games, and via cloud or something which would make sense really when you consider how the service already works with regards to the "instant games library".

As for the topic it's too early to tell as there's bound to be some new IP. For me being a huge Forza fan there's just no way on earth I'll pass up on a new game, that is a system seller for me, unless something really peculiar happens like if it only works with Kinect2.0 or something. I'm open to the PS4 too, will no doubt end up getting one at some point. No doubt both console wil offer great exclusives.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-J wrote: »

There is no right answer as to which console this generation has the best exclusives as its all about personal taste.

For me having owned an Xbox and then a PS3 I think Sony have the better exclusives and I expect that to continue next generation.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not!

It's not as if when PS4 comes along Sony will be offering brand new games for it. They'll no doubt remain PS3 games, and via cloud or something which would make sense really when you consider how the service already works with regards to the "instant games library".

I disagree, I suspect they'll go for brand new PSN games (rather than £49.99 disc games), plus something like LBP3 as a sweetener. Probably that and some PS3 too, but I fully expect if the service was to continue to PS4 it'll include PS4 games.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »
    I disagree, I suspect they'll go for brand new PSN games (rather than £49.99 disc games), plus something like LBP3 as a sweetener. Probably that and some PS3 too, but I fully expect if the service was to continue to PS4 it'll include PS4 games.
    Not at launch it won't. It will probably follow the same patern as the Vita, where the service moved across 11 months after the hardware launch.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    Not at launch it won't. It will probably follow the same patern as the Vita, where the service moved across 11 months after the hardware launch.

They might not give people ps4 retail titles but they've gotta give paying subscribers summit substantial @ launch & beyond. :)
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    They might not give people ps4 retail titles but they've gotta give paying subscribers summit substantial @ launch & beyond. :)

Yep. Once you start giving you gotta keep giving, great value can quickly become poor value if the freebies are removed. Sony have created a great service with Plus but it might become the pain in their arse... :D

For me, Freebies stop, I stop sub, that's what Sony face. That's my stance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Once you start giving you gotta keep giving, great value can quickly become poor value if the freebies are removed. Sony have created a great service with Plus but it might become the pain in their arse... :D

For me, Freebies stop, I stop sub, that's what Sony face. That's my stance.

Agreed. I will most likely stick with Sony and get the PlayStation 4 unless MS unveil something spectaular and I will still want something worth my £30 a year for my plus sub. I'm not expecting PS4 gmes but at least some decent PS3 games still. The best thing for me so far has been Arkham Asylum which I thought was a fantastic game to give away for "free". Sleeping Dogs have been good too. I wouldn't mind some HD remakes at some point too although I can imagine that some people may moan at that.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see PS+ on PS4 starting with content like Cloud Backwards Compatibility and Cross Game Chat type features so continuing to offer free games each month but PS3 and PSN games then once the PS4 games library grows after 12months or so starting to add a few PS4 games, probably Sonys own. After 24months I can see the service been just like it is now on PS3.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft have to do more to encourage download titles and smaller independent developers if they want to keep on par, never mind having an edge, in terms of software and content delivery.

As it is, they're far too controlling of who can release what and when on the service.
    Forum Member
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    Microsoft have to do more to encourage download titles and smaller independent developers if they want to keep on par, never mind having an edge, in terms of software and content delivery.

As it is, they're far too controlling of who can release what and when on the service.

Really, how do come to that conclusion? I think when it comes to digital content MS lead the way for home consoles. XBLA is by far the best service out there and it's only gone from strength to strength. Just last year alone we saw a huge amount of quality exclusive XBLA games, it's the one area I'd say MS are the most committed to!

Since the home console indie market has yet to be fully tapped I expect MS to step up the game and improve upon XBLIG before Apple and Ouya arrive. As it stands the Indie store may not be a thriving market but there are a lot of great games that are available, it's a self regulated community, MS have very little control over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really, how do come to that conclusion? I think when it comes to digital content MS lead the way for home consoles. XBLA is by far the best service out there and it's only gone from strength to strength. Just last year alone we saw a huge amount of quality exclusive XBLA games, it's the one area I'd say MS are the most committed to!

That's a purely subjective opinion. They have a good service, I won't disagree there. But the best? Most exclusives?

But I'm also talking more about the business side of things, which is a mess for download only titles. There are a lot of obstacles in the way for these developers, not least the way that Microsoft will delay releases of titles as it sees fit.

If Microsoft keeps that stranglehold, it's going to struggle to keep a hold of these sorts of developers.
    Since the home console indie market has yet to be fully tapped I expect MS to step up the game and improve upon XBLIG before Apple and Ouya arrive. As it stands the Indie store may not be a thriving market but there are a lot of great games that are available, it's a self regulated community, MS have very little control over it.

I don't see them making any effort on this front at all. They're scrapping XNA and there doesn't seem to be any replacement in sight. So how DOES the indie community intend to develop on the next XBox, without having to shell out thousands in development hardware?
    Forum Member
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    That's a purely subjective opinion. They have a good service, I won't disagree there. But the best? Most exclusives?

But I'm also talking more about the business side of things, which is a mess for download only titles. There are a lot of obstacles in the way for these developers, not least the way that Microsoft will delay releases of titles as it sees fit.

If Microsoft keeps that stranglehold, it's going to struggle to keep a hold of these sorts of developers.

I don't see them making any effort on this front at all. They're scrapping XNA and there doesn't seem to be any replacement in sight. So how DOES the indie community intend to develop on the next XBox, without having to shell out thousands in development hardware?

Ah so once again you're not speaking as a mere "consumer" like everyone else here, that's always going to confuse people on a website like this unless you state your intentions. I believe out of the home consoles they have by far the most exclusives on XBLA, whether they're the best or not is of course subjective, outside of Sony fanboys/MS haters I am yet to actually meet someone with sufficient experience with both services who doesn't think so. PSN is good too, but it lacks the big games and it doesn't share the same consistency when it comes to new games or promotion.

As for Wii/Wii U, the VC emulation does not count and even if it is did it's very poor in PAL territories and Wiiware is not in the same ballpark as either aside from a few titles.

XNA is not being scrapped, only that the devkits are not receiving any further updates, but games will continued to be made with the latest revisions and fully supported. We leaving this current gen so that makes perfect sense. If you don't think MS (who were the first company to fully back Indie titles on console this gen) will just turn their back on them with the rise of Apple and Ouya then you must be mad. It's obvious MS will have something else in store for next-gen where that's concerned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah so once again you're not speaking as a mere "consumer" like everyone else here,

No, I guess not. It's hard for me to have a consumer only point of view these days, especially when you're also in the thick of business decisions (not that I have any tangible input into them or some sort of final say)

But with that said, it's an important point to make since it affects what the consumer gets and experiences. When somebody asks "what would you like to see" it immediately turns into a "how would you make that happen" sort of question. The last bit being my job these days..

So yeah....I guess the point you're making is that I wasn't clear enough and that maybe I'm just too detached from the normal debate. I'll plead guilty to both counts.

As for Wii/Wii U, the VC emulation does not count and even if it is did it's very poor in PAL territories and Wiiware is not in the same ballpark as either aside from a few titles.

I'll concede that WiiWare did less than stellar. It was completely the wrong way to go about handling indie developers, but this wasn't because of WiiWare concept itself (build titles for download that run from NAND memory); it was because the business terms were horrible and it was never promoted properly.

There's more to the Wii U than the VC though. There are download titles, and also, Unity will be available for the Wii U for free. This gives the indie community the possibility of having a really good shot at doing something neat and cool, on some rather unique hardware.

XNA is not being scrapped, only that the devkits are not receiving any further updates, but games will continued to be made with the latest revisions and fully supported. We leaving this current gen so that makes perfect sense. If you don't think MS (who were the first company to fully back Indie titles on console this gen) will just turn their back on them with the rise of Apple and Ouya then you must be mad. It's obvious MS will have something else in store for next-gen where that's concerned.

It's pretty much the same as killing it off. No updates means no port on the new console

The thing is Microsoft never really fully backed indie development at all. And this is pretty apparent the minute you try and release your indie download title on XBLA.

I think that XNA was just a response to Playstation Linux. And now that this is no longer around, where's the need to have XNA on the next console? From my view, there isn't one. (and err...I have a feeling that it will run like a dog on the new console because of the CPU configuration)

As for what they'll do next for the indie community; I don't know. It most likely won't be XNA. Maybe they'll just be more open, much like Sony was before Vita launched. Sony were giving out development hardware for free, completely relaxing office and business requirements etc. so that indies could get the hardware and sdk.

Perhaps Microsoft will go the same route.
    Forum Member
    I think the Wii U will certainly come into it's own with downloadable titles as time goes by and I fully expect it to improve upon Wiiware, not that it was bad itself since there's a lot of games I've enjoyed on there, just not as much as either PSN or XBLA. Securing The 90's Arcade Racer as console exclusive is a good start I think.

I don't see the relation between PS Linux and XNA since they both offered different things at a consumer level. TBH I never expected the XBLIG to be B/C on the new machine, though it's still possible that will happen, just because revisions on XNA have stopped certainly hasn't slowed down the development of titles and if it's replaced by a fully updated version on the new machine or even open source SDK that remains to be seen. In either case I don't see MS turning their back on the Indie market. Some people act as though MS are ashamed of Indie games or something and contrary to reports of them being buried or hidden away in a dark little corner they are given pride of place on the dashboard and fully advertised.

If they made one mistake it was overestimating the appeal of them I think.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who has both xbox and ps3 i find for me the psn+ offers better value for money and a better service overall.
    XBLA is great in its own way but personally is not for me.
    As for the next gen consoles i will not be buying one until they've been out for at least 2 years. I was stung both by microsoft (red ring of death) and sony (yellow light of death) this generation so i'll be waiting awhile this time around. I have no idea which one i'll be buying either as a self admitted playstation fan it will most likely be the ps4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Project Gotham, Halo, Gears of war enough said.
  • LackadaisicalLackadaisical Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    PS will always have the better exclusives than XB... but XB has Minecraft ;~;
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't agree PS has none of the above, the only exclusives worth playing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me there has never been any decent indie games worth buying on any console. I know some people like them but they aren't for me. Nowhere may immersive enough and nowhere near good enough in play time. I'd much rather play something I can get my head around in story and gameplay
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    bob2005 wrote: »

Uncharted
    Infamous
    LBP
    Killzone
    Resistance
    Gran Turismo

and plenty more
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »

In your opinion. Personally none of the above (PGR, Halo, Gears) hold any appeal to me.

I used to quite like the look of Fable, but with decreasing review scores as the series went on I cooled on the idea of getting a 360 just for one, maybe two games.

With driving games I'll always choose a realistic sim over an arcade racer, and with a third person adventure I'd always choose a lovable rougue over a hulking meathead, that's why, for me, Playstation has the better exclusives.