I'm sorry but why has Dexter & FatBoy not been Axed?

Comments

• StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

I get that EE isn't supposed to be totally realistic, nor is Khali the best actor in the world (pardon the pun), but seriously, the amount of hate for his accent is quite annoying. I don't particularly like the accents in Corrie, but I wouldn't moan about them incessantly as they are realistic for the area the show is set in.[/QUOTE]

They're not really. Most of the accents are all over the place (including Yorkshire) and bear little or no relation to the area of Manchester Corrie is supposed to be set in.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    They're not really. Most of the accents are all over the place (including Yorkshire) and bear little or no relation to the area of Manchester Corrie is supposed to be set in.

I still think it's more realistic than Abi having a Midlands accent or Joey's fake accent. Or Peter and Lucy sounding like they come from a posh south western area of London, rather than attending Walford High and living in E20 all their lives.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think it's more realistic than Abi having a Midlands accent or Joey's fake accent. Or Peter and Lucy sounding like they come from a posh south western area of London, rather than attending Walford High and living in E20 all their lives.

This!,its funny how people complain about Eastenders not being realistic yet Dexter and Fatboy are two of the most realistic and identifiable characters for where Walford is meant to be set.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    This!,its funny how people complain about Eastenders not being realistic yet Dexter and Fatboy are two of the most realistic and identifiable characters for where Walford is meant to be set.

Indeed. For many, Dexter is quite accurate as a young person in London. He might be a little extreme, and the acting isn't that good, but he is realistic for that area of London.

I find it odd that people seem to mock his accent and people that don't mind him because of this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    All this has been blown way out of proportion. No-one thinks they are superior to others, we're just joking about :confused:

It's not even funny though is it, it's just become boring now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah. I don't find it funny. I actually wonder whether most of these Dexter detractors all live on farms in the middle of nowhere?

People like Dexter exist in real life, his accent is very common in London, especially in East London. The actor has a very realistic accent and not a fake one like Joey or Lauren, or a random Midlands one like Abi despite the fact that she is supposed to be born and raised in East London.

I get that EE isn't supposed to be totally realistic, nor is Khali the best actor in the world (pardon the pun), but seriously, the amount of hate for his accent is quite annoying. I don't particularly like the accents in Corrie, but I wouldn't moan about them incessantly as they are realistic for the area the show is set in.

Totally Agree :)
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    The whole thing come across as though you were smugly looking down your nose at all dexter fans, trying to make out that only poorly educated chavs are fans of his. Otherwise, I don't see any need for that addition about people writing like they have special needs.

It was said that Dexter is popular outside this forum. So before I commented on that I did my research. I went to Twitter, typed in "Dexter EastEnders" and saw a large collection of tweets I could barely comprehend because they were written so poorly. My post was directed solely at the cross section of Dexter fans and non fans I discovered on Twitter. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nowhere in my post did I say all Dexter fans are poorly educated chavs. Likewise I never commented on Dexter fans on DS because I can understand their posts perfectly. If you thought I was smugly looking down my nose at you then you're mistaken. This confusion could have been avoided if you'd asked me straight out. Instead you decided to take offence and label me "vile". Would you prefer I lie and pretend I understood every word of those tweets? It was like reading gibberish and that's me being generous.
    If it didn't, then what was his point? Or even the need for his answer?

I know some people on here are in the habit of telling others what they can and can't post about but luckily for the rest of us there's nothing in the terms and conditions that prevents people from contributing to a thread. It was said Dexter is popular outside of DS. If anything I proved that's correct despite the fact I don't like him. Surely a worthwhile contribution if ever there was one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was said that Dexter is popular outside this forum. So before I commented on that I did my research. I went to Twitter, typed in "Dexter EastEnders" and saw a large collection of tweets I could barely comprehend because they were written so poorly. My post was directed solely at the cross section of Dexter fans and non fans I discovered on Twitter. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nowhere in my post did I say all Dexter fans are poorly educated chavs. Likewise I never commented on Dexter fans on DS because I can understand their posts perfectly. If you thought I was smugly looking down my nose at you then you're mistaken. This confusion could have been avoided if you'd asked me straight out. Instead you decided to take offence and label me "vile". Would you prefer I lie and pretend I understood every word of those tweets? It was like reading gibberish and that's me being generous.

I know some people on here are in the habit of telling others what they can and can't post about but luckily for the rest of us there's nothing in the terms and conditions that prevents people from contributing to a thread. It was said Dexter is popular outside of DS. If anything I proved that's correct despite the fact I don't like him. Surely a worthwhile contribution if ever there was one.

Well I apologise then, can you accept my apology?
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not apologising for loathing Dexter. I find him to be an extremely irritating loud mouth who speaks at a speed faster than light. It may be realistic but that's not why i dislike him. Others can and will disagree of course. it's a discussion forum
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I apologise then, can you accept my apology?

Yes of course. It's not worth falling out over:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes of course. It's not worth falling out over:)

Good :)
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not more realistic, it's just as unrealistic. People who are meant to be born and bred (literally on that street) having accents from Yorkshire, Lancashire and other parts of Manchester.
    I've lived in London and Greater Manchester, so I can also hear the differences (Abi's accent always makes me :o too) and don't DON'T get me started on Welsh accents >:(
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    DTC has made EastEnders good again but why the hell did he not axe Khali Best and Ricky Norwood aka Dexter and FatBoy...they are just awful!

Only DTC can answer that making a thread about it every day its not going to change a thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    LOL Dexter's type of people :D
    "Dexterlookssojokescuz", "Ishedumbcuz" :D

What type would that be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    because they only want it realistic on their terms that's why.
    Indeed. For many, Dexter is quite accurate as a young person in London. He might be a little extreme, and the acting isn't that good, but he is realistic for that area of London.

I find it odd that people seem to mock his accent and people that don't mind him because of this.

DS Snobbery thats's why. good thing EE has more viewers on DS. There is a reason they have not been axed all the get the out threads in the world won't change it.

If your that upset would it not make sense to tweet DTC then moan about it on a place where TPTB won't even care about to change his mind.:D
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Can you not just add to your array of pre-existing threads on this topic?

Why you shocked the Op always has to have multiple threads on the same thing to get his point across.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumped... Is it possible we will finally be saying goodbye to these two once their contracts expire?
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumped... Is it possible we will finally be saying goodbye to these two once their contracts expire?

Arthur is sometimes ok but not Fatboy.

As for Dexter he is a totally useless, irritating plank - just like the bloke who plays him.

The sooner he gets the boot the better - and TPTB can then give Jay his storylines back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arthur is sometimes ok but not Fatboy.

As for Dexter he is a totally useless, irritating plank - just like the bloke who plays him.

The sooner he gets the boot the better - and TPTB can then give Jay his storylines back.

Khali Best is on borrowed time I think.
  • Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because there giving DTC Sexual favours?
  • Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Dexter was good with Nancy and I only put up with him because he was Cora's grandson. Before he goes, I want him to meet aunt Rainie though.
  • BringBackZsaZsaBringBackZsaZsa Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Isn't ironic that Vaslav, the one who bangs on about diversity and realism in EastEnders (and rightly so in my view), is the same one calling for the most identifiable BAME characters in the show! Fatboy and Dexter are popular characters, both of them one best Newcomer and it's telling that Fatboy's the only character from E20 who is still around. They are also very authentic and speak with their accent is prevalent in the East End (not Cockney). EastEnders needs more characters like them not fewer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't ironic that Vaslav, the one who bangs on about diversity and realism in EastEnders (and rightly so in my view), is the same one calling for the most identifiable BAME characters in the show! Fatboy and Dexter are popular characters, both of them one best Newcomer and it's telling that Fatboy's the only character from E20 who is still around. They are also very authentic and speak with their accent is prevalent in the East End (not Cockney). EastEnders needs more characters like them not fewer.

Khali cannot ACT that is the problem.
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Khali cannot ACT that is the problem.

Acting is subjective. Khali won an NTA.

Bringbackzsazsa is completely right. You keep demaning, not asking, that Fatboy and Dexter are axed yet both of them are realistic and as modern portrayals of young London black men as you can get. This might shock you but EastEnders do know what they are doing. Fatboy was created by the teenagers who worked on E20. That is why he is so popular with younger audiences because they recognise his character as someone they can identify with.

Your vision of what blacks should be is very outdated and actually quite offensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acting is subjective. Khali won an NTA.

Bringbackzsazsa is completely right. You keep demaning, not asking, that Fatboy and Dexter are axed yet both of them are realistic and as modern portrayals of young London black men as you can get. This might shock you but EastEnders do know what they are doing. Fatboy was created by the teenagers who worked on E20. That is why he is so popular with younger audiences because they recognise his character as someone they can identify with.

Your vision of what blacks should be is very outdated and actually quite offensive.

Care to explain why my vision is outdated?
  • BringBackZsaZsaBringBackZsaZsa Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Care to explain why my vision is outdated?
    Vaslaav, you are completely out of touch with this one. You call for more black characters yet you want to axe two very popular black characters. Why do you want EastEnders to lose authentic characters? Also, you claim Khali Best can't ACT but you have no evidence. Khali won the Best Newcomer award! Quite unbelievable.