The Missing

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    So how was the holding house so readily available?

The child in 2009 went off with a family member.

someone involved knew the house was empty .

Ollie clearly went off with someone amongst that crowd , if not - then what ?
  • gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    This is all confusing enough already so I agree with Cubic don't keep calling her Lauren! I keep thinking I'm on an Eastenders thread by mistake. :confused:

I certainly remember Laurence having a child with her partner - she had to leave Garrett's house when she got a call to say the child was sick. As someone has said, we saw Mark's wife at the hospital and ditto Baptiste's daughter.

Can I please get on the boat with you lot who are close to becoming institutionalised? I'm an early riser so I can do the towels. :D
  • Davina's LabiaDavina's Labia Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squ1rrel5 wrote: »
    Sorry to be obsessed with bees, but when Ollie and tony are swimming there is a football in the pool that's black and yellow, and then Ollie puts on a black and yellow stripy top. Seems to be a theme...

That's a good observation. There was a similar thing in a drama/mystery series on ITV a few years ago called Collision - anyone remember that? The graphics were black and yellow stripes, like a hazard sign, and it turned out at the very end that it was a wasp that caused the motorway pile-up.

In fact The Missing reminds me a lot of Collision for it's sheer complexity, large number of characters, and an ending that's impossible to guess.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    I'll join you if you can promise a nice calm sea - I get sick when it's rough:p

Climb aboard.!!! You'll be steering it - it's your thread. :D

( nice and calm at the moment ;-))
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Malik didn't know what the coin meant , thats maybe why he he then shopped the bent cop , he decided he was of no more use .

I agree. The lab reports were inconclusive so he thought nothing to see. I'm not sure Ziane knew either. He was just desperate to get Malik off his back so gave him something in the way of evidence.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Vincent Bourg an alcoholic and is that why his body is reacting badly to the drugs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Is Vincent Bourg an alcoholic and is that why his body is reacting badly to the drugs?

no , I think he's going thru some sort of chemical castration (?)
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With only one episode left, I'm going for the more obvious. I just don't think there's time for them to take us off on another completely different tangent. The sobriety coin/medal was a big reveal for most viewers, we just happen to have a super sleuth who spotted the connection almost immediately after last week's episode. :)
    So, I think Alain was definitely involved. For me that just leaves motive. Is he part of a paedophile group that included Garrett and his brother, the Mayor ?
    Alain as the abductor is a bit obvious, besides which he's an overweight alcoholic. He's hardly likely to be the most alert or nimble of people to carry out a fast and precisely planned abduction who would attract notice if someone like him tried to drag off Ollie.
    Is Sylvie an innocent party ? Sylvie has been portrayed as the most kindly and sympathetic character throughout, it would be a major surprise if she's involved. But maybe that's the whole idea. .
    She's looking a far more likely candidate. She might have had Ollie's scarf to entice him out of the bar. Except her behaviour post abduction and general personality defies the type of crime she's supposed to have committed. There's not been a single scene that we've had of her talking to or associating with anyone dodgy (other than Alain)..
    The Mayor appears to have done everything in his power to obstruct the investigation, is he just another grubby politician looking after his own interests, or is it something more sinister ?.
    Garrett was the major fundraiser for his political campaigns. Clearly Georges Deloix doesn't want the revelation about Garrett being a paedophilie to surface for obvious reasons, but I don't think Deloix originally knew about Garrett or is involved in a paedo ring.
    I'm still still struggling to see why the Romanian gang would be involved. They could smuggle any number of poor kids from Eastern Europe without the need to be looking around for an English boy to grab, with his dad just a few feet away. Unless they were just doing a contract job for someone ?.
    Only because of the house where Ollie was kept and Karl Seig's connection puts the finger on them being involved. Also why did the Romanian gangster slash Rini's neck as soon as she mentioned Ollie? There would have been no need unless it was done out of panic.
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a good observation. There was a similar thing in a drama/mystery series on ITV a few years ago called Collision - anyone remember that? The graphics were black and yellow stripes, like a hazard sign, and it turned out at the very end that it was a wasp that caused the motorway pile-up.

In fact The Missing reminds me a lot of Collision for it's sheer complexity, large number of characters, and an ending that's impossible to guess.

Agreed.Collision was brilliant,written by Anthony Horowitz....one of the best!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »

Just an observation. Bourg flat in 2006 is plush up market. Way above what you would think a bloke doing the job he was doing could afford. 2014 it is a Spartan council type flat. Indication that he was being 'kept' by someone maybe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borge is now living in the UK isn't he ?

do we know why ? and - would he be allowed in ? he's registered as a sex offender isn't he ?
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Climb aboard.!!! You'll be steering it - it's your thread. :D

( nice and calm at the moment ;-))

Great :)

Will that mean we're Missing at sea presumed bonkers? :D
    Forum Member
    I don't think anyone will have to "presume" in my case Loz - that's a definite for sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »

Garrett was the major fundraiser for his political campaigns. Clearly Georges Deloix doesn't want the revelation about Garrett being a paedophilia to surface for obvious reasons, but I don't think Deloix knew about Garrett or is involved in a paedo ring.

Interesting observation. It is a bit like the Saville stuff. There is this rush now to think that those who were alongside Saville in his fund raising must have known or been involved in his activities. More likely they wanted the financial benefit and deliberately took option of better not to know.
  • Davina's LabiaDavina's Labia Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Agreed.Collision was brilliant,written by Anthony Horowitz....one of the best!

I particularly loved the alternative "if only..." sequence of events at the end. The woman in the service station killing the wasp, and everyone proceeding on their journeys as normal. How one tiny moment has a butterfly effect for so many people.

Something like that would also work brilliantly at the end of The Missing.
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. The lab reports were inconclusive so he thought nothing to see. I'm not sure Ziane knew either. He was just desperate to get Malik off his back so gave him something in the way of evidence.

A lab report on a coin. That was where the writers lost all perspective and showed themselves up

So Malik walks into a lab and says what?

Tell me what the coin is made of?
    who does it belong to?
    Are there any fingerprints? Please compare it to hmmm.....The interpol database
    Can you check for DNA and compare it to hmmmm...the interpol database that you have such easy access to
    When was it smelted?
    Is there any pollen on top to see what year the coin was left in the drain
    Lastly i am a freelance reporter can you tell me anything about this coin and please can you give me a discount.?

Dont get blinkered. Watch the show and see if it makes sense all the time.
    :p:D:D:D

PS not directed at Aurora. To anyone in general who thought ha what a brilliant way to solve an enigma....get a lab report on a coin.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see another series with Baptiste. Maybe solving different crimes each episode, or a single crime that is the focus of the whole series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I'd love to see another series with Baptiste. Maybe solving different crimes each episode, or a single crime that is the focus of the whole series.

inspector Morse....he had a limp
  • nikki1nikki1 Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What still has me puzzled is the scarf...no mention of its disappearance by Tony or Emily
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how was the holding house so readily available?

The child in 2009 went off with a family member.

Yes, the house must have been pre-arranged. Empty with owners away and conveniently situated just a couple of minutes away from the bar/swimming pool.
    Agree about the similarity with 2009 as well. The ease with which Ollie was removed from the bar, when he was within a few metres of his dad, suggests it was someone he knew. If we discount Emily (which I have) that again points back to Hotel Eden, both Alain and Sylvie were very friendly towards Ollie.
    Way back in the beginning, I thought Ollie had been a specific target. I'm still wondering if that was the case, but I'm no nearer to working out why. As a poster mentioned earlier, if they made a habit of abducting the children of tourists, even the French police would have put 2 and 2 together and realised there was a pattern. :)
    So why Ollie ?
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vincent worked in the Burger bar in Chalons DB in 2006, and got irate when Marks's son got too close to him.
    FF to 2014 and he's working there again when he vomits , possibly due to side effect of injections - which he is having in UK
    Didn't we see him living in Uk at some point (near a school) - when was this?

How does he afford to travel to and fro to UK on a burger flipper's wage?

Also- the drugs he is being given are to chemially castrate him, so most probably is something like Goserelin which is given to men with advanced prosate cancer. I don't recall the side effects being so bad with patients i cared for.
    He is so sick that the doctor (who wins Worst Bedside Manner award) wants to stop treatment
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »

You are not alone :)
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Malik didn't know what the coin meant , thats maybe why he he then shopped the bent cop , he decided he was of no more use .

Either that or he had not the coin back from the lab when Zain was threatening him. he was terrified what Zaine would do to him so he shopped him and handed in all the photo copies of evidence he had.
    Zaine had been arrested by the time the coin was returned from lab so it was too late to hand in.
    I dont think his plan was to deliberately withhold evidence as he could never reveal it in his book.
    Forum Member
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    You are not alone :)

He is playing a very empathetic character - couple that with the French accent, a definite glint in his eye from time to time and such an engaging smile............I wonder if he'd like to join us on the boat? (Well, really, I'd like to say I wonder if he'd like to join ME on the boat, but playing fair here).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Malik story has lost a lot of credibility. The simple question is

What is his interest.

I proposed that Malik probably picked up from where his father left the investigations into a child abduction in Morocco (possible his brother). I also proposed that maybe Ziane was involved.

Now it appears that Ziane killed his wife and took on a new identity.

How did Malik work it out that Ziane was the man who killed his wife? What was his interest in that case. And how did he happen to recognise him from the current kidnapping case. Too much of a coincidence amongst a host of other silly coincidences like the scarf, facebook, same phrase used by Ian and Bourg etc etc

How the BBC would wish that they had thought of my theory that Malik was investigating a brother lost in Morocco.