The Missing

Comments

• Sclark78Sclark78 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Davina's theory is wrong IMO, the two look nothing like each other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Arg! Sorry I posted the wrong link for the Starz trailer. The scenes you are looking for are around 30 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfombDw5xA
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Totally agree about watching back to back. There have been times I'd wished I had not got into watching this weekly. Remembering detail is almost impossible but I would have missed the journey on here. I sat down last Tuesday and watched the first four episodes again. So revealing.

I do think though if they do a second series series they need to do more to help identification of timelines particularly in early episodes.

Don't you think it's part of the fun, though - trying to remember things from earlier episodes and putting the pieces together. Admittedly, I have gone back over the earlier episodes myself to clarify things - thank goodness for the technology we have to save things. It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle spreading over 8 weeks. I'll miss it (and this thread) when it all comes to an end.
  • FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Mark is far more than a Liason officer, so many little clues in the series given in just one sentence that you can easily miss.
    When Mark goes to get the missing evidence off Malak. Malak knows something about Mark we have yet to learn.
    He tells Mark something on lines of, "Are you still a detective anyway."
    So Mark has to be more than a Liason officer and the fact Malak ridicules him i take to mean there is a possibility that Mark is under pressure and may be about to loose his job.
    I think Mark may be a UK detective who happened to be on holiday in Chalon which cuts the coincidence down considerably. he probably has had some training in Laison but his main job is a detective.

Didn't Mark resign when he missed out on promotion. Maybe that is what Malik is referring to.

You are right that it would cut the coincidence down if he is a detective used as a liaison officer. I've gone with his own description of being the English liaison officer assigned to the case because he was on holiday nearby - maybe that is why it doesn't sit right with me!
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you think it's part of the fun, though - trying to remember things from earlier episodes and putting the pieces together. Admittedly, I have gone back over the earlier episodes myself to clarify things - thank goodness for the technology we have to save things. It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle spreading over 8 weeks. I'll miss it (and this thread) when it all comes to an end.

I know the flashbacks back and forth are annoying for some people but they are vital and without them the series wouldn't work. we are not learning what happened in 2006 at that time, we learn it in 2014 from little snippets of chat or scenes that seems irrelevant at the time. you only realise it's relevance when you hear something else later. this is what makes the series so unique for me, you can draw conclusions on ordinary everyday facts in 2014 to solve the mystery in 2006. problem is they throw so much irrelevant stuff that really just either unimportant or Red Herrings and that's part of the fun, cant have it to easy can we,:confused:
    I do hope the writers stick to the same format in the next series, it must take a tremendous amount of work to go over each episode and make sure all the facts add up assuming the ending doesn't let us down
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. I can't remember the last time a drama series captured my attention to this degree. Such detailed writing, both plot and characterisation. Like many here I want it to end... and yet I don't want it to! Being able to participate on this thread has been the real highlight for me :)
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    I know the flashbacks back and forth are annoying for some people but they are vital and without them the series wouldn't work. we are not learning what happened in 2006 at that time, we learn it in 2014 from little snippets of chat or scenes that seems irrelevant at the time. you only realise it's relevance when you hear something else later. this is what makes the series so unique for me, you can draw conclusions on ordinary everyday facts in 2014 to solve the mystery in 2006. problem is they throw so much irrelevant stuff that really just either unimportant or Red Herrings and that's part of the fun, cant have to easy can we,:confused:
    I do hope the writers stick to the same format in the next series, it must take a tremendous amount of work to go over each episode and make sure all the facts add up assuming the ending doesn't let us down

The flashbacks haven't spoilt it for me either. I love 'em! They make me concentrate and work harder - but no where near as hard as the writers obviously had to work. Clever guys.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it sad that ive booked the evening off work so I don't miss the final episode?
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    Me too. I can't remember the last time a drama series captured my attention to this degree. Such detailed writing, both plot and characterisation. Like many here I want it to end... and yet I don't want it to! Being able to participate on this thread has been the real highlight for me :)

Me neither - for that reason I rarely watch them because they are usually too obvious (I watched a repeat of Secret Smile with David Tennant the other night and it was irritatingly inferior :()

The acting from all the participants has been amazing, especially Jimmy Nesbitt it has to be said. He gets a lot of criticism in general, but he's really delivered in this series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Saxondale wrote: »
    Are the good ladies of this forum always so predatory over a handsome male lead?

It is as if they are collectively in heat! Most unseemly!

:D:D

lol why so surprised? if it were an attractive female, men are usually all over it like bees round a hive ^_^ - thought id use an appropriate example hehehe

God, im almost beginning to feel excitedly-nervous :blush: sad i know but i keep thinking about whats going to happen in the end. So many theories I cant for the life of me fathom what will become of the end. Im defo buying the dvd set, anyone else? just because i know for a fact ive missed countless little clues and bits of dialogue, and i wonder if watching it back again after we see the ending makes a difference in anyway.
    Forum Member
    Is it sad that ive booked the evening off work so I don't miss the final episode?

No.

:D
  • flirtythirty76flirtythirty76 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    stub71 wrote: »
    Arg! Sorry I posted the wrong link for the Starz trailer. The scenes you are looking for are around 30 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfombDw5xA

Aggghhh I just can't get this to play!!!!:confused:
  • flirtythirty76flirtythirty76 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    stub71 wrote: »
    There is a US trailer for the series available on youtube which shows some scenes of Ollie we haven't yet seen, which may change your thoughts on what happened to him, it certainly has for me. You'll need proxy to watch it as it's not available in the UK.

Apologies if anyone has posted this already.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LoJGEFgai0

Description of scenes:
    Ollie is in a wood hiding behind a tree in daylight. 2 people are visible in the distance, one in a white hat/helmet and a long black haired female.

Ollie running in daylight in a wood.

Ollie in a bedroom at night, reaching for the window.

In a hallway with female near Ollie.

In bedroom near window again.

Ollie running (towards a figure?)

A wedding type scene in what appears to be a marquee, from behind a woman's head looking at a child in the entrance.

Bedroom window again, close-up with Ollie.

Ollie in woods at night, turning his head to look behind him.

Would appear that these all happen in 2006.

Stub71 As a spoiler what are you now thinking after watching the U.S. trailer which I can't view?!?
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saxondale wrote: »
    Are the good ladies of this forum always so predatory over a handsome male lead?

It is as if they are collectively in heat! Most unseemly!

I can't speak for others on this thread and at the tender age of 61 Tchéky Karyo is certainly no spring chicken, but Jean Baptiste's character is one of the most loveable investigators I have ever seen on a small screen.

Move over Daniel Craig & Benedict Cumberbatch - you've got some serious competition!

(I bet Karyo is as baffled about this as anyone - he says that throughout his acting career he has always been referred to as "that Frenchman in the background").
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think many of us have become, "sad" over this programme :D

Also, the ladies, on here, have, apparently, been acting in an, " Unseemly manner" towards the delicious Julien Baptiste, Lol.....Great fun :blush:

PS....I have pre- ordered the DVD ;-)
  • CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Flowes wrote: »
    You are right that it would cut the coincidence down if he is a detective used as a liaison officer. I've gone with his own description of being the English liaison officer assigned to the case because he was on holiday nearby - maybe that is why it doesn't sit right with me!

Mark said at the time that he had volunteered to come in as the family liaison officer because he was the nearest person to Chalons du Bois when the news about the abduction broke. He was on holiday somewhere nearby with his son.
    Forum Member
    gerry23 wrote: »
    To all my fellow "Baptiste Babes" - and a little bonus girls - allegedly, he's one of the highest paid actors in the world and has an extensive property portfolio. His net worth is thought to be around $275 million.

Get's better by the minute doesn't it? ;-)

AND he's divorced too, and no mention of a current girlfriend in any of the info I found.

Time to seize the moment! ;-)
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »
    :confused: I thought it was just injured (or perhaps "The Missing" is a reference to his leg :blush:)
    As long as it's just his leg........
    Forum Member
    BirdyBee wrote: »
    It's so obvious. I'm tired of reading the most far-fetched, ridiculous theories on here! Is nobody actually concentrating?!

Ollie was abducted by aliens from Planet Bee. Baptiste is their leader disguised in human form. Everything that has happened in the series has just been a way of distracting you from the faint buzzing in the background, which is subliminally brainwashing you so you will be subservient to the superior Bees once they make their presence fully known on Tuesday night.

By Wednesday mere humans will be colonised as workers. Their lives will be at the mercy of the great Bee Baptiste.

Bees rule! ;-)

(Sorry...should have spoilered this...)

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Mark resign when he missed out on promotion. Maybe that is what Malik is referring to.

He wasn't officially assigned. He told the Hughes he volunteered as liason officer, rather than his bosses assigning him
    [Edit] Someone already posted this in 3515 :)
  • gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    CubicEyes wrote: »
    As long as it's just his leg........

Dear me, CubicEyes.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    I can't speak for others on this thread and at the tender age of 61 Tchéky Karyo is certainly no spring chicken, but Jean Baptiste's character is one of the most loveable investigators I have ever seen on a small screen.

Move over Daniel Craig & Benedict Cumberbatch - you've got some serious competition!

(I bet Karyo is as baffled about this as anyone - he says that throughout his acting career he has always been referred to as "that Frenchman in the background").

Agree entirely (though N.B. he's Julien not Jean, please).

We womenfolk LIKE our good old-fashioned heroes who are......... ethical, moral, kind, compassionate, unselfish, intelligent, empathic, tender,............. etc., etc., etc.; yet still masculine, courageous and heroic and willing to stand up for what's right and good and just in this world.

We are sick and tired of cynicism and endless gratuitous violence and anti-heroes who at best have little or no moral compass, and at worst are serial killers or the like.

We want to be entertained, thrilled, uplifted, and ultimately swept off our feet by the lovable package of qualities that makes up a proper hero. And if that package is delivered in the shape of a half-Turkish, half-Greek 61-year-old actor with an almost edibly delicious French accent, so much the better! :)

Please, oh PLEASE, don't let Julien turn out to be the villain!!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    CubicEyes wrote: »
    Agree entirely (though N.B. he's Julien not Jean, please).

We womenfolk LIKE our good old-fashioned heroes who are......... ethical, moral, kind, compassionate, unselfish, intelligent, empathic, tender,............. etc., etc., etc.; yet still masculine, courageous and heroic and willing to stand up for what's right and good and just in this world.

We are sick and tired of cynicism and endless gratuitous violence and anti-heroes who at best have little or no moral compass, and at worst are serial killers or the like.

We want to be entertained, thrilled, uplifted, and ultimately swept off our feet by the lovable package of qualities that makes up a proper hero. And if that package comes in the shape of a half-Turkish, half-Greek 61-year-old with an almost edibly delicious French accent, so much the better! :)

I don't know why but this bit cracked me up, im still laughing.

I agree, im in my 20's and id take him over a muscular young 'lad' in a heartbeat. Mature but still cute and playful = win. Besides I like the scruffy fluffy look.

Turkish delight indeed
  • FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    New to forum, love this series and agree that it's length is relevant to help us fully understand the circumstances. I've enjoyed the split time differences. Usually at this point in a series I have a clear idea of who my main suspect is but this has been so very cleverly written that I don't know what the likely outcome will be. It's probably the most true to life series I have watched in that we have seen that similar situations can and do take years to solve.

My comments are on the coin - whether it is Alain's or not is irrelevant, whether it was planted or switched is irrelevant. The fact that Tony believes he knows who it belongs to is relevant, as this will lead them to Alain who must know something as it's the last episode so a conclusion will be reached because of that link. I think the person in the trailer being dragged away is Alain.

I haven't liked Mark from the beginning but maybe the worst thing he has done is simply take advantage of a vulnerable woman. As a family liaison officer I do find it odd that he is seen to be more involved in the investigation side of things than spending time with the family 'liaising'! He does also seem to be around when important information is revealed, which later looks like it has been leaked to the Romanian gang. Baptists also seems to trust him explicitly.
    FrankBT wrote: »
    He wasn't officially assigned. He told the Hughes he volunteered as liason officer, rather than his bosses assigning him
    [Edit] Someone already posted this in 3515 :)

Thanks for reminding me he volunteered. Julien's instincts have proved to be accurate so far, he placed a lot of trust in Mark from the outset so maybe he will prove not to be as dodgy as he appears to be!
  • Weenie_StixWeenie_Stix Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Thanks for reminding me he volunteered. Julien's instincts have proved to be accurate so far, he placed a lot of trust in Mark from the outset so maybe he will prove not to be as dodgy as he appears to be!

Maybe we're just assuming Tony means Alain when he says he knows who the coin belongs to. It might mean something else to him altogether.