11.22.63 New Stephen King.

marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
Forum Member
✭✭
11.22.63 New Stephen King.

Just bought this for my Kindle and to sync with my iPad and will be starting it tomorrow.

If anyone else is reading it post comments here would love to read them.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if any supermarkets are doing a good deal on this one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spotted it inside WH Smith today for £10. I cannot believe how massive the book is. Something like 700+ pages. It dwarfs The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I suggest it's better buying it for Kindle/ereader for those who have got access to that technology.

I'm interested see if the latest novel is any good. As I gather it's more of a serious time travel/historical tale than a horror/thriller tale.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a little under half way through - and thank God for the Kindle. So far, not bad and much, much better than Under the Dome.

I like Jake/George but it is taking some time to get to the heart of the plot and suspect, like a lot of his books, this will be way too long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 1/3rd of the way through. Seems good so far.

hopefully people will not use unmarked spoilers on this thread!
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also about a third in and really enjoying it one of his best for a long time. I am one of his "constant readers" and devour everything he writes. But I have been disappointed with a few of his latest efforts.

Since I am getting on a bit I can remember the early sixties and think he has got the feel of them just right. Food definately tasted better like our hero is finding out!

I hope it keeps up the pace and we get a good ending.
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read about 15% on my Kindle, started last night, I have got right back into Kingy after not reading him for about 15- 20 years.
  • claire13claire13 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone I didnt realise there was a new Stephen King book out, have gone straight to my Kindle and downloaded it. Looking forward to reading it.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    babysweet wrote: »
    I'm a little under half way through - and thank God for the Kindle. So far, not bad and much, much better than Under the Dome.

Under The Dome is one of my favourite King books so wondering whether I will like this one - I'm normally big on time travel !
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 21,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the book is one of the contenders for this year's Bad Sex Awards. Scroll down to the end for a potentially award-winning passage in all its pulsating, sweat-drenched glory. :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    There is no such thing as a 22nd month. Or is that the point? An impossibility occured.
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 21,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as a 22nd month. Or is that the point? An impossibility occured.
    It'll be American usage so, if it's a date, it is 22 November 1963.
  • BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    It'll be American usage so, if it's a date, it is 22 November 1963.

It's the date of JFK's assassination which the protagonist tries to prevent.
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    Apparently the book is one of the contenders for this year's Bad Sex Awards. Scroll down to the end for a potentially award-winning passage in all its pulsating, sweat-drenched glory. :)

"Oh dear, oh my dear, oh my dear dear God, oh sugar!" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its a good book. I keep thinking that its a little slow in places but I still want to keep reading it.

Nearly at the end now, not sure it one of my favourites, but the 750 odd pages seem to be going pleasently enough
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished it and really enjoyed it. Good story and a good ending one of his best for a long time.

Only problem now is he has got me obsessed with the JFK assassination!

Just watched the film and devouring any thing I can find on it.
    Not normally into conspiracys but think King is wrong about Oswald being the lone gunman!

Then that's what all good books do, get you thinking!
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone that might be intrested Tesco are currently selling this book instore for £7.99.I was in ealier today & happened to spot this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading on my Kindle and about 25% through. Loving it so far. I haven't read much of King but I was pretty disappointed with Under the Dome and Duma Key.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm half way through at the moment. Loved the first 1/3 but it seems to have dipped somewhat. I couldn't drag myself away to start with but haven't picked it up at all yet today. Will carry on as reviews on Amazon say it picks up again.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished it, and I think it's his best for years. However, it does flag a bit in the middle, and gets a bit rushed at the end.
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished reading last week, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I stopped reading Stephen King for several years because I just got bored with his stories. But I picked up Under The Dome in Asda one day simply because of the size of it! Really enjoyed that. Waited with bated breath for the next one - and was disappointed with the synopsis of the story when I read it.

Time travel is NOT a storyline I would normally read, because I just don't like Sci Fi/Fantasty type reading material.

But I thought he wrote it in a (fairly) believable way, without exploiting the time travel aspect. The time travel was for a mission, but showed the ripple effect that was likely to happen.

I would completely recommend as reading fodder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The time travel aspect is what attracted me to it, although I haven't read any other time travel books, but love the concept of time travel and did watch 'Lost' from start to finish!

The JFK element is the part that I wasn't so interested in, so worried it would be all about the ins and outs of the JFK assassination but I'm still finding it really interesting, in fact I wish my JFK knowledge was better as I'd probably get even more out of it.
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was around when he was shot, but I'm afraid the old saying that you remember where you were and what you were doing just doesn't work with me - I was only 6 years old, and far more interested in being out playing, than watching something like that on TV.

I've watched the movies, read a few books since then, and still enjoyed the book because it didn't cram hard facts or conspiracies at your.

I didn't want it to finish...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above I'm really enjoying this I like George/Jake and Sadie and most of the supporting characters about 50% through now. I haven't read any of it for a few days now so this is going to be a stupid question but:
    What/Who is Jimla? I know its something to do with when he was in Derry but I can't remember what
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,012
    Forum Member
    I have just started it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished it a couple of days ago, and usually I start a new book as soon as I've finished one but I've had to give it a couple of days as I don't think I could 'get into' another book just yet because I enjoyed it so much, and it's still very fresh in my mind.

I loved the first 1/3 and the last 1/3 but as I've said before it really does lag in the middle. Quite a lot could have been cut down, without losing anything from the story. And is it just me or does SK seem to have quite a thing about Marina Oswald? :D

I sort of saw the end coming, I had the general gist right, just not the details. But that didn't stop me enjoying it when it all happened. I think it's my new 2nd fave SK book, after The Stand, which I doubt will ever be topped for me. The very end of the book made me blub like a right girl. :o:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    I sort of saw the end coming, I had the general gist right, just not the details. But that didn't stop me enjoying it when it all happened. I think it's my new 2nd fave SK book, after The Stand, which I doubt will ever be topped for me. The very end of the book made me blub like a right girl. :o:)

How we danced :cry: