Samsung M3 External Drive

I have a M3 usb drive that I was deleting a partition through windows disk management when it froze.

now when I plug the drive in it says it needs formatting but when I try and format it it fails.

get the message D:\ windows was unable to complete formatting.

I have ran the Samsung drive manager software and it says the drive is working fine

anyone any ideas

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bit worrying as I have one of those.

But have you tried using Linux to reformat it?
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Bit worrying as I have one of those.

But have you tried using Linux to reformat it?

haven't got Linux but if I cant sort it I take it back its only 6 month old
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    -Batman- wrote: »
    haven't got Linux but if I cant sort it I take it back its only 6 month old

Not sure how technical you are, but you can download linux free from the net and install on a USB drive.

I had to do it a couple of times to get a drive working when windows wouldn't work.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Batman- wrote: »
    I have a M3 usb drive that I was deleting a partition through windows disk management when it froze.

now when I plug the drive in it says it needs formatting but when I try and format it it fails.

get the message D:\ windows was unable to complete formatting.

I have ran the Samsung drive manager software and it says the drive is working fine

anyone any ideas
    If the drive is showing up in Windows then right click on it and select properties. On the Tools tab click the Check Now button, Select Automatically Fix Errors if it isn't already then OK.

See what that does.

It should also be possible to delete the partition from Disk Management again and create a new one before formatting.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    For those occasions when Disk Management refuses to carry out basic tasks, try a tool like EaseUS Partition Manager instead.

Obviously test the drive thoroughly before using it for any important data (and even more obviously, ensure you have a backup).