The Doctor Who Series 8 Scoresheet Thread

Comments

• TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath: 7/10
    Into the Dalek: 8/10

I really quite enjoyed Into the Dalek. The story itself is nothing special or particularly unique, but there was nothing over the top, no smug and supposedly witty lines, proper dialogue, good pacing, a fantastic performance from Capaldi (you'd hardly believe this was his second episode), some actual character development between Clara and Danny making it feel like this was actually an episode from part of a series rather than a "movie of the week" and a little bit of arc development.

Basically it was nothing fancy, just a solid Doctor Who adventure.

I also decreased Deep Breath's score to 7 from 8 because I felt Into the Dalek was better than Deep Breath, but not quite worthy of a 9.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath 3/10

Into the Dalek: 5/10

Well it was better than last week's episode (that didn't take that much to do that though)

Peter is still my big quibble sadly. I'm not sold on his as the Doctor whatsoever. He doesn't feel like the Doctor at all, too dark and just plain rude for my liking. It just feels like Peter is a lead actor on the show, he's not the main character...

Clara is still boring for me (Jenna as ever the problem sadly) and she's not adding a lot for me. Danny was nice, but hopefully that can be expanded upon and he brings out the best in Clara.

The ending of the main plot felt a little convenient too for my liking, it just ended very suddenly. I wasn't too fond of the directing again - Ben Wheatley just doesn't suit Doctor Who for me. It was just plain off...

The music was also quite uninspired just like last week. Nothing sticks out from Murray at the moment which is highly disappointing.

Overall, better than last week but it still felt highly lacking in places. I didn't feel the threat was there. Michael Smiley was very much underused but Zawe Ashton was decent (wish she'd been taken aboard). Peter is the big sticking point though. He's not the Doctor at all for me..
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath: 6/10
    Into The Dalek: 9/10
    I liked it a lot.
    Peter Capaldi's Doctor fleshed out more in this epsiode, he comes off as maybe a more flippant Doctor and ignorant of other peoples feelings or requests, but he's even paranoid about how other people see him, he asks Clara, and he even gets judgement from the Dalek.

The way that they dealt with going into the Dalek was well done, to be honest they've been running out of ways to use the Daleks well recently and this was the best they've been for some time. It dealt with a lot of morality which was nice to see, how the message was put across that even if you are bad (like the Dalek), you can still improve and change the way you are. Clara was useful again which was nice to see.

In conclusion, it's an innovative, action filled and moral episode which fleshes out both The Doctors and Clara's characters nicely. The action scenes this episodes were actually shot well, unlike last weeks. Oh and Journey asking to come with the Doctor seemed slightly tacked on. The supporting cast was pretty unremarkable in the way they played their characters
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath: 8/10
    Into The Dalek: 8/10

I don't know what my expectations were, but episode 2 met them. It didn't exceed them, but didn't fall short of them, either - which has become all too easy for a Dalek episode. I appreciate that the Daleks have been permanently re-established in the Whoniverse - and they appear to have stuck reasonably well to an interior ship design from the last series. Remember that Series 5 ship? Uck. Still a bit white and bland, mind... but better.

I wanted seeking, locating and destroying - there was a whole lot of that, and the x-ray effect returns, too! I didn't have any concerns about Capaldi and I still don't. I feel bad for those who don't feel him as The Doctor - but he has clicked instantly for me - and is still coming out with things which take me off guard. I like that. Who would have thought of seeing the man drenched in protein residue before clambering through a Dalek's internal circuitry. He's pulling off Doctor Who's ridiculous concepts in fine form. Terrific.

Not sure about Clara. Her vulnerabilities last week raised her higher than this week, I felt. The ending could have been more cohesive and perhaps should have ended with The Doctor and Clara still in the TARDIS to make the most of that extra minute. But still enjoying her more than Series 7 - so that's the main thing.

A good Doctor Who story. A bit more shaky directing from Wheatley when things speed up - but perhaps it's just me. Journey left something to be desired. Missy is the new Kovarian, though hopefully not quite so in execution.

Not the best Dalek episode - but far, far from the worst - and thinking about it, easily the best Dalek appearance of the Moffat era. A much better second story than Beast Below, Curse & Dinosaurs! Keep it up, Series 8!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath - 7/10
    In to the Dalek - 8/10
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Not the best Dalek episode - but far, far from the worst - and thinking about it, easily the best Dalek appearance of the Moffat era. A much better second story than Beast Below, Curse & Dinosaurs! Keep it up, Series 8!

Ooh, I disagree with that so, so much but I don't want to go into the reasons on this thread in particular why, it's not the right place for it! But quite simply for me, all those three episodes were far better than Into the Dalek...
  • brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath - 8.5/10
    Into The Dalek - 9/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath = 8/10
    Into The Dalek =6/10

Overall I was quite underwhelmed with Twelve and actually going inside a Dalek.
    Apart from the 'Dalek Antibodies', when they were locating the problem inside the Dalek I thought was really boring and couldn't see a reason why they were doing it or what they were going to achieve. Capaldis doctor wasn't keeping me engaged either, unlike in Deep Breath. However towards the second half of being inside the dalek I enjoyed more, when the dalek became normal again and there was a sense of danger for those inside it and the crew members of the ship alike. I especially liked when the dalek called the doctor a good dalek, and when he was looking inside the doctors soul.
    In Deep Breath I loved Missy at the end, however in Into The Dalek I think the paradise scene just interrupted the flow of what was going on and was abit abrupt, would've been better suited at the end.
    Apart from that I enjoyed everything else when they weren't inside a dalek.

I think for me the problem with the first half of being inside a dalek was the doctor just seemed to dull for me. He was inside his greatest foe, somewhere he has never been before and could learn a lot from being inside and he didn't even seem bothered. There was nothing to keep me interested.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath 8.5/10
    Into the Dalek 9/10
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath- 8/10
    Into The Dalek - 8.5/10 (Actually gave it 9 on the episode thread, but on reflection only liked it as a story *slightly* more than last weeks so trying to be consistent.)

Pretty darn good start to, um, Season 34, for me. :cool:
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath 9/10
    Into the Dalek 8/10

Very solid episode, just not particularly thrilling. Clara's whole date thing felt mind-numbingly boring and poorly written, but kudos for at least trying to give her a storyline.
    Best line - Rusty: "I am not a good Dalek, you are a good Dalek." Choked me up a bit. :blush:
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath: 9.0/10
    Into The Dalek: 8.5/10
  • WhoMadWhoMad Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath - 7.5/10
    Into The Dalek - 8/10

Quite enjoyable and better than last week. I liked the idea that the good Dalek was only caused by a radiation leak. Capaldi continues to put in a strong performance, as does Jenna. However some of the dialogue in the Danny/Clara scenes seemed a bit forced. There were some heavy call backs to 'Dalek' which made parts feel like you've seen it all before. The antibodies were very similar to the ones featured in 'Let's Kill Hitler' but only less impressive. Ben Wheatley directed this episode to a higher standard than the last but there were still a few problems with the action sequences and SFX shots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath - 9/10
    Into the Dalek - 9.5/10
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath 10/10
    Into the Dalek 10/10

Alas I have a suspicion (based on the fact I've seen the Ep 3 leak :kitty:) that the 10's will be stopping shortly. :(
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    SERIES 8
    Deep Breath - 7/10
    Into the Dalek - 7/10

A slight improvement over last weeks jumbled and overly-long introduction, but still quite consistent in terms of both quality and style. There is a definite sense of this being a series, as opposed to a line of 'specials', which was the vibe Series 7 gave off. I think the decision to spend a bit of time with Clara seperate from the Doctor was hugely helpful. But I think the best new idea was to interject the Missy scene at a relatively random point in the episode - it really gives the impression that the forces at work are genuinely at work whilst The Doctor does his thing, rather than feeling like something needing to be bolted on at the end to keep you hooked as a viewer.

It was nice to return to the daleks without a big song and dance. The daleks were just there, and it gave them such a better story because of it. No need to introduce or explain them, no need to write them off again and no need to tie each consecutive Dalek story into the continuity of the last one. It was a genuine dip-into-the-adventure kind of story, and it's exactly what the Daleks need for a little while. I think it's a shame we didn't see any of the New Paradigm Daleks, though I doubt many people will be missing them. I think I still want to see them in their senior positions, and this would have been a brilliant story to involve the 'Scientist' Dalek or something. Still, it was immensely satisfying to see the Daleks killing again and being in their normal form. The 'good Dalek' element was a bit too close to the concept of Dalek in Series 1 to feel particularly original, and the script wasn't particularly insightful, but it was competent enough and delivered a decent story with passable guest characters.

The effects have picked up yet again since the last Dalek story (Asylum of the Daleks), the music wasn't too intrusive most of the time, the episode felt a bit rushed but overall the pacing has far improved, and production in general really seems to have been stepped up. The direction here felt so much better than what was on offer in Deep Breath. If you can overlook the relatively simple story that doesn't really try anything new, you end up with a very safe-feeling episode but also one that is totally not offensive and far preferable to much of what Series 7 had to offer. And if they can keep Capaldi developing his character so flawlessly too, I think this series could actually deliver on many of its promises.

PROS AND CONS
    + Capaldi feels like he has been The Doctor for ages, and it's a natural fit for him.
    + Brilliant cinematography and directing.
    + Random Missy interject helps give the impression that plans are unfolding whilst The Doctor travels, rather than being elements bolted on to the end of his adventures.
    + Great to see the Daleks just there, without a big song and dance as to why and how.
    + Production has stepped up a big notch, with better effects and a less intrusive score.
    - An underwhelmingly realised concept. The inside of the Dalek was actually rather boring as expected.
    - Not so keen on Danny, mainly as I want to explore the Twelve/Clara dynamic for the series.
    - Story is a bit simple, and lacks the depth it kind of needs to leave an impression.

INTO THE DALEK COMPARED TO OTHER SECOND EPISODES...
    The End of the World - 8/10
    Tooth and Claw - 8/10
    The Shakespeare Code - 7/10
    The Fires of Pompeii - 8/10
    The Beast Below - 8/10
    Day of the Moon - 7/10
    Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - 6/10
    Into the Dalek - 7/10
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Into the Dalek: 9/10. I loved it. I'm expecting fireworks between the Doctor and Danny at some point.

Into the Dalek compared to other second episodes:

The End of the World 8/10
    Tooth and Claw 8/10
    The Shakespeare Code 8/10
    The Fires of Pompeii 10/10
    The Beast Below 7/10
    Day of the Moon 8/10
    Dinosaurs on a Spaceship 7/10
    Into the Dalek 9/10
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath - 7/10
    Into the Dalek - 5/10

Sorry, but this just didn't do it for me at all. The rating is only as high as 5/10 because I thought the concept was interesting (though woefully executed), Jenna was great and the interactions between Clara and the Doctor were great. The rest was downright poor.

Such an interesting premise, but amateurish visual effects that were distracting rather than exciting, insipid supporting characters, the awful Missy again (really, has Moffat got no better ideas than a Kovarian lookalike?!), and a too-convenient, tame resolution ruined it. The middle third dragged badly so there was no time to properly explore the reasons why the Dalek suddenly decided the struggle against humanity was futile (humans keeping going and renewed enemies have never stopped it before) and the bit with Clara switching on the memories and the Doctor just talking to it was just a bit bland.

And sadly I wasn't impressed with Capaldi's Doctor in this one. His early interactions with Clara were promising, but his reactions in the Dalek, especially the protein bit, were jarringly cold, and some lines just fell flat, or lacked a reaction where other Doctors would have had some kind of expression or voice inflection. Maybe he'll grow into the character with experience, but he's not there yet for me, his portrayal is lacking something at the minute. It'll be interesting to see if/how he interacts with Danny, who's clearly being set up for a recurring role. Hopefully that'll give Jenna some more decent material as well - she's carried the past two episodes with great performances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath: 9/10
    Into the Dalek: 8.5/10

I really enjoyed it, but struggled with the dialogue for the first 1/3 or so (this was much better on a rewatch on my computer, so perhaps a balancing issue). I felt fixing the radiation was just a little too easy, and didn't quite see HOW Clara was fixing the suppressed memories! But overall, very good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath - 10/10
    Into The Dalek - 10/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,430
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath - 9/10
    Into the Dalek - 4/10
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath 7/10.
    Into The Dalek. 6/10
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are my ratings:

Deep Breath - 8/10 -
    Good episode to the start of the series, I liked the slower pacing, it made a nice change! It was a weird one to watch because 12 was very hard to predict what he'd do next! Clara and the Victorian gang were great to watch as well. Reason this isn't higher is because Capaldi didn't start to feel like the Doctor until very late into the episode.

Into the Dalek - 9/10
    Loved this episode, it gave a good introduction to Danny as well as hints about what future plotlines could be - the no soldiers thing springs to mind. The going inside the Dalek was really interesting and reminded me a bit of the Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS, which I also really enjoyed. It was a great single Doctor Who adventure!
  • 17@1717@17 Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath 6/10
    Into The Dalek 8/10

Really shocked by people rating ITD the same or even lower than DB!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    17@17 wrote: »
    Really shocked by people rating ITD the same or even lower than DB!

I gave 7/10 to both.

I feel generous for giving Deep Breath a 7, and I feel I was harsh on Into the Dalek for giving it a 7. But neither stood out as particularly bad or good... the quality has been fairly consistent I feel.