Options

One Night - New Drama - BBC1

Comments

• Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    One of the advantages of watching a programme that you have recorded is that you can fast forward through bits like that.

In fact I am so used to recording every programme and speeding through the embarrassing or boring bits that when I go to the cinema I often find my thumb twitching at an imaginary remote control,

How you work out the content of a scene and how that relates to the rest of the story, before you've seen it, I don't know.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well here goes......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering whether Alfie's mother is actually still with us or not, he seemed very reticent when Carol offered to give her a lift to hospital for chemo.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do I recognize Alfie's actor from?
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I was wondering whether Alfie's mother is actually still with us or not, he seemed very reticent when Carol offered to give her a lift to hospital for chemo.
    Oh it's worse she's on holiday:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum "Do you want anything from duty free?"

Alfie " Oh yeah - a bottle of Jack Daniels and 40 B&H please"

She really is a piece of work
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that Will Wilde from Emmerdale, the friend of Alfie?
  • Options
    xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are they doing to my Faure !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xynaria wrote: »
    What are they doing to my Faure !

I assume they are using it because that was what Rochelle was supposed to be performing with the choir on the school trip.
  • Options
    xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume they are using it because that was what Rochelle was supposed to be performing with the choir on the school trip.

ah! thanks.................... never realized :)
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    What a wonderful, heartbreaking actor this boy is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owllover wrote: »

He is excellent.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owllover wrote: »

I usually avoid anything with child actors, but this lad was fantastic.

Ahh... I see. He was just delaying the police until his mum got home.
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an outstanding conclusion to a brilliant mini-series.

Billy Matthews (Alfie) is a fine actor. He sure has a bright future ahead of him.

A special mention for the other kids to, especially 'Fish'.

Well done one and all. The best drama series I have seen in a long time.

Thank you BBC!

I have just seen on Amazon & Play that the entire series is going to be released on DVD in April.
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally i can't help but feel dissapointed when continuing series come to an end, they never feel quite closed enough, however One Day managed to score on all accounts, and was without a doubt the best episode yet. A really heartbreaking episode, and really did make you feel for Alfie (and i know loads of people have already said it, but what a fantastic young actor! Such an amazing performance!) All loose ends were tied up, and i wasn't let down by anything. I'm kind of glad they didn't decide to do a twist ending, as i don't think there would have been sufficent chance to explain it.

And just on the point of the stand up bit of yesterday, i thought it was fantastically done, one of the best drama scenes i've seen in a long time; it was such a unique way of getting a character to express their inner feelings and thoughts and tell a back story to them.

I'm going to miss it now it's over! Been my TV highlight on 2012 so far!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miles19740 wrote: »
    What an outstanding conclusion to a brilliant mini-series.

Billy Matthews (Alfie) is a fine actor. He sure has a bright future ahead of him.

A special mention for the other kids to, especially 'Fish'.

Well done one and all. The best drama series I have seen in a long time.

Thank you BBC!

I second that! Amazing although sobbing here after tonight's episode. So powerful and just sums up broken Britain and how hard it is to be a kid in the uk today!
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well written, well acted and well produced, it made me well up!

The realisation that this is how some kids live is beyond me, I have never understood how parents leave the the kids home alone for an hour! let alone to go abroad on holiday.
    Makes me appreciate my family all the more!

Anyhow the bbc have produced another excellent drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A beautifully written and performed drama.

I also feel that the choice of music needs a mention and praise - I loved the title music, which was also used in certain scenes and the use of Faure's Requiem. I thought they complimented the action very well and added to the poignancy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cleocat wrote: »
    I second that! Amazing although sobbing here after tonight's episode. So powerful and just sums up broken Britain and how hard it is to be a kid in the uk today!

Indeed. The expectation that kids should be adults, the result being, kids childhood being taken away from them.

The dialogue between Alfie and 'the social' woman had me in stitches. Funny as...

It was also nice to have a powerful drama minus sensationalism, CGI and the rest of it. It was very character led, brilliantly written and well acted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A beautifully written and performed drama.

I also feel that the choice of music needs a mention and praise - I loved the title music, which was also used in certain scenes and the use of Faure's Requiem. I thought they complimented the action very well and added to the poignancy.

...indeed...managing not to be 'invasive' or distract from the drama, but compliment it.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    I've watched a lot of Tv and film in my years and have seen the parallel lives premise done quite a few times but have rarely seen the strands come together in a pay off executed as tightly as this. An absolutely stunning hour of Tv. From some great gags, Alfie getting one over on the social worker (I never thought the words 'tea' and 'Vicki' would make me laugh out loud) to a truly harrowing finale and all with stunning acting, writing, direction, editing and score.

Stunning, absolutely stunning. It's rare that I post about TV shows but wow, what an hour of truly great TV.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How you work out the content of a scene and how that relates to the rest of the story, before you've seen it, I don't know.

It is pretty easy, here a few examples.

Sex scenes - fast forward because I have seen it all before. So they are having sex, fine - but let's get on with the story please. I suppose I would do the same if they showed them going to the toilet.

Chase scenes - not so much cut to the chase but cut out the chase.- does he get caught or does he escape?

Scenes in serials with characters I find boring - Often a series will have three or four different mini-plots going on; if I find one of the sub plots boring it gets the FF treatment.

And of course there is always the rewind button if it turns out that I missed something.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent from start to finish - as I said earlier the characters and acting were spot on from start to finish it was like watching a documentary at times and half the time you didn't know whether to love, hate or take pity on the various main protagonists.

Quite possibly the best British drama of 2012 for me.:)
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    totally agree was an amazing drama. For all the BBC gets knocked they IMO do the best dramas, I thought Prisoners Wives was amazing and then this just completely topped it credit to all the actors and the BBC, was brilliant and I'm sad it is now over. I wonder when it was written, you would maybe think just after the riots possibly, I will have to google it and see. Well done all those involved in this drama was absolutely gripping and so well put together/perfomed, thank you
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I hope that the writer (Paul Smith), producers, actors (especially Douglas Hodge and Billy Matthews) get recognised in the award season for this brilliant drama.