I'm a 19 year old male losing my hair...

fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Both my dad and grandad began to lose their hair at 18, and now I can tell its my turn as well as its got ridiculously thin and greasy lately and hairs are automatically falling out every time I run my fingers through it.

Should I just put myself out of my misery and go the barbers and get it all shaved to a size 2 all over, and then try and get used to my new look? :)

Comments

• mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.hishairclinic.com/ they are fantastic!
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both my dad and grandad began to lose their hair at 18, and now I can tell its my turn as well as its got ridiculously thin and greasy lately and hairs are automatically falling out every time I run my fingers through it.

Should I just put myself out of my misery and go the barbers and get it all shaved to a size 2 all over, and then try and get used to my new look? :)

It's a sunny day today so just go for it.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you might as well accept it, there's nothing wrong with it and it could be a good look for you.

However there are treatments that do work, NHS approved, that can slow it and reduce it, so you should "go and see your doctor" (sorry for that typical DS cop-out advice) and definitely don't delay.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a Brucie Forsyth style toupee.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could do that or begin a daily regime to keep what you've got. 1mg Finasteride (Propecia) alone, or with Minoxidil is a pain, but works for many.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm starting to lose mine at 21. :(
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do what any real man would do: get a desperately obvious toupee in an unnaturally striking colour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Shave off your pubes and stick them to your head. Problem solved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I would have been greatly disturbed to lose my hair at 19 but...I bet it isn't so bad, a no 2 crop can look good on a lot of guys, I would say it's probably better than the receding look.

I don't have any experience with the products people are advising but I have heard hair replacement therapy etc is much better than it used to be so they may be something to try but...cropped hair is well acceptable and can be quite cute so...I hope it goes well for you man,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, do you have more facial and body hair (particularly chest and stomach) than most guys your age?

As for advice, I've heard that smearing your head with squirrel semen is a guaranteed method to stop balding, but there is a slight chance that this information is false.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For sure.

Screw a toupee, get a merkin.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just have it cut short number 1 or 2 cut short it will look okay avoid a comb over at all costs.:eek:

My son is 23 and he has lost his hair he could not care less and just has it shaved very short.

Hair clinics will cost you ££££££££££££££s and unless you cannot sleep over it are or are exteremy rich i would not bother,even some rich famous people live with it Telly Savalas traded on it in Kojac years ago.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't end up with the receding look. Take it off now and people will just accept it as your new style. It can look good anyway, especially if you have a nice shaped head.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that if you exercise your scalp muscles regularly the blood flow can encourage your hair follicles to keep working. You're young it might work for ya!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I was losing my hair at 18/19, but it was just my natural hairline and paranoia. I'm now 24 and there's no sign of it.

The reason I asked the question in my above post is because there's a sure link between body hair and and baldness. This is because the hormone that is responsible for body hair growth, DHT, is also responsible for hair loss on the head. I am quite hairy on the legs and arms (mostly developed around the age of 12-14), but apart from a treasure trail leading from my abs to my cock, I have virtually no body hair. I put this down to low levels of DHT, which bodes well for the prospect of a full head of hair in later life. Even though DHT is a derivative of testosterone, I had my testosterone levels checked by a doc and they were above average, so I guess I am just lucky in the sense that I must have low DHT without having low testosterone.

So for all you young guys with a lack of body hair, don't be disheartened, it could mean you will keep your head hair longer than your hairy friends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shave it all off and try to cultivate a Cockney gangster persona.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek: :p
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    You did a thread on this nine days ago and never bothered to return to it so why start another?
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Bring back the Comb-over.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hide your head, a bowler hat or moleskin trilby would be just the job, another plus point is that you'd seem much older and wiser than your 19 years. A stout walking cane and fresh carnation in your lapel would complete the outfit. :sleep:
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm waiting for his next thread "I'm bald, what do I do now?"
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member

Try not to worry about it or you will go grey as-well... :rolleyes:
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bgtension wrote: »
    I'm waiting for his next thread "I'm bald, what do I do now?"

Kinda thought I was the only one who noticed the theme here...
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baldness is awesome, you're lucky! Embrace it.