Options

Tim is ruining Bargain Hunt

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    But I like some of the experts:)

My favourites are Barby, James Lewis, Mark Stacey and Anita.

My least favourites are Philip Serrell and Catherine Southon.

But Tim rules over all of them as the greatest expert and the most professional of TV presenters. I'd love to meet him. I think he's brilliant. His enthusiasm for the show and for the contestants, experts and objects is infectious.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old does he look then ?

I'm three years younger than him, I wish I had his thick black hair though.

Well, with the greenish brown, dyed hair and mustache to match, I thought he was trying too hard to be younger, so probably assumed his 60's. The trouble is, I'm still only "young" and can't get over all these hairy, whiskery men being close to my own age! :p
  • Options
    ofniofni Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed that David Barby and Mark Stacey were the experts today (with humdinger profits on Mark's bonus item!)

Is it DEFINITELY CONFIRMED (DNA testing etc) that Mark is NOT Barby's lovechild?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it Colin Young? He is very nice. When we finished filming the BH ep, I went to drive home but my car wouldn't start. The battery went flat as I was listening to the stereo in the rather long breaks between filming. So Colin and another expert (don't know his name and he isn't on it any more) gave me a push. :D

I like Colin Young, he doesn't take it seriously and seems to have a great sense of fun, do tell us more about filming Bargain Hunt....and meeting the lovely Colin! :D
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    ofni wrote: »
    Noticed that David Barby and Mark Stacey were the experts today (with humdinger profits on Mark's bonus item!)

Is it DEFINITELY CONFIRMED (DNA testing etc) that Mark is NOT Barby's lovechild?

LOL. Yes, I've always thought that too. It's rare you see them on the same show together. Do you think special mirrors were used? The Beeb are cost cutting so maybe they tried to pull off the trick of two for the price of one! :D
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    number six wrote: »
    I like Colin Young, he doesn't take it seriously and seems to have a great sense of fun, do tell us more about filming Bargain Hunt....and meeting the lovely Colin! :D

Hi. I don't want to hijack the OP's topic but in answer to your questions, Re: Colin. I didn't see him on the day of the fair, only on the day of the auction. The teams are kept apart so you don't see much of anyone really, apart from Tim. Colin just happened to be outside the auction room when I tried to start the car and joked that listening to 'Green Day' had obviously drained the car battery! :D I must admit, he was very nice and charming as he was pushing me from the rear (in the car). I guess he's 'taken' though...most men like that are, unfortunately for us single women! :)

Re:Bargain Hunt There are lots of episodes filmed in one day. If I remember correctly when I was on it, three teams (usually 3 reds or blues) went out to different parts of the fair taking just over an hour of filming. That included finding the items and then things like close ups, looking at quirky items, reshooting banter, etc. You did often bump into other teams but it wouldn't be filmed and there's always a lot of location shots to use as filler.

In the afternoon, you'd film the 'reveal' of your items to Tim with your expert. As this was the two competing teams, this would take about 20-30 mins of filming.

The auction is done a different day, usually about a month after the fair. It's a fun thing to do and there's plenty to eat and drink throughout the day!
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, ok so my issue with Bargain hunt is this.It is almost impossible for the teams to get a bargain.1-they go to antiques fairs where the people selling are dealers,not really gonna make much money on that now are they?
    2-the camera is shoved in the face of the sellers, again not low key,...
    However I am glad the tango man's gone, why?
    he says OC-tion, not Auction.
    Drove me up the bleeding wall that
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Tim is an excellent choice as presenter of Bargain Hunt. He is an extremely knowledgeable and affable chap. Although I admire Kate Bliss mas an expert - she certainly knows her silver! - I don't think she is as good on Secret Dealers as Tim is on BH.
  • Options
    zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, I bow to the majority view that Tim is extremely popular. I don't particularly dislike the man but just take time out to listen to the drivel he spouts when the contestants are shopping and tell me if it is really necessary. Personally, it spoils the show for me.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Admittedly there is much more padding now that the show is extended by 15 minutes. But Tim is the glue that holds the show together.

Tim is just following the fashion for a jokey/blokey type narration a la Come Dine With Me - How Clean Is Your House ?
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gratifyingly the OP is in a minority of one.
    Shame on you for even starting this ill-advised thread dissing our hero.

Tim is God........... in a middle-aged, dyed hair, gapped tooth sort of way, all others are imposters, bounders and rotters.

I agree ive never seen Tim be dissed before ever, hes a total Legend and a lovely checky chap :D
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ofni wrote: »

I allways had a weird feeling they are related for years, but just knew there not there is a look about them. lol

Well some of my fave Experts are

Phillip Serrel
    David Babry
    Mark Stacey
    David Harper
    Anita Manning & Kate Bliss Jonathan Pratt is great to they do have a good selection of experts so much better than ITVs, though i wsh Mike Melody would come to the BBC.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His mannerisms and dress sense I consider to be chosen just for effect,

What, you mean just like absolutely everyone in showbiz?
  • Options
    Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim is a daytime tv genius !! I sky plus and watch when I get back from work. Tim is a great presenter.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The guy who does stiltwalking in today's blue team is my lovely friend Mark! I hope they win.
  • Options
    Jejade05Jejade05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I think Tim is good. Was it David Dickinson that did the show originally? He definitely is irritating! I love the show but whenever that geek Charles Hanson is on, I dread it because his team never win. He is not the 'expert' on that show. Also when they go to his auction house, he is hopeless, the prices always go up by £2, never £5!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I personally think Tim is great. If you dont like Tim then dont watch it!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    My favourites are Barby, James Lewis, Mark Stacey and Anita.

My least favourites are Philip Serrell and Catherine Southon.

But Tim rules over all of them as the greatest expert and the most professional of TV presenters. I'd love to meet him. I think he's brilliant. His enthusiasm for the show and for the contestants, experts and objects is infectious.

I LOVE Anita, she's so pleasant and always sees the positives in what the teams have bought
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Tim and think he is so much better than David Dickenson :)
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim would dearly love a show of his own, like "Dodgy Dickenson"
    That's why he's so over the top trying to get as much attention as possible.
    But with this show he's on a loser.
    Never saw the sense of teams in cheap looking bomber jackets, "buying at retail and trying to sell at wholesale."
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness the show has stuck with someone who (a) has a personality, and (b) actually knows the subject! I would stop watching in an instant if they drafted in some "celeb" or generic presenter to front the show.

I think part of the "problem" with repetitive phrases is that the show's on just about every day, so of course they're going to become repetitive! What are they supposed to do ... come up with a different way of saying "it sold for the price the team paid for it" in every programme?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zackai48 wrote: »
    Okay, I bow to the majority view that Tim is extremely popular. I don't particularly dislike the man but just take time out to listen to the drivel he spouts when the contestants are shopping and tell me if it is really necessary. Personally, it spoils the show for me.

I agree. I'm sure he is a lovely man but I find his catchphrases irritating.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carman wrote: »
    I like Tim, I much prefer him to David Dickinson.
    MP34L1fe wrote: »
    Hes a heck of alot better than Mr Permatan, Tim comes across as honest..Permatan comes across as a dodgy 2nd hand car dealer lol

completely agree... tim took bh to new heights
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Every account I've read from people who have met Tim mention what a gentleman he is.

ive seen him several times at antique fairs where they were shooting bh, he spends time with stallholders, talking, discussing items in a down to earth freindly way... that supports those accounts of him.
  • Options
    ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Tim, the more he talks, the better the show for me.

He's a lovely man and a great character.

Absolutely agree with this. He makes the show, rather than ruins it as the OP suggests.

He comes across as a likeable, charming man with a terrific sense of humour, and a lot more expertise in antiques than a lot of the 'experts' they sometimes have on the show !
  • Options
    bluebottlebluebottle Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi. I don't want to hijack the OP's topic but in answer to your questions, Re: Colin. I didn't see him on the day of the fair, only on the day of the auction. The teams are kept apart so you don't see much of anyone really, apart from Tim. Colin just happened to be outside the auction room when I tried to start the car and joked that listening to 'Green Day' had obviously drained the car battery! :D I must admit, he was very nice and charming as he was pushing me from the rear (in the car). I guess he's 'taken' though...most men like that are, unfortunately for us single women! :)

Re:Bargain Hunt There are lots of episodes filmed in one day. If I remember correctly when I was on it, three teams (usually 3 reds or blues) went out to different parts of the fair taking just over an hour of filming. That included finding the items and then things like close ups, looking at quirky items, reshooting banter, etc. You did often bump into other teams but it wouldn't be filmed and there's always a lot of location shots to use as filler.

In the afternoon, you'd film the 'reveal' of your items to Tim with your expert. As this was the two competing teams, this would take about 20-30 mins of filming.

The auction is done a different day, usually about a month after the fair. It's a fun thing to do and there's plenty to eat and drink throughout the day!
    :
    Thank you for the inside views we just love the show and watch it daily :D