Windows 8 / 8.1 Question

pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a W8 product key I purchased when the new software came out. Since then I have upgraded to 8.1. I was wondering, if I reinstall my system to factory settings, would I be able to simply reinstall 8.1 and use my 8 product key or would I have to install 8 and then get the free 8.1 upgrade in time when Windows Update pushes it to my system?

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably best to go back to 8.0 and let the installer pick whats needed
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not try this, but it should be possible to create a snapshot of your system and register it instead of the standard one. So refreshing/resetting the computer would take you to this state, i.e., an activated W8.1.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new update tomorrow 8.1.2 or 8.2?
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found a loophole which essentially allowed me to install Windows 8.1 Update 1 on my system using a KMS registry key, then once all is installed, use my W8 key and everything was fine. Saves a ton of updating and my system has now been refreshed and running a lot smoother. :)
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I found a loophole which essentially allowed me to install Windows 8.1 Update 1 on my system using a KMS registry key, then once all is installed, use my W8 key and everything was fine. Saves a ton of updating and my system has now been refreshed and running a lot smoother. :)

I would be interested in knowing more details in how you did this please.

I'd also like to know what the official Microsoft route is. It seems crazy you would have to install W8 then the 8.1 update then whatever future updates Microsoft release. Also, the configuration Refresh doesn't seem to work if your original installation media is W8 and you are now running 8.1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can create a system image with a current state of the computer to use with refresh and reset and replace the original one

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2748351/en-us
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    A new update tomorrow 8.1.2 or 8.2?

No, its not being released.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I would be interested in knowing more details in how you did this please.

I'd also like to know what the official Microsoft route is. It seems crazy you would have to install W8 then the 8.1 update then whatever future updates Microsoft release. Also, the configuration Refresh doesn't seem to work if your original installation media is W8 and you are now running 8.1.

Install from 8.1 Core download media, or 8.1.1 Core ISO, use 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT. This is the correct key for Core versions OEM or Retail.

Windows 8 Professional uses a different install key. Most people won't have this version. I suspect they can Google the rest.

Change key when installed, then activate.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    No, its not being released.

Well, yes and no......http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2014/08/06/win81-update-2-denied/1
    What the company will be releasing next week is a small batch of patches that add minor improvements and new functionality to the Windows 8.1 operating system. Most impressive among these is new application programming interfaces (API) for using Miracast under Wi-Fi Direct, allowing hardware vendors to develop drivers to turn laptops, desktops and even tablets into wireless display receivers. Another fix will boost the precision of the touchpad with new user-visible control options, while a third will reduce the number of login prompts federated users receive when accessing SharePoint Online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They moved the features like start menu and windowed Metro apps into W9.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I would be interested in knowing more details in how you did this please
    Get a hold of the retail ISO of Windows 8.1.1, which is easily found online. When installing it, it will not accept your W8 key, so use any one of Microsoft's KMS Client Setup Keys to install the software. Once it's all done, it will say that Windows is not activated, now enter your original W8 key and you're set. It's a handier way of re-installing W8 without having to start right at the beginning and then download a ton of updates, you can start with the latest version. :)
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As discussed, Windows 8.1 update 2 has been released but as expected has been downgraded from a "sub version" change to a simple normal update.

More interestingly, this update is considered as an optional update (which makes sense as most of it is probably irrelevant to most users). Unlike Update 1 which was mandatory, you can decide not to bother with this.

The relevant update number (64 bit) is KB2975719.

From now on, we can only expect bug fixes and minor improvements until the "hallowed" Windows 9 is released. I'll bet 9 will be the new XP and give many years of faithful service and in 15 years MS will be going crazy trying to kill it off!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll bet it won't :)

Microsoft need a revenue generator, if the Windows Store won't do it, they'll try to licence Windows like Office 365. Office 365 isn't really working either, but we won't see another Office like 2013, IMHO.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if it's just me, but after downloading Update 2 I'm finding my taskbar is there all the time. Even on fullscreen Modern apps.
    Perhaps it's a glitch?

ETA: I see it's mentioned as a bug at the bottom of this article.
    http://windowsitpro.com/windows-81/new-feature-windows-taskbar-accessible-modern-apps-august-update-windows-81
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I think that article is saying that when 'Auto hide taskbar' is selected, it should do just that. The bug reported is that in some instances it doesn't hide.
    It hides OK on my desktop including in all modern apps.
    In the previous update, if you unchecked 'Show Windows Store apps on the taskbar' it removed the taskbar from modern apps. So, maybe, that's the bug that he refers to as that no longer has any affect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    I think that article is saying that when 'Auto hide taskbar' is selected, it should do just that. The bug reported is that in some instances it doesn't hide.
    It hides OK on my desktop including in all modern apps.
    In the previous update, if you unchecked 'Show Windows Store apps on the taskbar' it removed the taskbar from modern apps. So, maybe, that's the bug that he refers to as that no longer has any affect.

If I select 'autohide' it works, on the desktop and in Modern apps. But I don't want to autohide the taskbar on the desktop, just in Modern apps; which was the behaviour in update 1.

I think it must be a bug, because as it stands the taskbar obscures the address bar in Modern IE, unless you've set it to autohide.

So far I've only updated one of my Windows 8 PCs to update 2. I'll maybe try the other one later, to see if it has the same behaviour.
    The one that's affected has integrated Intel HD graphics, whereas the other one has an AMD card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's quite a lot of articles about this bug now. including this one.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-1-August-Update-Users-Confirm-Taskbar-Bug-454815.shtml

You can get rid of the persistant taskbar by doing certain actions (details in article), but it's definitely not a planned part of the update.

I've now confirmed it happens on my second machine as well, but seemingly not everybody sees this behaviour?
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh roumour is win 9 will have virtual desktops. :D
    Yes i know you can do it sort of now, but its never matched Linux, but inbuilt by default is always better.
    Do miss it when i switch from Linux to Win

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ubuntu-12.10-firefox-split-screen.jpg

Hope they release it in win 8.1.... :)
    and a always on top option would be nice as well.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virtual desktops have always struck me as a bit of a gimmick. Nice to have, but hardly necessary when you have multiple windows assigned to taskbar icons (with live previews). Still, the implementation I see above on Ubuntu is the best I've seen yet.

Wish is known about the 8.1 ISO/kms earlier, would have saved me a fair bit of time. I'll still always make an image of a fresh system though, so much easier.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virtual desktops have always struck me as a bit of a gimmick. Nice to have, but hardly necessary when you have multiple windows assigned to taskbar icons (with live previews). Still, the implementation I see above on Ubuntu is the best I've seen yet.

Wish is known about the 8.1 ISO/kms earlier, would have saved me a fair bit of time. I'll still always make an image of a fresh system though, so much easier.

I use them for say, all downloading stuff, cd dvd burning, torrent etc can all be in one desktop.
    Personal browsing DS :D shopping facebook etc on another.
    Work stuff on another.
    They all work indepenent of each other, so easier to handle than multiple windows on taskbar.
    Also alot quicker to flick between, doesnt affect me, but if boss walks in flick to work one, no sign of whats on the others, unlike live multiple windows tabs. :D
    Its a personal prefrence but im all for them.