Options

Famous people who you really respect

Comments

• Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a massive soft spot for Ian McKellan.
    He's a fantastic actor ( particularly on stage ), a lovely person and does some amazing charity work.
    I bumped into him (literally) about 10 years ago, apologised profusely, realised who he was and apologised even more, at which he beamed at me, said "Don't worry darling" pecked me on the cheek and wafted off down the road.
    And his bromance with Patrick Stewart makes me :D

I am so incredibly jealous. I adore Ian McKellan - and yes, his bromance with Patrick Stewart is a thing of pure joy. They just seem like the most wonderful people.
  • Options
    KikiDafuqKikiDafuq Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    P!nk and Sia: both for their compassion for animals
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm...very interesting topic OP.

Cristiano Ronaldo : His work ethic is really admirable and inspire me.

Roger Federer : One thing I admire the most about him is his incredible sportsmanship.

Britney Spears : To go through everything she did and be able to still go on and smile/enjoy life.... is wonderful.

On the top of my head these 3 :) .
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwylfa wrote: »
    Alan Whicker always appeared to be a genuine,charming man (sadly now gone).Also Val Doonican has few airs and graces and appears homely.

Loved Alan W, he was my secret crush when I was growing up. I was a very weird teenager!
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it ok to say no one or is this an appreciation thread?
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daniel Day Lewis - Seems to be a very humble man, which must be difficult considering he's the only man ever to have won 3 Leading Actor Oscars. Also admire the amount of effort he puts into all of his roles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    Is it ok to say no one or is this an appreciation thread?

It's okay to say whatever you like but I don't see the point in joining in if you don't really have anything to add but a sneer.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Daniel Day Lewis - Seems to be a very humble man, which must be difficult considering he's the only man ever to have won 3 Leading Actor Oscars. Also admire the amount of effort he puts into all of his roles

I'll say my Mum. She makes a mean lunch and I admire the amount of thyme she puts into my rolls. ;)
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    It would be nice to have a positive thread, so let's give this one a try. Who do you really admire, in terms of their professionalism and talent and who are not famous because of who they know or what tacky scadals they've been caught up ? I have the highest respect for people like:

Kate Bush
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    David Tennant
    J.K Rowling
    David Bowie
    Adele
    Jon Hamm
    Helena Bonham-Carter

All hard working, all people who generally avoid posting to social media about every fart or sharing selfies every five minutes. Very refreshing in this day and age.

Peter Gabriel - a very creative, innovative musician who has also done a lot of good works which have helped others, yet manages to do it without the kind of profile that people like Geldof, Bono and Sting have. I can't think of anyone in the music biz I admire more than him.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    edy10 wrote: »
    Britney Spears : To go through everything she did and be able to still go on and smile/enjoy life.... is wonderful. .

Agreed. Plus she is one of the most down to earth and unpretentious celebrities out there. She doesn't let fame go to her head or pretend to be anything she isn't. I'm glad she's back on track now and her Vegas shows seem to be a success. Plus her music is great :D I listen to Britney every day and she's been the soundtrack to most of 2014 for me for some reason ;-)
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    Was just about to type this. And his intelligence and humanity too.

I've often - very often - wondered what it actually means to admire and respect someone's 'humanity'. At first you think you know, but as you think about it a little more it gets ever vaguer until you have no idea what it means. What can it be? Do it mean generosity? In that case say 'generosity'. Does it mean intelligence? In that case . . . etc.

But as we always specify 'humanity', it must be something which is best described by that word, something quite specific. Trouble is I just can't think what that could be and what it is to have 'humanity'. At the end of the day I suspect it is just one of those words which sound good. And nothing much else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    I've often - very often - wondered what it actually means to admire and respect someone's 'humanity'. At first you think you know, but as you think about it a little more it gets ever vaguer until you have no idea what it means. What can it be? Do it mean generosity? In that case say 'generosity'. Does it mean intelligence? In that case . . . etc.

But as we always specify 'humanity', it must be something which is best described by that word, something quite specific. Trouble is I just can't think what that could be and what it is to have 'humanity'. At the end of the day I suspect it is just one of those words which sound good. And nothing much else.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be bothered over something like this to the point of writing so many words on it. :o
  • Options
    tawnytawny Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger Federer
  • Options
    BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafael Nadal
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Audrey Hepburn was pretty great.
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Michael J.Fox
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Al Pacino-a geniune actor dedicated to the craft and not a red carpet fame lover.
    His talent is amazing.
  • Options
    SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Hiddleston - The most lovely man in the world. He really is. So polite, so humble, so happy and smiley all the time, plus he clearly adores and loves his fans.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. Plus she is one of the most down to earth and unpretentious celebrities out there. She doesn't let fame go to her head or pretend to be anything she isn't. I'm glad she's back on track now and her Vegas shows seem to be a success. Plus her music is great :D I listen to Britney every day and she's been the soundtrack to most of 2014 for me for some reason ;-)

YAY I found another Britney's fan :D:D:):):)
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On top of all of those wonderful people already mentioned I'd add most, if not all, the cast of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. To start, I'd like to mention that wonderful married couple, Alexis Denisof and Alyson Hannigan alias Willow and Wesley. Tons more talent and charisma than any other showbiz couple but they behave with dignity and modesty at all times, not thrusting themselves into the spotlight desperate for money and attention, unlike [insert celeb couple(s) of your choice here].

Then there's Sarah Michelle Gellar whom I admire and adore so much.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Michael Palin - he seems to be an all round good guy. ...massively famous but still appears to be very down to earth.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dannii Minogue- she was always underrated and had great talent, was very successful in you her own way, she's worked so hard to get where she is, despite what people have said about her, always compared her to Kylie and never has said a bad word about Kylie. Dannii has always handled the public with dignity.

Defiantly Britney for all the reason you stated, also I admired Jamie-Lynn the way she handled being a teen mum and taking her daughter out of the medial spotlight, also for putting her daughter first and for getting her life back on track. Both Spears sisters have pure class, despite everything they've been through.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helen Wood - a shining example to us all.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick Stewart for many reasons, hailing from Huddersfield being one of them. And posting a selfie dressed as a lobster in a bathtub being another.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sinnitta
    Kerry Katona
    Katie Hopkins
    Peter Andre .............

......... no not really, here's my list:
    Dead now but I respected Anita Roddick founder of Body Shop - an ethical businesswoman.
    Meryl Streep
    Michael J Fox