Options

Vandals target Christmas tree dedicated to cancer teen Stephen Sutton

2»

Comments

• Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are just some thoughtless little shits around. I see where Ruthus is coming from. Chances are they didn't know it was dedicated to Stephen and they were just oblivious to anything other than having 'a laugh' in their own wee juvenile, thoughtless bubble.

I know I did stupid stuff when I was younger and didn't think how it might affect someone else. I was the divil for stealing bunting and signs that amused me.

There used to be a massive sign outside a factory we walked passed that tickled me. I couldn't go out one night because i was sick so my friends removed it and put it in my garden on their way home to cheer me up. I woke up the next morning to find a huge sign saying "GOOD HARD FILL WANTED on my front lawn.

I feel bad for all that stuff but at the time I didn't mean any harm, it wasn't malicious. Don't think I'd have ever ruined a Christmas tree, mind. Hope they grow out of it.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I look forward to the Sun's front page campaign to bring back the death penalty for these little blighters.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I look forward to the Sun's front page campaign to bring back the death penalty for these little blighters.

I expect the campaign is already on full throttle on Facebook. If it's not then I do not know what is up with the world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are just some thoughtless little shits around. I see where Ruthus is coming from. Chances are they didn't know it was dedicated to Stephen and they were just oblivious to anything other than having 'a laugh' in their own wee juvenile, thoughtless bubble.

I know I did stupid stuff when I was younger and didn't think how it might affect someone else. I was the divil for stealing bunting and signs that amused me.

There used to be a massive sign outside a factory we walked passed that tickled me. I couldn't go out one night because i was sick so my friends removed it and put it in my garden on their way home to cheer me up. I woke up the next morning to find a huge sign saying "GOOD HARD FILL WANTED on my front lawn.

I feel bad for all that stuff but at the time I didn't mean any harm, it wasn't malicious. Don't think I'd have ever ruined a Christmas tree, mind. Hope they grow out of it.

Exactly.

When you're young you don't think of consequences, you don't know you're being a 'shit'.

It's just a bit of a laugh and you don't really think it's anything other than making a bit of a mess. (I don't care what anyone says, when you're a young kid around 13-19/20 doing a bit of silly vandalism is very exciting)

I'm not saying you shouldn't punish these young 'uns when they're eventually caught but it should be more "tidy that up, apologise and do a bit of helping about in the community" rather than branding them for life as trouble makers and locking them up for a couple of years.

I want the kids of today to still be kids, don't want them like little automatons who don't say boo to a goose. I want to be old one day and chase some kids off the front lawn shouting "you little scamps" whilst waving my fist in the air.

We did a lot worse as kids than knocking a few ribbons off a Christmas tree and my friends and I all turned out alright.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruthus wrote: »
    I'm not defending these kids who have done this but these things are always blown well out of proportion.

I bet every single person on this forum has done a bit of mindless vandalism in their youth, it doesn't exactly make you evil or a 'bad un'.

Kids being kids and all that.

I remember coming back from uni for the first Christmas after everyone went off and meeting up with a few mates for a Christmas drink. Ended up getting well over excited and basically kicked the Christmas tree in the pub over. Didn't even think anything of it at the time. The next day I felt like a right doughnut, so did all my chums.

None of us were or are asbo chavs with no respect, we were just young and over excited.

Ugh. Don't judge everyone else by your own low standards. I was brought up properly and never indulged in vandalism.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He added the tree has been vandalised in previous years but it had been hoped that because the tree was in Stephen’s honour, it might be treated with more respect.

Sounds more like mindless stupidity that happens quite often, rather than a malicious thing against Stephen or deliberately targeting the tree because it was dedicated to him.

Yes it's horrible that it happened, but I think it's being blown out of proportion by some.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I know what to say about them but it would probably get me a ban.

It probably rankles with them that Stephen achieved and did more in his short life than they ever will even if they live to be 100.
    I doubt it. They would just say that they were having fun. ^_^
    I'm not defending these kids who have done this but these things are always blown well out of proportion.

I bet every single person on this forum has done a bit of mindless vandalism in their youth, it doesn't exactly make you evil or a 'bad un'.

Kids being kids and all that.
    Count me out. I have never felt the desire to destroy property.
    I remember coming back from uni for the first Christmas after everyone went off and meeting up with a few mates for a Christmas drink. Ended up getting well over excited and basically kicked the Christmas tree in the pub over. Didn't even think anything of it at the time. The next day I felt like a right doughnut, so did all my chums.

None of us were or are asbo chavs with no respect, we were just young and over excited.
    The benefits of a University education. ;-)
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Sounds more like mindless stupidity that happens quite often, rather than a malicious thing against Stephen or deliberately targeting the tree because it was dedicated to him.

Yes it's horrible that it happened, but I think it's being blown out of proportion by some.
    It's not blown out of proportion. It's just accurate reporting.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Exactly.

When you're young you don't think of consequences, you don't know you're being a 'shit'.

It's just a bit of a laugh and you don't really think it's anything other than making a bit of a mess. (I don't care what anyone says, when you're a young kid around 13-19/20 doing a bit of silly vandalism is very exciting)

I'm not saying you shouldn't punish these young 'uns when they're eventually caught but it should be more "tidy that up, apologise and do a bit of helping about in the community" rather than branding them for life as trouble makers and locking them up for a couple of years.

I want the kids of today to still be kids, don't want them like little automatons who don't say boo to a goose. I want to be old one day and chase some kids off the front lawn shouting "you little scamps" whilst waving my fist in the air.

We did a lot worse as kids than knocking a few ribbons off a Christmas tree and my friends and I all turned out alright.

Yet again, you're wrong.

As I said before, speak for yourself. You might have been a childhood yob, I wasn't. And I knew what was right and wrong, from as early as I can remember. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No we don't. The vast, vast majority of our kids/youths are very well behaved and respectful.

And Ruthus, I never ever vandalised anything. My husband has never done so and neither have our kids.

Sorry RandomSally,but I really do believe we HAVE got the worst behaved youths in Europe.Go into cities and town centres in the evenings anywhere in UK and you will see Britains "finest" doing what they do best.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Whoever did this is nothing but vermin that should be flogged to within an inch of their pathetic life

Basically I agree.

I see no problem with Singapore style flogging
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    dsimiller wrote: »
    Sorry RandomSally,but I really do believe we HAVE got the worst behaved youths in Europe.Go into cities and town centres in the evenings anywhere in UK and you will see Britains "finest" doing what they do best.

If you're talking about the drinking culture believe me that isn't just the young doing that. In fact most of those you see propped up against walls or lying wasted in gutters are way, way old enough to know better.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scum....hope the batteries don't charge on their new toys this Christmas Day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    It's not blown out of proportion. It's just accurate reporting.

I wasn't talking about the reporting... Some people's responses to it, both on this thread and across social media, have blown it out of proportion.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were possibly appalled that the tree had gone up so early. I think a couple of them posted in a thread on the subject a little while ago.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I know what to say about them but it would probably get me a ban.

It probably rankles with them that Stephen achieved and did more in his short life than they ever will even if they live to be 100.
    Exactly that Croc.

What turgid little shitehawks they are.

Complete strangers to anything that is good and decent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't talking about the reporting... Some people's responses to it, both on this thread and across social media, have blown it out of proportion.

Do you consider it just to be a bit of harmless fun ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Do you consider it just to be a bit of harmless fun ?

No I don't.

I think it was horrible, stupid and worthy of punishment just as any act of vandalism is.
    I don't however think it was worthy of some of the reactions / suggestions that I've read.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're talking about the drinking culture believe me that isn't just the young doing that. In fact most of those you see propped up against walls or lying wasted in gutters are way, way old enough to know better.

Indeed, why is it always assumed that these acts are the works of 'the yoof'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I don't.

I think it was horrible, stupid and worthy of punishment just as any act of vandalism is.
    I don't however think it was worthy of some of the reactions / suggestions that I've read.

People tend to get angry about such things.