Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Once again nobody has said they aren't where they are on merit.

But fair enough, you think Southampton have a better squad of players than Manchester United.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Once again nobody has said they aren't where they are on merit.

But fair enough, you think Southampton have a better squad of players than Manchester United.

I hope that we can overtake them before the season finishes, and we can finish above them, but it is going to be very hard to do, as they have got a very tight unit there, even their new signings are doing well straight away, credit to them for that.
    Forum Member
    Then when we overtake them we'll have the better squad, even though they'll be the same as they are now, when Southampton have the better squad.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Then when we overtake them we'll have the better squad, even though they'll be the same as they are now, when Southampton have the better squad.

We are at least now getting a little closer to understanding why his opinions change like the wind.
    Forum Member
    It's good to know that in 07/08 we had the 19th best squad in the league at one point :(
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,511
    Forum Member
    Southampton have put together a very talented squad, a better one than last seasons one, and at the moment, they are where they are on merit, and their squad is proving to be just as good as ours, and the two point gap is showing that.

But they were 9 points ahead of us after 11 games in November.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    But they were 9 points ahead of us after 11 games in November.

They had a vastly better squad than ours in November, then:D
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just goes on and on.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Have I missed something, I thought that Origi was still in France, plus he still has to prove himself in this country, so I wouldn't be including him in that list of options just yet.

He's likely basing that on the heavy rumours linking him with an early exit from his loan deal. No need to be rude or pedantic. The "have I missed something" was unnecessary. You could've just said "Origi's still in France and hasn't been called back yet" instead of going about it the way that you have done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    He's likely basing that on the heavy rumours linking him with an early exit from his loan deal. No need to be rude or pedantic. The "have I missed something" was unnecessary. You could've just said "Origi's still in France and hasn't been called back yet" instead of going about it the way that you have done.

Yeah, that's what I was basing my thoughts on.

However, you might not need him if Borini and Lambert keep putting them away:)
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    satellite wrote: »
    Ok fair enough.

Why would it be good for the league though?

You didn't answer my question Bats, why would Southampton finishing above Arsenal & Tottenham be "good for the league", I'm just puzzled at that statement :confused:
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't answer my question Bats, why would Southampton finishing above Arsenal & Tottenham be "good for the league", I'm just puzzled at that statement :confused:

Im puzzled as well, its good to see Batdude stumping people again with his statements.
  • shubstarshubstar Posts: 225
    Forum Member

I actually agree with Batdude on this one. For me, I think a team like Southampton finishing in the top four above any of the 'traditional' big teams will be a breath of fresh air. I mean look at how Atletico Madrid were praised for finally breaking the recent duopoly of Barcelona and Madrid by winning La Liga.
    Don't get me wrong, I would love it if United won the league for the next 10 years consecutively (not ashamed of my bias haha). But if the teams there or there abouts are constantly changing, I think it will be "good for the league" because it will strengthen the case of it being a really competitive league. Let's be honest, as competitive as the league is perceived to be, it's still usually the same three or four teams that qualify for the Champions League year in year out.
    And I know that's the case with most of the top European leagues, but looking at England in isolation, it would be nice for a bit more diversity around the top.

Finally, going back to Southampton in particular... For a team who found themselves playing in League One in the 09/10 season (for various reasons we're all aware of), to then qualify for the Champions League within 5 years would be a brilliant achievement.
    Who doesn't like a good comeback story?! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus H Christ, there is paper talk of Real Madrid taking £50million + De Gea off us......for Bale.

LVG must realise he is public enemy number one if he goes ahead with such a ludicrous offer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe the Bale links for a second.

However, if DDG makes it clear he wants to return to Spain, then I don't think it's a bad idea to consider using him as make-weight in a move for one of their players.

I'm a huge fan of Bale, and I think he'd fit perfectly into our team.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,486
    Forum Member
    RotMojo wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ, there is paper talk of Real Madrid taking £50million + De Gea off us......for Bale.

LVG must realise he is public enemy number one if he goes ahead with such a ludicrous offer.

It's Sunday which is when the comics are printed.
    I bet it's a red top but even if not, I am taking it with a pinch of salt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »

Sorry I didn't didn't mean for my response to come across as rude or anything like that, I just didn't see how he could be included when he is still on loan elsewhere, that is like us saying or including Hernandez in any debate over our strikers for the this season, we cannot count upon his goals, and at this stage neither can you, so it was just strange to see someone include him as a potential reason why you could finish above Southampton, there was no malice or bad intentions intended by my response I can assure you.

Sorry that I haven't replied, but I will now, it would be good for plurality reasons, (although that in turn would make our life a heck of a lot harder, so I don't want it to happen from a purely Man Utd point of view!) the more teams that have access to the money from the Champions League, the harder and better the league will be.
    An extreme case, but look at Norway for example where for a while Rosenberg rash away with the league title, as they were the only ones with access to this cash.

The more different or varied teams that manage to get into the Champions League, the better for the league as a whole, as then more players will get a chance to play in that tournament, and the standards will rise, and so to finish third or fourth will be more of an achievement then before, when for a while the top four were set in stone it seemed (Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool).

If Southampton can qualify for the Champions League, that would mean two big clubs wouldn't (be it ourselves, Arsenal or Spurs), and that will really motivate them to improve if they want to get back into it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »

Why put some much stock into an old rehashed story?

I don't buy this like/story for a second, we are just an easy target to link players with, and we always will be.
    It is funny season, and the clowns are out in force!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn't didn't mean for my response to come across as rude or anything like that, I just didn't see how he could be included when he is still on loan elsewhere, that is like us saying or including Hernandez in any debate over our strikers for the this season, we cannot count upon his goals, and at this stage neither can you, so it was just strange to see someone include him as a potential reason why you could finish above Southampton, there was no malice or bad intentions intended by my response I can assure you.

The idea of Origi potentially returning from his loan spell early has been common knowledge for a good while now, don't be so pedantic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are at least now getting a little closer to understanding why his opinions change like the wind.

My opinions don't change that often, or anywhere near regularity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea of Origi potentially returning from his loan spell early has been common knowledge for a good while now, don't be so pedantic.

It might be common knowledge, but it hasn't happened yet, so why include him in any discussion about squads until it has happened?
    It has nothing to do with being pedantic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be common knowledge, but it hasn't happened yet, so why include him in any discussion about squads until it has happened?
    It has nothing to do with being pedantic.

Because we're talking about the future, not the past.

It's a small issue anyway, there was no need to pick up on it in the way you have.
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did we get to the bottom of why Southampton has a better squad than the teams below them?
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    Did we get to the bottom of why Southampton has a better squad than the teams below them?

The starting point would seem to be that they are above the teams below them which is de facto, innit? :)

Spending millions on a "better" squad is an illusion if they don't deliver the results when it matters.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is funny season, and the clowns are out in force!

Aren't they just?
    My opinions don't change that often, or anywhere near regularity.

Yes, they do.

Vlaar going from 'not good enough' to 'a good option', and our strikers going from 'better than City and Chelsea's' to 'not good enough' being just two very recent examples.
This discussion has been closed.