Options

World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XXXVI (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On WWE.com - 30 best Royal Rumblers ever1

http://www.wwe.com/shows/royalrumble/the-30-best-rumblers-ever

:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really are a rude little man.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't on many message boards. If you post loads every day you run the risk of being labelled a sad obsessive with nothing better to do with your time. On the flip side, if you are a DS board member and a WWE fan but your post average is low, hazy will say your opinion isn't important because you don't post enough.

Try being proud of your family, your work, your charitable good deeds, rather than the innate ability to piss off people you don't know with your obnoxious attitude.

The sad thing is, if he was smarter he'd monetise his ability to annoy people and develop a cult following like Glen Beck or Nigel Farage. Instead he's getting his kicks being a pathetic jumped up bully boy who thinks post counts matter, bragging about upsetting people for the last 16 years on various forums. I can't help think if he'd spent half that time productively, maybe he wouldn't be such a misery merchant looking to upset people for his own sadistic satisfaction.

"If I had a penny for every person I upset, I'd be rich." Yeah, maybe so, and maybe you'd have enough money to invest in something more worthwhile, not blaming everyone else in the world for your inability to be civil and get along in society without projecting problems onto everyone else because you won't address your own bad attitude. I've asked before why you post on a forum where you dislike the tone/content of the forum and I can only conclude you have so little else going on and can't afford to do anything else worthwhile, so being the cat amongst the pigeons here is all you can do as you rage on about how being a single, paranoid Scottish person who apparently hates the rest of the UK makes you better than everyone else that doesn't pick fights on the internet on a daily basis for over 15 years; as if that's an accomplishment compared to actually having a job, career, income and social stability. It really isn't impressive and frankly I think you should seek help before you write another 1000 words of sub-Fight Club nonsense about being a fringe of society misfit with delusions of grandeur who doesn't work a job he hates like everyone else must.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New photo-gallery on WWE.com - Rumble-Ready Divas:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/wwe-divas/rumble-ready-divas-photos

:)
    I dont know if Tough Enough is needed in WWE these days since they allready have up and coming talent who work on their craft at the Performance Centre plus Im not too fond on an American Idol style format on the show although there was the $1,00,000 Tough Enough that they had on Smackdown about 10 years ago.

I agree.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And my point is that it's a fair point to defend WWE's ratings by saying they aren't just the #1 show on their respective network but cable television.
    But that doesn't engage with the fact that viewership is down. There are any number of reasons why viewers would be down but to simply say it doesn't matter because “still number 1” (which isn't actually true) doesn't really engage with the point.
    I dont know if Tough Enough is needed in WWE these days since they allready have up and coming talent who work on their craft at the Performance Centre plus Im not too fond on an American Idol style format on the show although there was the $1,00,000 Tough Enough that they had on Smackdown about 10 years ago.
    Million Dollar Tough Enough gave us The Miz and Kurt Angle embarrassing himself but aside from that was awful. Tough Enough in general is awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's just a new way to get eyes on the talent they already have signed up, I REALLY doubt they'll have more than 3-4 actual applicants. Most will be recently signed already under contract like Gionna Daddio and new prospects they are banking on like Uhaa Nation. The last show turned into a waste of time, they won't do that again.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Both companies are doing ok because they are being paid for their programming. WWE does well on USA and for the audience DA gets, TNA is delivering well for them but in the grand scheme of things wrestling just isn't important anymore.

And my example is the one Steve Austin brings up about John Cena all the time. The first time Steve went to a show after his retirement and he mentioned to Cena how they didnt have to use black curtains on the seats because they were sold out. That story is now over 10 years old and I honestly truly believe that is one of the vital reasons Austin never did his last match. I think Steve realizes if he came back he would performing to.......well you seen those figures. A far far cry from his hey day when they were in legit 18,000 and 20,000 seat arenas and sold out every week and did big business in the house shows. Why make a big come back for something that is so far from what you experienced in your prime? I think Steve Austin has a lot of pride in knowing that he was one of the main reasons they could sell buildings that size out and they couldn't do enough house shows and the TV audience was massive. It's a very very niche thing now and I don't see it ever picking up.

The reason those 2 boom periods happened was because not only did society want it but WWE mirrored society in what they did in those time periods. WWE today and TNA for that matter have no clue what society wants. Society is nowhere near being this PG family friendly environment. It's so far away from that it's not even real. The one thing WWE got right in the last 5 years and it's a thing that annoys so many fans but they really did the right thing by it and that is............Twitter. When they did the Tweeting thing and Trending and all that.........that actually mirrored society because that's what everyone was doing. that's one of the few things they have done that the general audience, the casual audience can identify with and same with Facebook now. You were expecting me to say something about the most popular tv shows being sexual and violent right? Well they are but there are things like this too that also matter. Until WWE and TNA take a good look at society in 2015.....never mind the wrestling,....take a good look at society and what people like and what people watch and what people are fascinated by and what they talk about everyday with their friends....and find a way to mirror that in the fantasy world of wrestling, nothing will ever change because that is the only way to grow the audience.

That is the only way to get people who wont give wrestling the time of day to give it a shot and when you can bring in those casual viewers and those TV viewers that do not watch your show, everything increases, your viewership increases and by proxy over time that should increase your live event sales, that increases your merchandise sales, that means your talent get paid better, them getting paid better means you're making more money than you did before that means you can AFFORD to pay them better and not lose out. That means TV companies look at your ratings and say hey.....we can't afford to lose your show. We need to pay you more money for a new contract. More money from those contracts means the investors are happy. It's a domino effect. Everyone wins.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote: »
    I'd like to see Demolition & Rick Martel inducted into the HOF

Hell yeah, nasty boys too.
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    Bare in mind, they only went to WCW half way through 1996.

Nash says him and Hall got a raise due to the fake Diesel and Razor storyline. Bischoff says it's nonsense. Supposedly, it was well known within the industry that it was a fake Diesel and Razor, so I can't understand why WCW would give him more cash. Then again....
    Wcw didnt complete the paperwork so hall and nash could have left wcw at anytime as they thought both had signed a new wwf contract and that would make there wcw contract void.

So they gave them more money and got the new contracts signed, sealed and under state law witnessed.

Who do we believe!? In this industry everyone has there own version but normallly its not far from the truth.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Royal Rumble 1992 earlier, again. Maybe it's nostalgia because it's more or less the first WWE show I watched. Still my favorite one of the lot, although 2007 and 2008 are probably technically better. Wonder if they'll ever do another one with the championship on the line.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    I watched Royal Rumble 1992 earlier, again. Maybe it's nostalgia because it's more or less the first WWE show I watched. Still my favorite one of the lot, although 2007 and 2008 are probably technically better. Wonder if they'll ever do another one with the championship on the line.

I don't think they will purposely plan that again however if the WWE Champ has to forfeit due to legit injury (or wellness policy violation ect) after TLC they may use the Royal Rumble to crown a new Champion
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason that Steve Austin isn't having another match is because there wouldn't be a big crowd? Like he's going to be wrestling at anything other than Mania.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i wouldn't mind another Royal Rumble with the Title on the line but obviously they would have to do another Title vacancy just before. (Like when it happened in December 1991)

The closest to having another was in 2005 when the Title was vacated in December 2004, but instead had the Title decided at New Year's Revolution 2005 in a Elimination Chamber match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Wrestlemania crowd buys their tickets MONTHS AND MONTHS in advance. They have no clue what they are buying tickets to see and for Steve Austin to have a return match he would need months of TV time and inring action. Steve isn't the type to have a match for matches sake.

Like he always says. It needs to make sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PDS1985 wrote: »
    i wouldn't mind another Royal Rumble with the Title on the line but obviously they would have to do another Title vacancy just before. (Like in 1992)
    Or not.

I've always thought it would be a fun idea to have a WWE Champion decide to defend the title in the Rumble match itself. This would have been a great thing to do with Punk a couple of years ago when he was running with his long title run and best in the world shtick. "I'm the best in the world and I'm going to do something no one else has ever done before defend my WWE Title in the Royal Rumble match". It'd have been a great way to take the title off of him without him actually losing as well.
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PDS1985 wrote: »
    i wouldn't mind another Royal Rumble with the Title on the line but obviously they would have to do another Title vacancy just before. (Like when it happened in December 1991)

The closest to having another was in 2005 when the Title was vacated in December 2004, but instead had the Title decided at New Year's Revolution 2005 in a Elimination Chamber match.

And when Batista had to vacate the World title in January 2006, and there was a 20-man battle royal on Smackdown to crown a new champion, about two weeks before the Rumble PPV.

That always seemed a crappy decision to me, I'm sure they could have notched up a few thousand more PPV buys if they'd put the WHC up in the 30-man match, rather than in a near-identical but far less exciting match on free television.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The reason the 92 Rumble is a favourite of mine is because just about every big name in the WWE at the time featured in the rumble.Back then you wouldn't see the likes of Taker,Jake,Piper,Flair,Hogan to name a few all in the ring at the same time.
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I watched 92 too the other night - just something about it, a great event.

Watched 88 earlier, for the first time. Loving the network :)
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    I'm against the Rumble being for the title. I like the fact it has its tradition of being the place where the Mania match is set and I like that. Can that be done if the title is on the line?
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    The Wrestlemania crowd buys their tickets MONTHS AND MONTHS in advance. They have no clue what they are buying tickets to see and for Steve Austin to have a return match he would need months of TV time and inring action. Steve isn't the type to have a match for matches sake.

He's not having another match because he's 50 and his neck is ****ed. Not because he's afraid he would show up at Mania to a HOF empty arena. He wouldn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    He's not having another match because he's 50 and his neck is ****ed. Not because he's afraid he would show up at Mania to a HOF empty arena. He wouldn't.

Don't talk sense man! It's not welcome!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly truly believe that is one of the vital reasons Austin never did his last match. I think Steve realizes if he came back he would performing to.......well you seen those figures.
    So you think Steve Austin thinks he can't sell out buildings anymore? Good to know. Also good to know it had nothing to do with the injuries that retired him in the first place.
    The reason those 2 boom periods happened was because not only did society want it but WWE mirrored society in what they did in those time periods.
    Out of interest what part of society do you think WWE was mirroring in their product during the 80s?
    The one thing WWE got right in the last 5 years and it's a thing that annoys so many fans but they really did the right thing by it and that is............Twitter. When they did the Tweeting thing and Trending and all that.........that actually mirrored society...
    And has zero effect on ratings, Pay-Per-View buys and ticket sales.
    take a good look at society and what people like and what people watch and what people are fascinated by and what they talk about everyday with their friends....and find a way to mirror that in the fantasy world of wrestling, nothing will ever change because that is the only way to grow the audience.
    Just for shits and giggles just what do you think society looks like now and how do you mirror that in wrestling? (Or do you not know because Vince Russo hasn't said yet?)

So much lolz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Just for shits and giggles just what do you think society looks like now? (Or do you not know because Vince Russo hasn't said yet?)

He's already said, American Horror Story. That's what people are talking about. With its 1.3 demo rating and 3.2 million drop in ratings this season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm against the Rumble being for the title. I like the fact it has its tradition of being the place where the Mania match is set and I like that. Can that be done if the title is on the line?
    I would be against it happening regularly.

In the grand scheme of things I think it would depend on how they got to the title being on the line at The Rumble. They could always have a Money in the Bank winner announce pre/post-Rumble that they're cashing in at Mania.
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair point, but the Mania main event/title match could always be set up at the February PPV just for the one year. The beauty of having a PPV in between Rumble and Mania, though it remains to be seen how must-see Fast Lane will be next month with no Elimination Chamber to bolster interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steve Austin said last year that he could wrestle at least one full year on a full schedule including house shows and TV tapings at 90% health but 90% wasn't good enough for him.

I'd rather take his words for it than UK fans that know nothing about the man's personal life and wouldn't even buy a ticket to go see him if he did come back and wrestle.
This discussion has been closed.