Holocaust: Night Will Fall. C4/21:00

PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The extraordinary story of the Allied forces who filmed the terrible scenes in the Nazi concentration camps, and Sidney Bernstein's attempt to produce a landmark documentary record of what they found
LINK
Trailer
Quite an important film this, will anyone be watching?

Comments

• mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope! Spiral is grim enough ;)

While I have no issues at all with marking the most vile event in human history I have no intention of making myself depressed - that's the sort of thing I did as an angsty teenager and watched stuff like the above.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    So emaciated that they no longer look like real human beings.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I'd seen all the coverage from this, but honestly this is visceral hell, but should be watched by everyone.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrific viewing, my wife has it on and I can't bear to watch as very upsetting :(:cry: >:(
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recording it as went to see Testament of Youth - WW1, the war to end wars, didn't they say?
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's just no words. Only tears.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    Recording it. Saw a clip & it's a distressing but must see watch.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had it on for around 45 minutes but switched off as its rather heavy going which of course i knew it would be but theres only so much i can watch. Horrifying footage, not sure i could watch the whole of that german concentration camp film :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I'd seen all the coverage from this, but honestly this is visceral hell, but should be watched by everyone.

Very true, im actually sitting here with tears in my eyes that humans can do this to other humans!>:(:(
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Its like 9/11 so horrific but you cant help watching every time stuff like this is on.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm watching it, finding it very difficult to watch...harrowing programme but yes we should always remember what people are capable of and never forget

'Shoah' Claude Lanzmann's film is also very detailed and very harrowing...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    i'm watching it, finding it very difficult to watch...harrowing programme but yes we should always remember what people are capable of and never forget

I agree!
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember going to the Imperial War museum and seeing the holocaust exhibits...i cried the whole time i was in there..
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started watching it, have visited Belsen and Sachsenhausen. The exhibits there were horrific.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the cowardice in the UK government not wishing to show the Hitchcock-Bernstein original cut is craven.

Yet if you look at the history, it's not that surprising. The cold war seemed to allow so many evil monsters off, because of political reasons, it's obscene. The way Nazi's were just released in the 50s despite being convicted of evil, to stabilise West Germany is pathetic.

I'm not an huge fan of the death penalty, but I would have been happy for it to apply to most Nazi's, if the alternative was let them out within 10 years, which happened a lot with American approval.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Switched over to watch it after Big Brother. I knew it would be horrific viewing but wasn't expecting this. It will make me a sad but I don't care about that, what is feeling a bit sad compared to what these poor people suffered, I think it's important that they have their story told, and I want to be someone who listens (if that makes sense?). Will watch it from the beginning tomorrow too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It is an horrific but brilliant documentary. Here's a profile of the interviewee who was born in the Bergen-Belsen Displaced Persons camp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menachem_Z._Rosensaft
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

I'm not an huge fan of the death penalty, but I would have been happy for it to apply to most Nazi's, if the alternative was let them out within 10 years, which happened a lot with American approval.

At least the death camp commandants and the architects of the Holocaust who were still alive when the war ended were hanged.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hazellou wrote: »
    Switched over to watch it after Big Brother. I knew it would be horrific viewing but wasn't expecting this. It will make me a sad but I don't care about that, what is feeling a bit sad compared to what these poor people suffered, I think it's important that they have their story told, and I want to be someone who listens (if that makes sense?). Will watch it from the beginning tomorrow too.

It makes perfect sense, in fact it's very eloquent:)
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad I watched . I am glad I took time to give them a voice and have their story told
  • CobblersCobblers Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    I've justo watched The Eichmann Show and some of the real recordings and photos were horrific, I had to turn away with tears in my eyes.

A great film if you haven't seen it, and the whole recording of the trial was the catalyst for Television in Israel.

I had no idea that this was on, will definitely catch up on 4OD.

I went to Auschwitz years ago when I was much younger and cried from the moment I walked through the gates until at least 20 minutes into the train journey back to Kraków, such a shame I didn't get to see Birkenau but we ran out of time.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hazellou wrote: »
    duckylucky wrote: »
    I am glad I watched . I am glad I took time to give them a voice and have their story told

I felt the same. Harrowing though it was, turning over was unthinkable - it would have been cowardly and disrespectful. Everyone needs to watch this.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Credit to Channel 4 for not showing adverts during it. Incredibly powerful film.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Nope! Spiral is grim enough ;)

While I have no issues at all with marking the most vile event in human history I have no intention of making myself depressed - that's the sort of thing I did as an angsty teenager and watched stuff like the above.

Guess what I watched it on +1, I must still be an angsty teen at heart. It doesn't get any better with age :(