dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like axing threads
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He got rid of Paul Kershaw, Brian Packham and Dennis Tanner who were mostly disliked on here. So let's not act like nobody has been axed. It would be pretty ridiculous if a producer axed about half the cast like people here expect them to do.

And do you think axing a big bunch of characters will improve the show? The stories would still need improving.

The writing is the overall issue for me. However the prominence of characters like fizz, sean, etc is irritating. They're incapable of delivering
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Keibro wrote: »
    I would put the Rovers Return up for sale, when Liz is conned out of her money by Tony. He does a runner from Weatherfield, after Liz discovers his and Tracy's affair. Tony double crosses Tracy by fitting her up to the police. In a bid to destroy evidence, Tracy burns down the shop. In order to break all ties with Jason, Tony lies that he slept with Eva. He leaves Weatherfield leaving Liz, Tracy and Jason devastated.

Ken Barlow would get prostate cancer, however a botched diagnosis would delay his treatment. To improve his chances of survival, the new doctor advises going private.
    To raise the cash, they remortage the house. However, Tracy deems it risky if Ken doesn't survive. At a low ebb, Tracy makes a decision and turns to prostitution.

The medical centre gets a new Doctor, who moves into the Street with wife Natasha and daughter Tamzin. Natasha is outspoken and instantly clashes with Eileen, when Natasha makes a homophobic comment to Sean in the pub. Natasha takes over Audrey's salon when Aud decides it's time to chill. On her first day in charge, Natasha sacks Kylie and tells Emily Bishop and Rita the salon is looking for new clientele. Natasha closes the salon door. Whilst doing a stock take, Natasha sends Maria home but propositions David in the stock room.

Meanwhile Dr Finn comes face to face with Todd Grimshaw...his ex secret boyfriend.
    Finn and Natasha's daughter Tamzin takes a shine to Jason and seduces him soon after moving into the Street, when they are both drunk. There is a shock however, when it turns out Tamzin is only 14. When they are caught, Tamzin says Jason forced her. Natasha calls the police and Jason is arrested for suspected rape.

As Eileen stands by her son, Natasha vows to make the Grimshaws pay, as she knows all about Finn and Todd's history, ubeknownst to her husband.

Tim dies following a fall from Sally's roof.
    Soon after, Faye gives up her baby for adoption. As the Windass family fall apart, Faye angrily tells Anna she wouldn't give her another baby, after the mess she's made of her own family.

Julie Carp agrees to adopt Faye's baby. However, at Christmas Faye regrets what she's done and kidnaps her baby back. Faye, Anna and the baby flee Weatherfield.

Carla Connor buys the Rovers Return and becomes new landlady, leaving the factory to be run by new business partner Michelle. Carla keeps Liz on as bar manager, with Eva and Sean. She makes the controversial decision of axing Betty's hotpot from the menu! However, she redeems herself by agreeing to hold a fundraiser for Ken Barlow's cancer treatment, as one of the first events with her in charge.

Roy and Mary become a couple. Whilst Mary makes no secret of her desire for a physical relationship, Roy has no interest, though he is very fond of Mary. The pair live together at the Cafe.

Sophie proposes to Maddy and they get married on Valentines Day, with all the Websters present including Rhursie and Bill. It's a difficult day for Sally, as she is missing Tim but Kevin helps her through it. The day is ruined though when Maddie's ex boyfriend turns up...with their 4 year old son.

Kylie leaves Weatherfield forever with Callum.
    Gail is left devastated when Michael dies on their wedding day.
    fake Gavin is axed, never to be mentioned again.

Rita and Norris begin a price war with Dev's, when Norris vows to match Dev's prices and even goes about getting a liquor licence so they can stock wine.

Fiz and Tyrone leave Weatherfield, when their house burns down.
    Kirk and Beth have a baby girl, but she is born with downs syndrome and it's touch and go whether she will live.
    Some of these ideas are excellent. ^_^
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'd make an interesting plot twist if they were to kill off Kal. He's the weak link in the family anyway, and his death would have an impact on the dynamics of the family. I'd prefer if it tore them apart rather than pulled them closer, with Zeedan going off the rails and Alya leaving later on, with or without Gary - he's one of those characters with whom I've no interest in, he doesn't bother me but nor do I like him enough to care if he left. Same can be said for Izzy, who will be surplus once her own family depart, and it's not as if her presence in the factory will be missed.

Sharif and Yasmeen would have difficulties in their marriage, with Sharif straying. I'd like to see Yasmeen integrate more with the wider cast while maintaining some strong individual scenes with just Sharif focusing on them coming to terms with their loss and coping with the aftermath. I don't feel either have been used to their full potential yet, they haven't had proper material it's been all filler or involvement in the stories of Kal and Alya. The new set of the community centre is a misfire, I feel it should really have been a proper independent library to provide a new meeting place for the characters - Ken would surely be a regular and I think Julie might as well, some gentle comedy could be had from chance meetings in there. I don't feel like the community centre will give anything to anyone other than a place for the Nazirs to have scenes other than the house, which is silly.

The gym, run into the ground by a grieving Sharif, should be sold to a chain with new management installed, giving us a couple of new younger faces. I'd like to see Dev sell the Corner Shop too, maybe make a few investments that fall through and Sally uses her lottery money to purchase it, giving herself fancy titles and making herself Sophie's new boss.

Lloyd and Andrea should split, with Andrea leaving. Instead of replacing her with another new girlfriend, I think instead we should be introduced to a teenage nephew of his, for him to take under his wing after Lloyd's sister is convicted on drugs charges. It neatly sets up for when she's released later down the line too. Sinead should also say goodbye to the cobbles, it's been nearly two years now and I really don't see much life in the character. I fail to care about her current predicament either.

With Michael suddenly coming into money through a distant relative, he and Gail decide to buy the kebab shop, but they don't plan to keep it open. Instead Gail and Roy go into business once again as they knock the wall through and Roy's Rolls gets an expansion - a new look cafe with a new look menu to rival the fancy foods Nick serves up - but still a lot more sausage and mash than risotto. I think Gail needs a purpose, she needs more interaction outside her family circle and I don't want to see her scrubbing floors for her son when she's more experience in the industry than he has! It also harks back to a forgotten era, and heralds a new one on Victoria Street.

I can't think of any other exits or big changes I'd like to see happen other than I would like to see Sally and Tim married. Even though they vetoed the idea, I want them to be official.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I wish they would axe Sean Tully. Him and Dev.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Pete Callan I love most of your suggestions except I would swap the Nazir youngsters, Zeedan leaves, Alya stays & I would keep Sinead, I think she's a lovely little character, ideal for Ches & funny in her own quirky little way!! It doesn't bother me that she's not getting big storylines she's fine just being there being herself, much the same way as they've done with Julie over the years!!
    The rest of your ideas, bring them on!!
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'd make an interesting plot twist if they were to kill off Kal. He's the weak link in the family anyway, and his death would have an impact on the dynamics of the family. I'd prefer if it tore them apart rather than pulled them closer, with Zeedan going off the rails and Alya leaving later on, with or without Gary - he's one of those characters with whom I've no interest in, he doesn't bother me but nor do I like him enough to care if he left. Same can be said for Izzy, who will be surplus once her own family depart, and it's not as if her presence in the factory will be missed.

Sharif and Yasmeen would have difficulties in their marriage, with Sharif straying. I'd like to see Yasmeen integrate more with the wider cast while maintaining some strong individual scenes with just Sharif focusing on them coming to terms with their loss and coping with the aftermath. I don't feel either have been used to their full potential yet, they haven't had proper material it's been all filler or involvement in the stories of Kal and Alya. The new set of the community centre is a misfire, I feel it should really have been a proper independent library to provide a new meeting place for the characters - Ken would surely be a regular and I think Julie might as well, some gentle comedy could be had from chance meetings in there. I don't feel like the community centre will give anything to anyone other than a place for the Nazirs to have scenes other than the house, which is silly.

The gym, run into the ground by a grieving Sharif, should be sold to a chain with new management installed, giving us a couple of new younger faces. I'd like to see Dev sell the Corner Shop too, maybe make a few investments that fall through and Sally uses her lottery money to purchase it, giving herself fancy titles and making herself Sophie's new boss.

Lloyd and Andrea should split, with Andrea leaving. Instead of replacing her with another new girlfriend, I think instead we should be introduced to a teenage nephew of his, for him to take under his wing after Lloyd's sister is convicted on drugs charges. It neatly sets up for when she's released later down the line too. Sinead should also say goodbye to the cobbles, it's been nearly two years now and I really don't see much life in the character. I fail to care about her current predicament either.

With Michael suddenly coming into money through a distant relative, he and Gail decide to buy the kebab shop, but they don't plan to keep it open. Instead Gail and Roy go into business once again as they knock the wall through and Roy's Rolls gets an expansion - a new look cafe with a new look menu to rival the fancy foods Nick serves up - but still a lot more sausage and mash than risotto. I think Gail needs a purpose, she needs more interaction outside her family circle and I don't want to see her scrubbing floors for her son when she's more experience in the industry than he has! It also harks back to a forgotten era, and heralds a new one on Victoria Street.

I can't think of any other exits or big changes I'd like to see happen other than I would like to see Sally and Tim married. Even though they vetoed the idea, I want them to be official.

Love the majority of this actually. The only bit I disagree on is getting rid of Sinead. It's nice to have a normal girl on the street, she reminds me a little of Maria when she first came in it. Some good ideas there anyway Pete and they all have the potential for the much needed character development that Corrie is in need of at the moment rather than plot driven nonsense. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I don't like axing threads
    Neither does DS. That's why they're banned.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pete Callan I love most of your suggestions except I would swap the Nazir youngsters, Zeedan leaves, Alya stays & I would keep Sinead, I think she's a lovely little character, ideal for Ches & funny in her own quirky little way!! It doesn't bother me that she's not getting big storylines she's fine just being there being herself, much the same way as they've done with Julie over the years!!
    The rest of your ideas, bring them on!!
    Love the majority of this actually. The only bit I disagree on is getting rid of Sinead. It's nice to have a normal girl on the street, she reminds me a little of Maria when she first came in it. Some good ideas there anyway Pete and they all have the potential for the much needed character development that Corrie is in need of at the moment rather than plot driven nonsense. :)
    A lot of people say this about Alya and Zeedan, but I see more story going for the spiky, untamed Zeedan than nice, boring Alya. He's a blank canvas, and he's a character that I believe they could take to pretty dark places. Gets in with the wrong crowd, they could go for a gang story, but go in much harder with it than any other soap has done. It'd be amazing to see Yasmeen and a broken Sharif deal with that along with everything else. In fact, Alya could even be involved with that.

As for Sinead, she is nice, normal, but where do we go from there? Is she the one for Chesney? Is anything going to happen with them? Even if she does become permanently disabled, which I doubt, what story does that provoke? I get the comparison with Maria, but Maria had more options and a wider group of friends to interact with, and more than one potential love interest.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    But people in Corrie can fall off high buildings and survive, so I don't know how that would be done.
    :):):)
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the 7.30 instalment last night, I am sorry but it's awful - when are ITV going to sit up and sack Stuart BLACKBURN?