"Starter For Ten", "The Understudy" & "One Day" by David Nicholls.

cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read "One day" but am thinking of reading these 2 books too.

I know they're not follow ups but read great reviews.

Anyone read all 3?

Comments

• -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me! And I would recommend all three :)

I don't think Nicholls is capable of writing a bad book. However, One Day is easily his best piece of work so reading backwards is bound to put the other two books at a disadvantage. They are still funny and well crafted, but it feels a bit like Nicholls is still honing his skills. Just don't set your expectations too high. Also, I'd leave a gap between reading each book because the author does tend to rely on a set formula (even though it's executed well) so the books might feel samey if read too close together.
  • cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read One Day after reading the Understudy.

I personally hated the Understudy, I disliked the main character, didn't enjoy the style of writing and thought the plot was lightweight.

I thought One Day was Ok, liked the structure of the story, but wasn't completely enthralled by it. I only read it on the recommendation of someone whose opinion I respect, I probably wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't been urged to give it a go based on my thoughts about the Understudy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read "One Day" and "Starter For Ten" but not "The Understudy".

I loved both "One Day" and "Starter For Ten". I actually think I enjoyed "Starter For Ten" more, thought I know this goes against conventional wisdom. :D I'd 100% recommend "Starter For Ten", I just thought it was super.
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read all three and I really recommend all of them.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have read Starter for Ten and The Understudy, very good funny books, recommended!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I've read One Day and Starter for Ten, preferred the latter. It made me laugh alot and the characters were more engaging imo.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read all three. I read Starter for Ten a few years ago and loved it, have re-read it a couple of times since. Really well-crafted.

Bought and read One Day not realising it was by the same author. There are some similarities, but I largely found Starter for Ten more of a comedy.

I read The Understudy after the other two and didn't think it was as good.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Bought Starter for 25p at the weekend! saving it for on holiday
  • cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Bought Starter for 25p at the weekend! saving it for on holiday

Charity shop? :D
    Forum Member
    Charity shop? :D

Of course - reduced from 50P:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just re-read "Starter For Ten", inspired by this very thread. :D

Here's my little review that I put on the 211 in 2011 thread:

"Starter For Ten" by David Nicholls.

This was a re-read for me - I was inspired it to read it again by the thread on this forum recently asking for opinions on David Nicholls' books.

I have to say, too, I borrowed it from my local library here in the States, and it has been retitled in the USA to be called "A Question Of Attraction". I guess the title "Starter For Ten" wouldn't mean much to Americans who are not used to University Challenge. Indeed I wonder how Americans received this book as it is very, very British in its cultural references - extremely funny to us Brits (especially of a certain age) but I wonder how well it travelled. Think I'll look at some Amazon reviews to find out.

Anyway, I ADORE this book! It's set in 1985 and follows working-class first-year uni student Brian finding his feet in the rather middle-class uni world, falling in love for the first time and trying to fulfill his lifelong ambition to appear on the quiz show University Challenge. David Nicholls captures perfectly Brian's earnest pretentiousness and gaucheness (I can remember being a bit like that at Uni :o:D), and the author's sense of the absurd makes for a laugh-out-loud hilarious read.

100% recommended.
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read Starter for Ten and One Day, but not The Understudy.

I did like One Day, but not as much as the rest of the world seems to - thought it was OK but it's not in my top ten or anything. Starter for Ten I liked a lot actually, though again not one that would go in my top ten.
    Forum Member
    I just re-read "Starter For Ten", inspired by this very thread. :D

Here's my little review that I put on the 211 in 2011 thread:

"Starter For Ten" by David Nicholls.

This was a re-read for me - I was inspired it to read it again by the thread on this forum recently asking for opinions on David Nicholls' books.

I have to say, too, I borrowed it from my local library here in the States, and it has been retitled in the USA to be called "A Question Of Attraction". I guess the title "Starter For Ten" wouldn't mean much to Americans who are not used to University Challenge. Indeed I wonder how Americans received this book as it is very, very British in its cultural references - extremely funny to us Brits (especially of a certain age) but I wonder how well it travelled. Think I'll look at some Amazon reviews to find out.

Anyway, I ADORE this book! It's set in 1985 and follows working-class first-year uni student Brian finding his feet in the rather middle-class uni world, falling in love for the first time and trying to fulfill his lifelong ambition to appear on the quiz show University Challenge. David Nicholls captures perfectly Brian's earnest pretentiousness and gaucheness (I can remember being a bit like that at Uni :o:D), and the author's sense of the absurd makes for a laugh-out-loud hilarious read.

100% recommended.

really enjoyed Starer for Ten chiukled all the way through. I was at Uni 1983-86, so I'm definitely of a certain age. Lambrusco rosso the height of sophistication;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All 3 are great books in their own way but Starter for ten is my favourite.
  • fatpatiscallingfatpatiscalling Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    ive read one day but not the others however i did buy "starter for ten" in the week as it was on special offer, will get reading it asap :)
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,209
    Forum Member
    Have all 3 books but only re-read Starter For Ten and The Understudy.Bought One Day almost as soon as it came out in hardback 2 years ago.one Day favourite then Starter... then The Understudy.
  • sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really dont understand all the fuss about One Day. I was really expecting something amazing and found it boring.
    I hated the characters too, didnt find them realistic, the whole thing just had no depth. I know it's not supposed to, it's basically just chick lit but after all the hype I am disappointed.
  • fatpatiscallingfatpatiscalling Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    i would go as far as to say that one day is one of my fave books of all time (so far) i just love it, im not even sure why really as some bits to grate on me (especially the middle of the book) but i do love it all.

i havent seen the film but cant wait. the author had a lot of input to it and said hes very happy with the movie so i cant wait to get the dvd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I loved the Understudy! :)
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at a Billy Bragg gig last night and he dedicated St Swithins Day to "all you David Nicholls fans". Made me smile!
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought i'd posted on here but its disappeared!

Anyway I've read all three and liked them all although I would say the Understudy is my least favourite. I didn't really care about the characters or what happened to them. My favourite was definitely Starter for 10 - my heart breaks for Brian and also he kinda reminds me of my brother and the problems he faced when trying to make friends... I also loved One Day - couldn't put it down! Although a lot of my friends didn't enjoy the book - they said they didn't like Emma or Dexter...
    Forum Member
    I'm reading it now and rather enjoying it. Wonder who josh is based on?
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. I much prefered it to 'One Day', which I thought was overrated, dull, and a bit corny.

I got 'Starter for Ten' from the library yesterday but I haven't started it yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    I'm reading it now and rather enjoying it. Wonder who josh is based on?

I'd have thought any A-list actor living on drug fuelled parties :p
  • NorfolkPoppyNorfolkPoppy Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    alsmama wrote: »
    I was at a Billy Bragg gig last night and he dedicated St Swithins Day to "all you David Nicholls fans". Made me smile!

Yay! That's my birthday! Actually, it felt odd as I was reading the book as I knew what I had done on many of those days.

I've read 2 of the books and liked them but have got stuck with The Understudy....tried a few times to read it and had to put it down, just couldn't get into it. Will try again though.