Options

Urgent appeal by police in Leeds to trace mother and young child

ejmejm Posts: 3,515
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Police are issuing an urgent appeal to trace a young 3 year old who dialled 999 and told them her mother wasn't moving.

http://news.sky.com/story/967204/urgent-appeal-for-girl-in-leeds-999-call

If anyone tweets, please share, and share on Facebook too. There is quite a lot of information so someone must know this woman or her child.

Comments

• Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The call lasted for 33 minutes and they couldn't get a trace on the address :confused:
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    The call lasted for 33 minutes and they couldn't get a trace on the address :confused:

i don`t get that either, they managed to trace my granddaughter from a twenty minute phone call.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've shared it on facebook. I really hope the girl and her mum are found soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

presumably she was using an unregistered mobile phone. but you'd think they'd be able to tell which was the nearest transmitter.
  • Options
    Dolly_DimpleDolly_Dimple Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on the phone used. If it was a landline then yes, its easily traceable, however if a PAYG mobile was used then its not always possible, particularly as nowadays SIM cards can be purchased anywhere with no registration details needed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    they have the mothers full name and the little girls name. They even know where the grandparents live, and they cannot manage to trace the whereabouts after 24 hours.... worrying...:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bsplondon wrote: »
    they have the mothers full name and the little girls name. They even know where the grandparents live, and they cannot manage to trace the whereabouts after 24 hours.... worrying...:eek:

perhaps the little girl gave them the wrong information. mother might have changed her surname after a divorce for example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    The operator would normally have asked things like 'what colour is your front door' etc and if they knew any of their neighbour's names. Does mummy drive a car? etc. Also if the child knew her father's name?

Even on a PAYG mobile I was always under the assumption they can pinpoint a general area using the masts?

I used to cover the emergency lines for the deaf telephone relay service for when they had to call emergency services and this is what we were always advised was possible. Even 6 years ago.

Something not right here, very strange!
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mix96.co.uk/news/national/731512/urgent-appeal-for-girl-in-leeds-999-call/

Have they called all the nurseries/schools in Leeds asking for details on all young girls with that name? Surely if she's nearly four then she'd be in nursery? Or would she not start until they reopen in September? I realise Ellie is a common name but check them all. Doctor's surgeries? She would have records.

I'm finding this really strange. Nowadays you can find Bob Random you knew 40 years ago within about 2 minutes online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Something not right here, very strange!

yes i'm wondering if it was a fake call, with an adult putting on a childlike voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    yes i'm wondering if it was a fake call, with an adult putting on a childlike voice.

Even then they would have been able to trace the call and wouldn't have even raised the news story, just arrested the hoax caller. I Imagine they're trying to trace the mother for another reason, maybe? It's the only thing I can think of.

Unless for some reason their tracing systems have failed :confused:

Also if the police want to trace anything like this, surely they know just to give the details to the forum users on 4chan and they'll find it in minutes? (as always)
  • Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problem with tracing via mobile is, firstly it's not very accurate. They could get down to several streets I suppose. But usually they need pretty high authorization to get phone companies to release this sort of information. I doubt a 999 operator will have the authority.

By the time the request gets passed from dept to dept several hours if not days pass. It's only,when the right person gets on the case will anything be done. I suspect now it's in the news, someone will take ownership and get a rough idea where they are.

Tracking a PAYG mobile isn't all that hard now. They use a procedure in terror cases and other high profile cases where they look at other calls made from the same mobile mast. One will be a contract phone, which will have address details. They work from there.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky news reported that the call duration was half an hour. It is a bit puzzling that there doesn't seem to be a trace on it but I hardly think it's fake. Leeds is a big city but I would imagine that the communication systems are pretty well co-ordinated. It could be something as straightforward as the girl's mum falling into a diabetic coma and her having instructed the child to 'dial 999' if it happens while they are alone together.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may have been a 33 minute call but a lot of this call could have been trying to calm the kid down therefore didnt have time to get as much out of the child as needed. .

As for the mother and childs name maybe the child surname is that of her fathers. therefore they have a hard job of finding the child by doctor, school records as it could be any surname.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perfection wrote: »
    Problem with tracing via mobile is, firstly it's not very accurate. They could get down to several streets I suppose. But usually they need pretty high authorization to get phone companies to release this sort of information. I doubt a 999 operator will have the authority.

Exactly. If I remember rightly from my journalism days, it needs to be an officer of the rank of Superintendent or above to make a request to access phone records. Getting a trace on a phone call usually takes place in the case of nuisance calls which are repeated more than once. I doubt they have a button to press in the event of a call like this to instigate an immediate trace.

Leeds is an enormous city, not including any of the outer postcode areas, this little girl might say she lives in Leeds but is actually in one of the towns surrounding it. I live 10 miles NW of Leeds in a completely separate town but we get referred to as being part of Leeds constantly.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely agree with the above two posts.
    Leeds is massive (I'm Leeds 8). Having heard part of the call on BBC News, the little girl definitely has traces of a Leeds accent.
    Police are reporting that the call was taken over 24 hours ago, which is why they are so concerned and have confirmed that they have been unable (at least as yet) to trace it.

Edit: Oops, I see the 24 duration was already mentioned above. Sorry :o

Hope this ends well for them both.
  • Options
    BK.BK. Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all call stations have the facilities to trace calls from mobile phones - as far as I know, it's a bog standard facility nowadays for all call stations to be able to trace calls from landlines automatically - this isn't the case with calls from mobile phones. It requires a separate facility which isn't available in all call stations countrywide (at least this was how it was sometime within the last 12 months when I I was researching).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »

It is no prank call you just have to hear the litltle girl on the clip on BBC news to know this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-19062560

Hope they find them soon and they are both going to be ok.
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've just played the emergency call on Sky. I got quite upset :o
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ejm wrote: »

I heard it on there too. I couldn't figure out what was being said though.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just about to post this but found it here.

I really hope they get found. It's strange they haven't found Ellie's or her mum's medical records or electrol roll details to track them down yet :(
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    I'm bit upset too :(
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recording here from the local news - http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2012-07-31/police-release-recording-of-little-girls-999-call/

Only thing I can add is that the '3-year-old' thing may be a red herring, as she sounds a little older, but it all sounds genuine to me.

Facebook brings up a couple of Stacey Halls in Leeds, but that will have been the first thing they checked.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One assumes they will have had a look at all Fish and Chip shops with a road Court in the name ( there is only 1 listed online and thats in Wetherby) and also checked things such as the electoral roll, that only shows 2 Stacey Hall for the current register.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    i don`t get that either, they managed to trace my granddaughter from a twenty minute phone call.

20 Mins ? they found my sister in lot less just a few minutes on her mobile must depend on a lot of factors.