Options

Will anti Catholic sentiment ever go away?

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    The pope and the hierarchy are not the church. People belong first and foremost to their local parish community and in my experience when they call themselves "catholic" they are identifying with their parish and not paying too much attention to the pope etc. Their friends and support are down the road, not in the vatican.

Yeah I can see that actually, and I guess its fair enough. However, I don't think that even taking that into account, Catholics can really moan when other people say they may be a bit hypocritical. I mean while I do actually understand totally what you are saying, in the end, the Catholic Church as an entity, has the Pope as its head, supposedly God's voice on earth. Therefore no matter how they view themselves, ultimately they are passively condoning what the Pope preaches by being part of that organisation.

"I don't think the Pope is right but I'm rather fond of all my community activities so what the heck" is not really a valid reason in my opinion.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Believe me I am a Catholic. People who put the boot into the Church NEVER give it credit for any of the good it has done, thus showing their true ignorance and bigotry.

What good has it done that can erase the institutionalised child abuse, homophobia, slavery, opposing science, the spanish inquisition, and imprisoning unmarried women for life(to name a few)?

Sure, I like the art. That's nice.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    The other main faiths are also opposed to homosexuality.

I am pleased to see that some branches of Christianity, e.g. Quakers, Unitarians and others do not take such a hostile and discriminatory stance. One of Christ Jesus' prime commandments was "love one another" and it has never been "love one another except for...the slaves/the racially segregated/gay/etc. There should be no place for any form of discrimination or racism within Christianity and those who profess such unholy sentiments are like the hypocritical shroud wavers that Christ Jesus taught us about.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe me I am a Catholic. People who put the boot into the Church NEVER give it credit for any of the good it has done, thus showing their true ignorance and bigotry.

Just maybe because the bad outweighs all the good?
    It is amazing how much `stuff` people who are anti Catholic `know` about the Church.

Actually - it's the other way round :p It's suprising how little many people who proclaim themselves devout Catholics know about their church!
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    The other main faiths are also opposed to homosexuality.

You still haven't explained why you think that is a valid excuse for the institutional homophobia in the catholic church.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You still haven't explained why you think that is a valid excuse for the institutional homophobia in the catholic church.

Surely you mean the institutionalised closet-caseness??? :p That's the whole problem - the clerics who ARE homosexual...and choose to practice it with minors.

It's the hugely visible double standards....
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am pleased to see that some branches of Christianity, e.g. Quakers, Unitarians and others do not take such a hostile and discriminatory stance. One of Christ Jesus' prime commandments was "love one another" and it has never been "love one another except for...the slaves/the racially segregated/gay/etc. There should be no place for any form of discrimination or racism within Christianity and those who profess such unholy sentiments are like the hypocritical shroud wavers that Christ Jesus taught us about.

Jesus did not preach promiscuity, even the woman caught in adultery was told to go and sin no more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely you mean the institutionalised closet-caseness??? :p That's the whole problem - the clerics who ARE homosexual...and choose to practice it with minors.

The fact is all Christians are sinners. Of course if you do not have any sense of sin then you are entirely free to do what you want. Nobody is saying the Church is made up of perfect people. Far from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »

You are incorrect, the Church says sex is only sanctioned within marriage. That may be a lot of tosh to a lot of people (including many Priests) but homosexuality is regarded as no worse than adultery. I personally couldn`t care less about people`s sex lives. If you are non Catholic you should not care what the Church says. It does not apply to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just maybe because the bad outweighs all the good?

Actually - it's the other way round :p It's suprising how little many people who proclaim themselves devout Catholics know about their church!

I know about my Church thank you. That`s why I believe it is the One True Church. Nothing you say will ever change that.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Anti Catholic sentiment might start to go away when it stops being such a bigoted, unpleasant religion, and properly holds itself account for the child abuse scandals.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Anti Catholic sentiment might start to go away when it stops being such a bigoted, unpleasant religion, and properly holds itself account for the child abuse scandals.

I think you just hit a big nail on the head.;)
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

filler..
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are incorrect, the Church says sex is only sanctioned within marriage. That may be a lot of tosh to a lot of people (including many Priests) but homosexuality is regarded as no worse than adultery. I personally couldn`t care less about people`s sex lives. If you are non Catholic you should not care what the Church says. It does not apply to you.

It would be a well made point if the Catholic church actively supported gay marriage. But having sex outside marriage as a sin, then saying marriage between same sex couples shouldn't be allowed, leaves only celibacy as an option to be sin free to gay members of the church.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    It would be a well made point if the Catholic church actively supported gay marriage. But having sex outside marriage as a sin, then saying marriage between same sex couples shouldn't be allowed, leaves only celibacy as an option to be sin free to gay members of the church.

I have watched a Youtube video where they attack Asexuals as well saying it's against God so even a sex free life isn't good enough if your not straight
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched a Youtube video where they attack Asexuals as well saying it's against God so even a sex free life isn't good enough if your not straight

Wow, I haven't seen that, they attack people with no sex drive as abnormal?

How bizarre. :eek:
  • Options
    scheadschead Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, I haven't seen that, they attack people with no sex drive as abnormal?

How bizarre. :eek:

Of course they are abnormal. It is Gods will to **** small boys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member

Homosexual men do not have sex with minors. Paedophiles do.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact is all Christians are sinners. Of course if you do not have any sense of sin then you are entirely free to do what you want. Nobody is saying the Church is made up of perfect people. Far from it.

You say that as if all wrongs are equal. Having a poor diet is a personal issue, and is something that at most should be discouraged, or offered assistance for getting away from.

Child rape is something that should have the offender removed from society for a generation.

Sexuality is never the problem. Violating bodily freedom is the problem.

But another big problem of the Catholic Church, is that they act as if engaging with people in consent is a problem, while they spend resources on covering up, rather than on tracking down and eliminating child rape and child rapists. They should not be seen as an authority on morality by any living person.
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Catholic church needs to get it's house in order, bring the wrongdoers to justice and sweep away the archaic dogma if it ever wants to gain respect and move forward. IMO the higher echelons of the church have betrayed their followers and set destructive boundaries on them.
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I was in a store in Boston when some little sh,, tried to pick a fight with me over the potato famine because he heard my accent. But obviously all the hatred runs one way.

That's just plastic paddy mentality which a lot of Irish Americans cling to, forgetting all the injustices and persecution there own immigrant forefathers contributed to along the way iin the US.

Sadly all countries that become powerful have shady episodes in their history. To lay the blame solely at the feet of the British is ...well anti British.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely you mean the institutionalised closet-caseness??? That's the whole problem - the clerics who ARE homosexual...and choose to practice it with minors.

Sexuality is never the problem. Violating bodily freedom is the problem.

That's WHY I included the statement I've emboldened...which leads me on to -

We're not talking about "sin" in the sight of God. We're talking about really quite evil CRIMES perpetrated on minors - and in many cases THEN actively covered up by the Church.

In this country at least - that's called "conspiracy", and in extreme cases "conspiracy to pervert the course of justice".