Great British Menu 2014

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
First I heard of this was a few weeks back when Ashkar Islam was on Saturday Kitchen and said he was appearing again this year and there would be a D-Day theme.

As with many BBC progs this year it is tying into the WW1 anniversary.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b040s1st

Starts Monday night on BBC2 at 7:30pm

Comments

• jg.jg. Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this programme. Always nice to see chefs at the top of their game (oh and Johnny Mountain when he was in it) do creative things at a high level.

As long as there are none of the pretentious deconstructed dishes and pointless smears on the plate..oh, and equally pointless foam....
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I also hope the judging is improved from the utter shambles it was last series.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    First I heard of this was a few weeks back when Ashkar Islam was on Saturday Kitchen and said he was appearing again this year and there would be a D-Day theme.

With the theme I'm not sure if I'm excited or horrified what the Comedy Titanic chef will come up with this year :o:o:o
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just found it on my TV guides app, I have always enjoyed this series, when I used to have to work when it was on I would clutter up my PVR all week to watch on a Saturday morning. Loved it.
    Forum Member
    Is this the beetroot series now?

Kerridge is looking well though
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the beetroot series now?

Kerridge is looking well though

I wondered if beetroot was a compulsory ingredient.

Tom Kerridge did not mince words today, must have been pretty dire to get that response .
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the theme I'm not sure if I'm excited or horrified what the Comedy Titanic chef will come up with this year :o:o:o

The Lusitania?:o
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    jg. wrote: »
    I love this programme. Always nice to see chefs at the top of their game (oh and Johnny Mountain when he was in it) do creative things at a high level.

As long as there are none of the pretentious deconstructed dishes and pointless smears on the plate..oh, and equally pointless foam....

Pointless beetroot this year.
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    I wondered if beetroot was a compulsory ingredient.

Tom Kerridge did not mince words today, must have been pretty dire to get that response .
    To be honest when I heard the brief and though of things that maybe they would eat at that time I though of a posh smap fritter :D

A pork terrine or brawn coated in panko breadcrumbs.
    I think it'd be better than jellied ham :D
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this brief will be even trickier than last year's. Are we going to have lots of meals named after WWII slogans which are really just restaurant dishes? Or lots of meals served in ration boxes or mess tins to look 'authentic'? You could end up with dishes that have only a very tenuous link to the brief, (remember the Titanic debacle and the 'comedy plates' and gramophone records?!) and that lead to questionable judging last year.
    If I were taking part in the competition, what I would do personally is to look at the weekly rations, look at the recipes, standard army rations and Ministry of Food guidelines and utilise them in my dishes. WWII staple dishes like Lord Wootton's pie, but presented in a new, celebratory guise.
    Far better than serving up mackerel and calling it 'Dig for Victory'.
  • smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Ray is already through then, after one day. I don't see him losing a 4 point lead over last place Will.
    I'm not sure if I like Ray that much. I try to but he seems quite smug.
  • opal88opal88 Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smokeycat wrote: »
    Looks like Ray is already through then, after one day. I don't see him losing a 4 point lead over last place Will.
    I'm not sure if I like Ray that much. I try to but he seems quite smug.

Exactly - and that pigeon's claw that looked as if it had been mummified whilst holding a Dead Sea scroll would have made me gag if it had appeared on my plate, no matter how much rationing was affecting the food supply.
  • jg.jg. Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some nice fish fishes..and the "captain of our soles" dish looked amazing. But it would hard to eat without thinking of captains of arseholes! :)
    Forum Member
    The Wareing arse licking was embarrassing.

We'll have to be on top form to impress Marcus. What, like Tom Kerridge is a nobody?
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go along with Tom K and his food any day rather than most other chefs around these days. I think his diet plan should be also be produced in a book and tv programme - he has lost a huge amount of weight. Maybe this is already being done!
    Forum Member
    Not sure what Ray was thinking making two mains but surely he can say that the hash is the soldiers meal and the sirloin the officers?
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A pity the young chef had such a torrid time as the competitive part of the first four days was over after two.

It will be tricky to know what is suitable for this year's banquet. I don't know how veterans of D Day look back on it now but I'm not sure serving a dish in a helmet for instance is the right sort of thing to do. I think maybe quite traditionally based dishes may be the most suitable this year served without gimmicks.

It's a tricky brief for the chef's to meet. I think using parsnips in the cake for Raymond's dessert met the brief as much as any dish really although, given a choice, I'd rather have eaten either of the other two desserts, neither of which met the brief at all really.

Looking forward to seeing what Raymond does tomorrow about his double main course, if anything.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Urm, isn't it tying into the 70th Anniversary of D-Day which is WW II not WW I.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what Ray was thinking making two mains but surely he can say that the hash is the soldiers meal and the sirloin the officers?

Very very weird. He could have had the 2 meals (an officers one and a soldiers one) done in a much better way. Less of each for a start, and plate it up in a "beef 2 ways" style. Also could have had some props to make it more obvious what he was doing, like having a mini version of the soldiers mess tin (like the mini fry basket you get your chips in in 'posh' pubs) with the soldiers meal in it.

Disappointed in Will. I was VERY impressed by his restaurant, especially for a head chef so young. A few of my friends also went to school with him so I was definitely rooting for him. I think the pressure got to him but hopefully he'll be back next year when he won't be so nervous. Also think (as Tom pointed out) his food is maybe just a bit too fussy for a banquet and he needs to rein that back a little bit. Obviously it's his style but you can have all the foams and whatnot without over complicating the food so much.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this food actually intended to be eaten by D Day veterans?

They will be in their very late 80's and 90's. I suspect that fiddly food served in unusual "dishes" could be difficult for possibly frail individuals with arthritis and other medical conditions.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »

They will be in their very late 80's and 90's. I suspect that fiddly food served in unusual "dishes" could be difficult for possibly frail individuals with arthritis and other medical conditions.

Agree. If veterans are to be the majority of the banquet guests (which they fully deserve to be), then as a chef I would be nervous about anything too 'chefy'. I know not all older people are conservative, but going by my grand parents and great aunts and uncles' tastes, their generation preferred more traditional dishes.

My Nan (who lived through the Manchester blitz as a teenager) would have seen putting chilli and lemongrass in pineapple as 'mucking it up'. She tried pizza and lasagne and cous cous, but at the end of the day she was a meat and veg person - no strong sauces, no spices and nothing gimmicky. She was modern in her outlook in every other way, but having grown up with such a limited larder she liked plain food - and lots of it.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No doubt you will be thinking they will need extra large menus and the waiters will have to shout at them IN A REALLY LOUD VOICE? :)

There will be probably be a few token veterans but most of the tables will be full of the usual suspects from the world of 'entertainment'. I'll lay an early bet that Ross Kemp will be there or thereabouts.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Another chance to throw a pan full of boiling water into Wareings face has been missed.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt you will be thinking they will need extra large menus and the waiters will have to shout at them IN A REALLY LOUD VOICE? :)

There will be probably be a few token veterans but most of the tables will be full of the usual suspects from the world of 'entertainment'. I'll lay an early bet that Ross Kemp will be there or thereabouts.

:D:D:D Well that would certainly have been the case with my late FIL! He also had some false teeth related issues (I know - too much information).

I am sure you are right about the celebs though - I'm sure that most of the guests will be non veterans.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

I'd have thought that 'fiddly' would be the least of their worries.
    They'd probably look at it and think "where's the food?"
    They'd be brought up on big portions of stodge.