Survivor 29 - San Juan del Sur: Blood vs Water

RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
Forum Member
✭✭
Cast reveal: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/27/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-cast-twists-revealed/

Redemption Island is gone but Exile Island is back!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time watching as it airs, I'm excited. I've watched up to S10 Palau, watching S11 Guatemala now.

Happy to see the twins from TAR there
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I can't wait for Big Brother to be over and Survivor can start.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one season I don't watch in years (the last one) turns out to be amazing. I might try this one but the Twinnies do my head in, why the hell did CBS think of all the family pairs on TAR we would want them?

Also am I right in thinking this is the first time a TAR participant when to compete on another CBS show. Usually they go from BB and Survivor to TAR.
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wait for the Twinnies, I think they'll be fun.

But on the whole the cast seems kinda boring. Hopefully they'll be more exciting in the game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    Here's hoping for a great season!
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Spoilers on premiere-

"good news you officially have fire" eh, they already had fire who cares about the officially.

Anyway it will be funny I guess if both twins get eliminated first as in the last Amazing Race they were in.

The premiere was alright, though the blood v water crying began immediately with the first challenge. And Jeff is already asking people questions all the time about are you missing your sister, brother, daughter etc etc. I think it's better with strangers really rather than family.

Another baseball guy, the last one provided some funny TV so maybe this one will, already plotting to get rid of the one who recognised him

The usual theme of the gay guy siding with the girls, or not as the case may be. I wonder if he actually just voted for a third person to make the vote not about him picking one group's choice. Actually looking at the votes cast at the end that's what he did. He probably pleases nobody much doing that, though I suppose he can always say he voted with the men.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Pretty good start, everyone seems likeable at the moment.
    There's no-one desperately trying to be the villain or the nerdy 'genius' (mentioning no names from last season). It's just a bunch of people mixing with eachother.

The closest thing to a caricature was probably Drew (yo, bro!) being WAY too pleased with himself for building the shelter.

Felt a shame that Nadiya had to go, she managed to be loud without being malicious, though she rather clumsily compared Josh to a girl way too many times. Though I think the main reason was the tribe were concerned about her previous experience on AR which is fairly understandable.

Looking forward to this season, going to avoid spoilers like the plague.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natalie and Nadiya may actually have been better separated as they always argue with each other, but they were bound to be reunited again and they would probably have gone back to being annoying.

Maybe I missed something but I didn't get the point of them being separated and trying to make fire at the start.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the premiere. The cast is not as interesting as S28 but the dynamic is there. And judging from the season preview at the end this season can be quite messy (what? medic evac? quitting?)

John has a douche edit. I don't like him already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »

Maybe I missed something but I didn't get the point of them being separated and trying to make fire at the start.

It was just a way to introduce the audience to the pairs. They did it in the first Blood vs Water too.

I thought the premiere was okay. Nothing amazing. A little too much crying for my liking. But so far there is nobody that makes me want to turn off, overall they seem a fairly likable bunch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a brief moment when the twins were together at the start and started arguing as usual, but that problem's been resolved now.
  • V1Chris21V1Chris21 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode was okay - wish they did the same as last season though and aired episodes one and two on the first night! I didn't want Nadiya to go but I'm interested in seeing Natalie's reaction.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably pleases nobody much doing that, though I suppose he can always say he voted with the men.

Yeah, I don't see the point of doing that. He makes a personal enemy of the girl who wanted to confide in him and trust him, for no reason. If he voted for the person who was actually the target then there wouldn't be anyone left in the game with a personal grudge, the effect with the other girls would be identical, and he would have scored points with the other men. As it is he's marked himself as an outcast from everyone, with all the disadvantages of either choice and none of the advantages.

True, he could lie, but to the extent that he could get away with that he could have voted for anyone he wanted to. Actually voting for who you say you voted for is easier unless you have some very specific strategic reason not to, and it's hard to see the advantage here.

They'll still need him as a swing vote for a while, but if he doesn't pick a side, everyone will want him gone soon enough.
  • .:Tom:..:Tom:. Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    There's something about this season which just doesn't interest even remotely. My boredom increased as it became clear the cast was predominantly celebs who are mildly well known in the US. The whole thing just seems more contrived than ever. Going back to Nicaragua is even less appealing too. The most interesting thing was how the fire was started. A throwback to when it was about survival. I like that guy who started it as well, hope he does well.

Despite a very bland opener, I'll give it one more episode. Maybe it will pick up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure now that Josh can easily lie on this. Baylor will be saying she voted with the men. I'm guessing but maybe she even told them beforehand rather than waiting on Josh anymore. And you can't really assume that Baylor would vote for herself at tribal, if that's even allowed. She wouldn't even be happy about Josh putting her name out there, even though it was just a wasted vote nobody wants their name mentioned as a possiblity at tribal. So Josh will certainly have turned all the women against himself and the talk at the tribal will have just confirmed Josh to be a floater.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .:Tom:. wrote: »
    There's something about this season which just doesn't interest even remotely. My boredom increased as it became clear the cast was predominantly celebs who are mildly well known in the US. The whole thing just seems more contrived than ever. Going back to Nicaragua is even less appealing too. The most interesting thing was how the fire was started. A throwback to when it was about survival. I like that guy who started it as well, hope he does well.

Despite a very bland opener, I'll give it one more episode. Maybe it will pick up.

Predominantly celebs?

John Rocker and Reed for his Broadway stuff. And then I guess the Twinnies for their appearances on TAR.

That's four out of a cast of 18. Hardly predominantly celebs.

I agree that Nicaragua is a horrible location though.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    That episode was okay, but its far from shaping up to be a classic.

10 males, 6 females left now.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Jesus the orange tribe are stupid, they actually thought Val had TWO IDOLS even though John knew he had one of them so he clearly has never seen the show before.

Val was a idiot for lying to John who was actually trying to save her

Wes, Alec? Baylor and Dale are all sheep who are useless players

Josh seems to be the only one who wants to play the game, and he is still a pathetic coward

Jacquline seems like someone to root for but she is on the outs now and her edit has been... well has she had one? She will be next out... but seriously the stupidity on the orange tribe baffles me. Its like they got 9 people random people who have never seen the show.

On the other tribe, well they seem more likeable atm, but need to see more of them as a tribe. The highlight off the episode was when Drew was supporting Josh and Jon was like "Reed is on our tribe" lol
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Val had it coming - John tried to save her but she lied to him saying she had TWO idols (that was an awful bluff)? This sealed her demise.

What a fail episode for Jon who lost the flint, the guy who cheered for the wrong guy at IC. And also, CUT ALL THE SOBBING PLEASE, CBS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's blood v water so they'll be a fair bit of sobbing again unfortunately. What irks me as much with these though is Jeff milking it for all it's worth saying 'how do you feel about this' whenever he thinks some family issue comes up at a challenge.

They are making the reward challenge a bit of a pointless individual contest I think . But otherwise I've been happy enough with the boots so I can't really complain. Happy Val went, her line about her idol performance being Oscar worthy probably indicated she would be booted. I don't get how the baseball guy seemed to still believe she had idols even after she went, but credit to him for actually finding an idol anyway. I wouldn't mind more strategising talk but so far it's simply been the men v the women in that tribe.

The other tribe has one of these car crash TV people who thinks that by owning up to something it will get him off the hook, his behaviour might actually end up saving Natalie from being eliminated quick from that tribe.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Val overplayed it, but wish Baylor had gone. Not picking up very good vibes from her, both her and Josh seem like cowardly players. She seems like a bit of a brat and wants to be a tag-along to the guys but is she going to be anywhere but the bottom of that alliance? At least if she went with the women she'd be one of the most physical ones so would probably be kept around if the worst comes to the worst.

Glad the Hunahpu tribe is kicking their arses. It seems like a pretty good tribe, I'm glad they lost the flint though so we could see some of the tribe dynamics. I also liked the IC challenge because it means everyone gets focus.
    lol Drew cheering on Josh. Hope he brings the random hilarity every episode.

Typical that John would find the idol, but him believing that Val would have two idols shows he doesn't have much of a clue about the game. Then again the way Survivor's going I wouldn't be surprised if they start bringing in 3 or 4 idols at the same time.
    Forum Member
    It's blood v water so they'll be a fair bit of sobbing again unfortunately. What irks me as much with these though is Jeff milking it for all it's worth saying 'how do you feel about this' whenever he thinks some family issue comes up at a challenge.

They are making the reward challenge a bit of a pointless individual contest I think . But otherwise I've been happy enough with the boots so I can't really complain. Happy Val went, her line about her idol performance being Oscar worthy probably indicated she would be booted. I don't get how the baseball guy seemed to still believe she had idols even after she went, but credit to him for actually finding an idol anyway. I wouldn't mind more strategising talk but so far it's simply been the men v the women in that tribe.

The other tribe has one of these car crash TV people who thinks that by owning up to something it will get him off the hook, his behaviour might actually end up saving Natalie from being eliminated quick from that tribe.

When was Natalie in trouble anyway, it showed last week she was in the alliance Jeremy formed and people who lose their loved ones seem to go further anyway. I think Natalie will make merge at least. If anything Julie is in trouble now because John did not stick to the plan in keeping Val (he did try to but Val was a idiot), and I can see Jeremy target her. I dont think Jon they guy who lost the flint and owned up to it is getting that bad of a edit, he seems to be getting a lot of screen time which makes me think he becomes more of a character down the road. I still think Jeremy's edit is too perfect so far and he will be blindsided out of the game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natalie may last, I really just meant some of the pressure could be taken off her. The tribe could conceivably take the lead from the other in taking out someone with a reputation from The Amazing Race. We haven't seen much of what is happening in that tribe yet.
    Forum Member
    Natalie may last, I really just meant some of the pressure could be taken off her. The tribe could conceivably take the lead from the other in taking out someone with a reputation from The Amazing Race. We haven't seen much of what is happening in that tribe yet.

What we have seen from Natailes tribe is that she is in a much better position than her sister was in.

Shes part of the alliance Jeremy formed of her, the old lady, the blond girl and Keith

Drew and Jon dont seemed to be liked
    Julie is now screwed because of John voting Val out
    and Reed is just there

This is why I find it strange Jon is getting so much screen time when he does not need any really, which makes me think he will be a big character down the line.

Missy, Kelly and Reed are the only ones on the tribe not to have any edit yet.