People dressing up for court appearances

Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok I know this is a random question but you see people convicted of crimes in a suit and tie whilst on trial . Now the thing is some people (such as terror suspects who hate the west ) also wear such attire . I want to know is it ones own choice to wear a suit and tie or are they pretty much forced to wear these clothes ?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    you can wear what you like to court.
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it sets a good impression maybe?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a formal occasion.
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive seen it quite a few times and it makes me laugh. I once had a client see her for a consultation in the High Court Lobby night before her case , next day I didnt recognise her at all as she had transformed herself from a scrubber into someone quite beautiful.

Didnt impress the judge and jury as she was found gulity and swore like a trooper at the Jury foreman who delivered the guilty verdict, and she sat through the whole case like Mother Teresa......it was very funny.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it sets a good impression maybe?
    But why would a suspected terrorist who hates the west care about making an impression ?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why would a suspected terrorist who hates the west care about making an impression ?

Because they want to avoid jail.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old joke....

What do you call a Scotsman in a suit ?

The accused.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Old joke....

The accused.

Er....can you explain that one ? :confused:
  • funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member

Because they care about themselves and want to avoid getting in trouble, so want to make a good impression with the people who hold their future in their hands. Not respecting someone doesn't mean you can't recognise when they have power over you.
    Forum Member

one of the village idiots here had to attend court for sending abuse and threats to the mosque in town and being in possession of a pigs head, he went suited and booted but wearing a tie with pigs on, it didn`t go well and he`s waiting to be sentenced to prison, it does matter what you wear if you want a good personal outcome.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Although it isn't like they turn up in some Hugo Boss. It is the cheapest suit they can find.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once had to go see a Judge. I wasn't 'in court', but I wore smart clothes purely because I had an appointment with a Judge. I think it's having respect for your surroundings and the people who you will encounter in those surroundings (such as Judges) that makes people dress smartly. I wouldn't have wanted a Judge to see me in scruffy clothes even though I wasn't in a situation where I had to make a good impression.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno you can tell you're in the vicinity of the Magistrates' Court here by the Burberry and the slightly-more-formal trackies...

When I was last a witness, the defendant (male) turned up in a cream linen suit like one of the Bee Gees ca. 1978. Some people's attempt at 'smart' isn't er.... normal.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »

When I was last a witness, the defendant (male) turned up in a cream linen suit like one of the Bee Gees ca. 1978. Some people's attempt at 'smart' isn't er.... normal.

Good gawd...! :o
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I once had to go see a Judge. I wasn't 'in court', but I wore smart clothes purely because I had an appointment with a Judge. I think it's having respect for your surroundings and the people who you will encounter in those surroundings (such as Judges) that makes people dress smartly. I wouldn't have wanted a Judge to see me in scruffy clothes even though I wasn't in a situation where I had to make a good impression.

Whenever I see a judge, all be-wigged and gowned I always have a picture in my mind that they have nothing on underneath, other than stockings and suspenders!

I find this helps me to be less daunted in their presence.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    My mate turned up in fancy dress and got an extra two weeks for contempt back in the poll tax protest days.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Whenever I see a judge, all be-wigged and gowned I always have a picture in my mind that they have nothing on underneath, other than stockings and suspenders!

I find this helps me to be less daunted in their presence.

Oh that's actually true, and here's the proof...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7yR2HMrzE
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can wear what you like to court.
    No you can't.
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    No you can't.

i`ll put it another way, you don`t have to dress up for court if you aren`t part of the legal system.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`ll put it another way, you don`t have to dress up for court if you aren`t part of the legal system.
    That's a slightly different answer to a slightly different question.

Even if not part of the legal system, ( and to be pedantic if you are in Court you are usually part of the legal system ), you can't wear what you want in court, not any more you can't.
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    That's a slightly different answer to a slightly different question.

Even if not part of the legal system, ( and to be pedantic if you are in Court you are usually part of the legal system ), you can't wear what you want in court, not any more you can't.

i`ve been to court many times for different reasons, people are often straight up from the cells in whatever shite they were wearing when they got arrested and i have attended dressed the same as any other day -that`s jeans or combats and hoodies with hikers and a leather, i`d be interested to see a link detailing what one is not permitted to wear in court if you have one.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Round here they wear rigger boots and a length of baling twine around their coats.:D
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My little brother is always in court. He turned up once with a T-shirt on that said "fxck the police" on it. The judge wouldn't attend to the hearing until someone got him a different top.
    benjamini wrote: »
    Old joke....

The accused.

:D:D:D Barring the one time mentioned above, this is very true of him. If I spotted him in town, I knew that's where he'd been or was heading :D (Thank God I disowned him many years ago!)
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    When we had a Burton's Menswear in town my friend had a part-time job there.

They had a lot of young men in to buy their 'first suits' i.e for their first court appearance.
  • Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    If you know you're most likely going to be sent down, then why bother dressing up?