Options

People who only argue in extremes

cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else find this really frustrating? I've met a few people with whom it's impossible to have a reasonable balanced discussion about anything, because they always go to extremes, especially around health issues. For example, if someone's talking about the importance of eating healthily and not becoming obese, they'll pull a sarcastic face and say "Oh, I suppose we've all got to be a twig-thin size zero have we?" Or if someone says it's dangerous to, say, smoke around babies, they'll say "Oh, right, so I suppose all kids should be wrapped in cotton wool?" A lot of journalists do it too!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you'll find it's because they Knob Jockies....
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    I think you'll find it's because they Knob Jockies....
    Don't the jockeys mind being knobbed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmsl:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a defensive strategy from people who feel threatened. Rather than argue their point properly, or indeed if their view is indefensible, they just go to the extreme and derail the whole argument.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And there's the ones who, in any discussion, ask why are people are worried, say, about floods in Yorkshire whilst there is a war on in Iraq. Or ask why you're not discussing apples in a thread about oranges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    And there's the ones who, in any discussion, ask why are people are worried, say, about floods in Yorkshire whilst there is a war on in Iraq. Or ask why you're not discussing apples in a thread about oranges.

Ah yes, that's a favourite on the animal threads.

"I'm not thinking about animals because there are children suffering" as if the two are mutually exclusive and you can't tackle more than one problem at any one time.
  • Options
    krazymackrazymac Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    It's usually people with insufficient knowledge of what they are arguing about, that use the tactics you have suggested. Nothing more than that really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purity wrote: »
    It's just a defensive strategy from people who feel threatened. Rather than argue their point properly, or indeed if their view is indefensible, they just go to the extreme and derail the whole argument.

Absolutely spot on! That's exactly what is is. Another silly arguing trick--often used by exacty the same people--is the one where they react as if they've been bullied or attacked, when in fact the other person has just politely disagreed with them. So, they say "I think XYZ" and you politely say, "I don't agree, I think ABC,"...And then they go all defensive and victim-y, and say something like "There's no need to be rude" or "Stop shouting at me!" (even though you weren't rude and didn't shout!") This allows them to play the victim, so the disagreement becomes about that, rather than the actual subject. The worst example of the "pretend-I've-just-been-attacked" trick is Jeremy Kyle. If anyone shows the slightest signs of challenging his point of view or disagreeing--however politely and respectfully--he smirks knowingly at the audience, and then snarls something like "Don't you start on me, mate, I haven't even got out of first gear yet." It creates the illusion that the other person has been aggressive and Needs Putting In Their Place, when they haven't actually done anything wrong. Horrible trick!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »

Oh yes! ....Or justify some ridiculously dangerous/risky/foolhardy activity on the grounds that "I could fall under a bus tomorrow!" :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krazymac wrote: »
    It's usually people with insufficient knowledge of what they are arguing about, that use the tactics you have suggested. Nothing more than that really.

Spot on. A lot of people can't actually defend or back up their statements and then follow it with saying they have the right to free speech
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    Anyone else find this really frustrating? I've met a few people with whom it's impossible to have a reasonable balanced discussion about anything, because they always go to extremes, especially around health issues. For example, if someone's talking about the importance of eating healthily and not becoming obese, they'll pull a sarcastic face and say "Oh, I suppose we've all got to be a twig-thin size zero have we?" Or if someone says it's dangerous to, say, smoke around babies, they'll say "Oh, right, so I suppose all kids should be wrapped in cotton wool?" A lot of journalists do it too!
    Oh, right, so we're not supposed to have an opinion then?

:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    You're either right or wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely spot on! That's exactly what is is. Another silly arguing trick--often used by exacty the same people--is the one where they react as if they've been bullied or attacked, when in fact the other person has just politely disagreed with them. So, they say "I think XYZ" and you politely say, "I don't agree, I think ABC,"...And then they go all defensive and victim-y, and say something like "There's no need to be rude" or "Stop shouting at me!" (even though you weren't rude and didn't shout!") This allows them to play the victim, so the disagreement becomes about that, rather than the actual subject. The worst example of the "pretend-I've-just-been-attacked" trick is Jeremy Kyle. If anyone shows the slightest signs of challenging his point of view or disagreeing--however politely and respectfully--he smirks knowingly at the audience, and then snarls something like "Don't you start on me, mate, I haven't even got out of first gear yet." It creates the illusion that the other person has been aggressive and Needs Putting In Their Place, when they haven't actually done anything wrong. Horrible trick!

Very true. If someone doesn't like the fact that 2 people disagree with their viewpoint it's very easy to turn it into a 'ganging up' situation where the actual points being debated are lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theselling wrote: »
    You're either right or wrong.

There are shades of grey too. It's not as simple as one person being right and the other therefore being wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true. If someone doesn't like the fact that 2 people disagree with their viewpoint it's very easy to turn it into a 'ganging up' situation where the actual points being debated are lost.

Yes.....politicians use this trick a lot when they want to dodge an awkward question. They'll turn on the interviewer and say "Stop hectoring me! You're being very rude! I'm not going to be bullied!" and keep that up until the interviewer runs out of time! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    There are shades of grey too. It's not as simple as one person being right and the other therefore being wrong.

No there isn't...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Praxidike wrote: »
    Oh, right, so we're not supposed to have an opinion then?

:p

:D:D:D
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed it a lot when the death penalty is discussed, apparently being against the death penalty means you want to let serial killers wonder the streets and eat peoples babies.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    I've noticed it a lot when the death penalty is discussed, apparently being against the death penalty means you want to let serial killers wonder the streets and eat peoples babies.

Oh, absolutely. And if you suggest that Muslims aren't taking over the country, you're a fully-fledged supporter of Sharia Law who wants to kill everyone in the west.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »

Yes! It usually goes something like this: "Oh, right, so I suppose you think we should give them a pat on the head and a free luxury holiday in a 5-star hotel?" :)
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D

Hey!! Stop grinning and smirking. You are just trying to ridicule our opinion. :mad: Can't you argue your point without trying to belittle us? You've clearly lost the argument.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theselling wrote: »
    No there isn't...

Blatently there are or we'd have no need for differing sentances for convicted criminals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Bloke wrote: »
    Hey!! Stop grinning and smirking. You are just trying to ridicule our opinion. :mad: Can't you argue your point without trying to belittle us? You've clearly lost the argument.

:D

Stop hectoring me! :) I won't be bullied like this! :D I suppose you'd rather I went around with Sellotape over my mouth all the time so I couldn't smile at all eh? :)
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes, that's a favourite on the animal threads.

"I'm not thinking about animals because there are children suffering" as if the two are mutually exclusive and you can't tackle more than one problem at any one time.

Yes, I wonder of people realise how hackneyed that is. But it always managed to deflect the discussion.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst example of the "pretend-I've-just-been-attacked" trick is Jeremy Kyle. If anyone shows the slightest signs of challenging his point of view or disagreeing--however politely and respectfully--he smirks knowingly at the audience, and then snarls something like "Don't you start on me, mate, I haven't even got out of first gear yet." It creates the illusion that the other person has been aggressive and Needs Putting In Their Place, when they haven't actually done anything wrong. Horrible trick!
    Jeremy Kyle stole this trick from Bill O'Reilly - (the Fox News anchor, not the ex-DS poster) FACT!! ;)