Capaldi's accent

Comments

• lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allisonbm2 wrote: »
    Can I join the fangirls, think I would probably qualify as a lunatic s well:)

Of course the more the merrier.:D What are your fangirl credentials?

I've never watched Doctor Who before Peter joined, and I will stop watching it as soon as he regenerates into someone else:cool:.
    :D
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The earlier Doctors always spoke rather posh, but I think that's just the way the BBC was last Century - the Queen's English at all times. It doesn't have to remain that way forever.

I have a theory that the accent of more recent Doctors is influenced by a major companion of his previous incarnation.

Examples:-

In the Big Finish audios Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor did a lot of travelling with Lucie Miller, a girl with a Northern accent played by Sheridan Smith. Along comes the Ninth Doctor, played by Christopher Eccleston, and what do you know, he has a Northern accent.

The Ninth Doctor's main companion was Rose, a girl with a cockney-ish accent. Along comes the Tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant, and what do you know, he has a cockney-ish accent.

The main companion of Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor has been Amy, a girl with a Scottish accent. Along comes the Twelth Doctor, to be played by Peter Capaldi, and what do you know, it looks like he will have a Scottish accent.

Of course, being an American, it all sounds British to me! :D

Before you jump all over me, I have visited London a few times and Belfast once but that is my extent of my travels to the British Isles. My tin ear while it does hear some difference, is not trained to tell the difference between Scottish and Irish, besides that I stayed in the most bombed hotel in Belfast in 1995.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course the more the merrier.:D What are your fangirl credentials?

I've never watched Doctor Who before Peter joined, and I will stop watching it as soon as he regenerates into someone else:cool:.
    :D

But you will post on here about how the 13th Doctor has ruined Doctor Who, of course. That's what fangirls do, apparently. I'm looking forward to it. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you will post on here about how the 13th Doctor has ruined Doctor Who, of course. That's what fangirls do, apparently. I'm looking forward to it. :D

But naturally! I might not even wait until he has regenerated. I won't let such small details get into the way of my lunacy:D.

The positive thing about being a fan girl is that I'm young and pretty:p:D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But naturally! I might not even wait until he has regenerated. I won't let such small details get into the way of my lunacy:D.

The positive thing about being a fan girl is that I'm young and pretty:p:D.

It's amazing how being a fangirl takes years off you. My wrinkles have vanished! :D
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I don't recall calling anyone else's pov silly, did you really have to belittle mine? My post was perfectly polite!

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I said the idea was silly, no that you were silly!:)
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    I was hoping he would, so I'm happy about that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In that case I am becoming the first official fangirl of the 13th Doctor and I'm telling you here and now that he is the best ever and all the previous 12 Doctors were the ones who ruined Doctor Who. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Satmanager wrote: »
    Of course, being an American, it all sounds British to me! :D

Before you jump all over me, I have visited London a few times and Belfast once but that is my extent of my travels to the British Isles. My tin ear while it does hear some difference, is not trained to tell the difference between Scottish and Irish, besides that I stayed in the most bombed hotel in Belfast in 1995.

Don't worry, to most of us there's only like 2 different American accents at most; Southern American and American. Some notice New York being different, but not many.

Same as Canada has only one accent and its ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    In that case I am becoming the first official fangirl of the 13th Doctor and I'm telling you here and now that he is the best ever and all the previous 12 Doctors were the ones who ruined Doctor Who. :p

The 17th one however, god she will have been terrible - third woman who will have played the Doctor and they'll have hired a giraffe, they can't even speak! No accent issues admittedly, but having the assistant say everything the Doctor said like it was flipping Lassie, what a mistake they're going to have made.

Think I lost myself in tenses there...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spence1115 wrote: »
    The 17th one however, god she will have been terrible - third woman who will have played the Doctor and they'll have hired a giraffe, they can't even speak! No accent issues admittedly, but having the assistant say everything the Doctor said like it was flipping Lassie, what a mistake they're going to have made.

Think I lost myself in tenses there...

I must protest against your statement about the giraffe! :mad: It will have been the second giraffe to have played the Doctor. And the first one is generally considered to have done a fairly good job: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6rs4iG4g41qbwh2k.gif :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    There won't be a 17th unless they "forget" he can only regenerate 12 times...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spence1115 wrote: »
    Don't worry, to most of us there's only like 2 different American accents at most; Southern American and American. Some notice New York being different, but not many.

Same as Canada has only one accent and its ridiculous.

Being American I pretty much agree with you until I meet someone from Boston - I was trying to figure out what he was saying. I thought he was speaking a foreign language at first.

But it will be fun to see how Capaldi uses his accent to develop the Doctor. Will he use it to honor Pond or try to cover it up? We will all be watching to see how it develops.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being American I pretty much agree with you until I meet someone from Boston - I was trying to figure out what he was saying. I thought he was speaking a foreign language at first.

As an American, have you ever watched Capaldi's old bandmate Craig Ferguson? Does anyone have a problem with his accent?

One of the stories people repeat in the UK is that Trainspotting was shown in America with subtitles. That can't be true though, surely?
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often wonder if the Who producers regretted having David Tennant speak mockney rather than his distinctive native Scottish. He'd have been just as good au naturel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    The thing is it's all about your perspective. What you consider "no accent at all" I suspect others will consider very much is one.

This is very true. When I lived in the North of England, people used to tell me I had a "southern" accent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is very true. When I lived in the North of England, people used to tell me I had a "southern" accent.

Perhaps that was because you had a southern accent. When I lived down south, people said I had a "northern" one. Perhaps they meant "normal".;):D
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    "He added that Capaldi's Doctor will make things difficult for assistant Clara, saying: "I think the fun story will be – and we have the opportunity here – is this is what regeneration can do to you. He can be very, very different"

I don't care about the accent but the above worries me a bit. Different is fine but don't start making him dislikeable like they did with Colin. That will really annoy me :eek:

That was my concern too. I'd hate to see anything like the Sixth Doctor's debut again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    As an American, have you ever watched Capaldi's old bandmate Craig Ferguson? Does anyone have a problem with his accent?

One of the stories people repeat in the UK is that Trainspotting was shown in America with subtitles. That can't be true though, surely?

Apparently I don't get out much as I have never watched Craig Ferguson or Trainspotting. Now I am going to have to watch Craig Ferguson just to listen to him.

I did watch the Fires of Pompaii again just to listen to Capaldi and I had no problems with his accent. Same with Amy Pond's accent, never had a problem with it.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I thought I was Capaldi's only fangirl! :eek:

I might have to fight you for the title. :p:D

Current membership of Peter Capaldi fangirls club ds

Lach Doch Mal
    GrannyMcSmith
    Noseylouie

Please excuse misspellings and android jump!

Our Peter is great..(phwor, but that appears sexist..meh)
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    I often wonder if the Who producers regretted having David Tennant speak mockney rather than his distinctive native Scottish. He'd have been just as good au naturel.

RTD said he didn't want The Doctor "touring the regions", but he was doing that anyway. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »

Lach Doch Mal
    GrannyMcSmith
    Noseylouie

And me! Don't tell me I've been booted out already and papering the spare room with his pictures was in vain :cry:
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Apparently I don't get out much as I have never watched Craig Ferguson or Trainspotting. Now I am going to have to watch Craig Ferguson just to listen to him.

I did watch the Fires of Pompaii again just to listen to Capaldi and I had no problems with his accent. Same with Amy Pond's accent, never had a problem with it.

I wonder if he "toned" down his accent for that episode as in Torchwood Children of the Earth, he seemed to have astronger accent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »

Lach Doch Mal
    GrannyMcSmith
    Noseylouie
    Allisonbm2

allisonbm2 wrote: »
    And me! Don't tell me I've been booted out already and papering the spare room with his pictures was in vain :cry:

Of course not, you just overlooked it in the original post:D.
    I like your way of thinking, you may the most crazy fangirl yet;)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

An appropriate one to start with.