[Torchwood: Miracle Day] 'The Blood Line' - BBC1 9PM (UK Pace)

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikaRimmer wrote: »
    I'm convinced Esther faked her death to get away from the CIA since she would have been arrested. Esther should be waiting for them back in the Wales. :)
    :confused: Is the Wales different from Wales? :D
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am actually wondering if having Rex as immortal will make the show pointless as Jack was unique which was the selling point of the show .

Also there is no chance of Torchwood going back to how it was because in theory they ( the writers) could just write Jack and anything to do with the original show out now they have a American in a lead role . It will be interesting to see where they go from here .

The Dr is going to have a major hissy fit as well; as he has always stated what happened to Jack was wrong now he has two of em lol
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say it seemed like a poor US drama until episode 7, and then it seemed alot more like Torchwood.
    Since welsh Torchwood is gone (with Starz being the majority rights holder), I didn't expect more like season 1/2, but was very very poor to start with. I wasn't happy with the changes but could still see the potential to make Torchwood better. I am undecided as to whether that happened, I know of many fans who switched off around episode 3/4 and I was very nearly one of them.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Oswald's last line 'Run faster!' Nice ambiguity between whether he was still talking about Suzy or Gwen and Jack's escape. Also if Jilly hadn't made it, it implied that she also should have run faster :eek: I was glad he didn't have a sudden about-face at the end and start begging for forgiveness, that would have ruined the character for me. It was still his desire to die that drove him, as well as I think he didn't mind helping Gwen escape at the end because he gained a bit of admiration for her - 'You're magnificent.' Bill Pullman did very well.

Bill Pullman has been the star of the show, what an amazingly creepy yet compelling character he created. Certainly would say his storyline through the series was the best written and best played out. I loved that there was no redemption for him at the end.
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    yes children of earth was better, but that was pretty much the best thing on TV the whole last decade. I do get a sense some people have set the bar a bit too high here.

No i didn,t set the bar too high i watched it didnt like it i did say it was my opinion, so ill change what i said i thought all the other torchwood was better than this

is that ok with you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Maybe Rex is only temporarily immortal? After all he was only transfused with Jacks blood - doesn't mean he starts producing it himself! Although that may be too factual for Torchwood :D
    Jane Espenson said on Twitter that it was The Blessing that made Rex immortal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I am actually wondering if having Rex as immortal will make the show pointless as Jack was unique which was the selling point of the show .

Also there is no chance of Torchwood going back to how it was because in theory they ( the writers) could just write Jack and anything to do with the original show out now they have a American in a lead role . It will be interesting to see where they go from here .

The Dr is going to have a major hissy fit as well; as he has always stated what happened to Jack was wrong now he has two of em lol

Maybe Rex can be the Face of Boe instead of Jack! That'd be a good twist :p
  • MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    :confused: Is the Wales different from Wales? :D

Aha, nicely spotted, I went to type the UK, but went with the proper country of origin because I'm biased like that and it seems I left the "the" there....opps...
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this and voted excellent. Thought the blood transfusion was nifty and the best line of whole series "How much bloody lipstick cab you wear".

Pretty much a given Jack was coming back, bit shocked about Rex but what a great set-up for next year? Really hope so. I've been a fan since the beginning, was a little dubious of this series at the start but overall it's been a fantastic ride and I thought it was wrapped up nicely.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dazzinator wrote: »
    Jane Espenson said on Twitter that it was The Blessing that made Rex immortal

But Esther was right there next to the Blessing too and she was shot before they changed it back. Why wasn't she made immortal too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scumcat wrote: »
    No i didn,t set the bar too high i watched it didnt like it i did say it was my opinion, so ill change what i said i thought all the other torchwood was better than this

is that ok with you?

defensive much? :confused:

i made my point about "some people" setting the bar too high, made no reference to you not being entitled to dislike it. No need to make some a passive-aggressive response to a perfectly reasonable post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Can't believe Esther died... They always kill my favourites, should have seen that coming.:( Great series overall though, I have nothing to watch on Thursdays now.
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Esther was right there next to the Blessing too and she was shot before they changed it back. Why wasn't she made immortal too?

Esther didn't put in blood like Jack and Rex. It was those two who were the polar opposites and became/returned to being immortal.
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also must add (as above) the Bill Pullman has totally owned this, truly chilling to the end.
    Forum Member
    defensive much? :confused:

i made my point about "some people" setting the bar too high, made no reference to you not being entitled to dislike it. No need to make some a passive-aggressive response to a perfectly reasonable post.

You put what i said as a quote how else am i suppose to take it?
  • Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This. Even if they pull a 'faked death' titbit next season - surely 1) most of the CIA who were tasked in capturing her died in that explosion and or 2) her services to saving humanity rendered such charges void?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You put what i said as a quote how else am i suppose to take it?

as someone commenting that while this wasn't as good as Children of Earth, Children of Earth was remarkable television and some people as a result set the bar too high. You yourself referenced it not being as good as Children of Earth, which made it a valid time to introduce this notion.

There was no criticism of you made whatsoever, your response was defensive in the extreme. Let's leave it there though, I don't want to get in to some sort of personal row on such a trivial point.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »

That's what I think too.
  • amandalay69amandalay69 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    mmm... what to say?
    For the first time I really enjoyed an episode of this series (even Gwen, who I'd gladly whack round the head with a cricket bat- and I've been thinking that since 2006- her comic aside as Rex came back to life was priceless)... but did I really have to have wasted weeks of my life to get to this conclusion? True, it got better 5/6 episodes in, but it dragged so much earlier on that I kept falling asleep (had to iPlayer)!! Truly this could have been made punchier with fewer episodes- a good film could have done this in 2/3 hours.
    I did, however (entertainment wise) enjoy this last one, even if I had to suspend my disbelief so much that it's still floating about somewhere on the ceiling- rubbish science and so on and worse than that I wasted abuot a month at the beginning on really dull storylines and almost inconsequential characters.
    I won't say it was redeemed totally by the last few eps, but it did get better. I'm being kind here. But I did like the cheesiness of ep 10.
    Forum Member
    as someone commenting that while this wasn't as good as Children of Earth, Children of Earth was remarkable television and some people as a result set the bar too high. You yourself referenced it not being as good as Children of Earth, which made it a valid time to introduce this notion.

There was no criticism of you made whatsoever, your response was defensive in the extreme. Let's leave it there though, I don't want to get in to some sort of personal row on such a trivial point.

i agree
    as long as you agree that people are allowed an opinion that differs from your own.

stetson are cool but i think this torchwood wasn't
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Thoroughly enjoyed the final episode and a good way to round off the series.

I like that they have left it open enough to do another series should Davies wish to do so.

I must say though that I spotted the 'twist' with Rex being immortal - but am happy in the way they did it.

Shame they killed Esther off as I finally warmed to her much like I did with Rex.

Overall I'd give the series an 8/10. It started slowly, and there felt like there was lots of filler. But the last few episodes and one in the middle were great and by the end of the series it really did feel like I was watching Torchwood even if it did take a little while to get there.
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the miracle runs through the centre of the earth, wouldn't it be on the floor?

:eek::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stetson are cool but i think this torchwood wasn't

for me stetson's are cool but Torchwood was still pretty good too. ;) My main issue is with the padding. I don't quite go along with the notion it could have been five episodes long, but I think probably 8 episodes would have been do-able.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved this and voted excellent. Thought the blood transfusion was nifty and the best line of whole series "How much bloody lipstick cab you wear".

Pretty much a given Jack was coming back, bit shocked about Rex but what a great set-up for next year? Really hope so. I've been a fan since the beginning, was a little dubious of this series at the start but overall it's been a fantastic ride and I thought it was wrapped up nicely.

Have to agree, in the middle of a fight, what a great line to come out with, it was so random! :D
  • temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am one of those people that is disappointed as did base my expectations upon the COE bar.

This could have easily rivalled COE though. RTD has proven himself to be an extremely talented writer. The basic concept was utterly intruiging. There was a bigger budget.

In my opinion this failed due to being over 10 hours. There was simply not enough story and therfore convaluted side plots were introduced rather lazily and left dangling whilst moving on to the next bit of padding.

I was devastated when Owen, Tosh and Ianto were killed. Yet I really was not fussed over Esther.

If I was to compare this against its sci-fi peers (The Event, Flashforward) I rate it as Mediocre. Yet if I compare it against its previous glory then unfortunately I would be generous to rate it poor.

Yet I am very pleased the overall reaction has been positive by the rest of you. I would like it to come back and impress me.