Why doesn't Amy have a mobile phone?

alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
Forum Member
All his other past companions have had mobile phones, and he normally upgrades them with his screwdriver so that they will work anywhere, eveywhere, anywhen...??

I've not seen her with one yet anyway....

Comments

• chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoo-bloody-ray for that!
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Because it's not yet been necessary for the plot.

The previous companions have had families to keep in touch with, generally to provide an emotional backbone to the story, or otherwise need to be able to contact someone else in the group.

The only person Amy might want to contact would be Rory, and since she's run off with another man in the middle of the night, she's not likely to want to do that.

(The in-story reason is that she left in just her nightie...)
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alienpanda wrote: »
    All his other past companions have had mobile phones
    Except every companion prior to Rose.
    , and he normally upgrades them with his screwdriver so that they will work anywhere, eveywhere, anywhen...??

I've not seen her with one yet anyway....

Who does she need to call? Not everyone has a mobile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Actually its because she left in her nightie and hasn't been back since.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I wonder if in future episodes, if Rory isn't with Amy and the Doctor, if Amy will get a "Superphone" (as mentioned, if Rory is with them, she won't need it).
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Its probably done on purpose. It seems clear that Amy as a companion does not have the same connections on Earth as Rose, Martha, Donna had. She's even questioning her connection to Rory.

I like it because it means she is involved with adventures without the need for sentimental scenes of calling home.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I hope they forget about that idea. I don't like the way they can just phone home from any time and any place. Takes away the feeling of the spirit of adventure. There's also more tragedy in a situation where someone wants to make contact with loved ones in a desperate situation but can't, as opposed to a blubby "bye mum, sorry I ran away" type weep fest.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I hope they forget about that idea. I don't like the way they can just phone home from any time and any place. Takes away the feeling of the spirit of adventure. There's also more tragedy in a situation where someone wants to make contact with loved ones in a desperate situation but can't, as opposed to a blubby "bye mum, sorry I ran away" type weep fest.

I think it was a good take on things for modern DW. It made sense because we live in a world of mobile phones. However, its been done and the novelty has worn off for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    And, if she ever needs to phone Rory, the TARDISline can probably do it.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Well Amy seemed to grasp the whole time travel aspect far more quickly than the last few companions. She hasn't really gone missing unless she never returns to the time that she left with The Doctor after all, so no need to phone people up and she doesn't seem to have any family to miss. Well apart from her older sister or was it aunt? I can't remember who she was living with in the first episode. Something suggests that how she ended up like that could be important. Either that or I wasn't paying attention when it was explained in the first episode. It does seem odd that a little girl appeared to be in a house all by herself.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Well Amy seemed to grasp the whole time travel aspect far more quickly than the last few companions. She hasn't really gone missing unless she never returns to the time that she left with The Doctor after all, so no need to phone people up and she doesn't seem to have any family to miss. Well apart from her older sister or was it aunt? I can't remember who she was living with in the first episode. Something suggests that how she ended up like that could be important. Either that or I wasn't paying attention when it was explained in the first episode. It does seem odd that a little girl appeared to be in a house all by herself.
    She was living with her aunt. The Doctor asked where she was, and little Amelia said she'd gone out. He asked 'and left you all by yourself?' but then got distracted before she could answer.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    She was living with her aunt. The Doctor asked where she was, and little Amelia said she'd gone out. He asked 'and left you all by yourself?' but then got distracted before she could answer.

Thanks. That does seem rather odd. I don't remember her being mentioned by the grown up Amy when The Doctor returned to the house later on either. She didn't appear to be living there on the night that Amy left as well. Very odd.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well she is traveling around in a phonebox, it has got a phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the outfit she had on this week had pockets :)