Amy Pond: A cross between Rose and Donna?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it just Amy's crack is the most important thing to sort out? Not Amy herself?

Oh, maybe.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't it just Amy's crack is the most important thing to sort out? Not Amy herself?

Amy's crack is related and linked to Amy though. Whatever actions Amy takes effects her crack.
  • poppycodpoppycod Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone agree?

sounds like a hideous hybrid to me! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, very much her own character-and far better than either Rose or Donna.

too true. :)
  • ListedBuzzListedBuzz Posts: 9,042
    Forum Member
    Nope, very much her own character-and far better than either Rose or Donna.

Donna was better, followed by Amy, then Rose, then Martha IMO ... New Who obviously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I see nothing of Donna in her, Rose perhaps, she is like a sulking child , all pouty, just like Rose, but Donna was a real woman, and she did not fancy the Doctor, she was his mate, the Doctor/Donna will never be bettered.
    Shush. Donna was a one-dimensional caricature with two settings... mouthy and blubby (the latter crowbarred in at every opportunity to remind everyone that Tate is a 'serious' actress). She had none of the 'real' feeling of Rose, Martha, Amy, even Micky, cos she was written so forced, it was all about how she was so different.. essentially cos she said things like 'oi spaceman' and didn't fancy the Doc'.

In truth, Catherine Tate is a very good actress. But that doesn't remotely alter the fact that Donna was an awful, awful, awful, awful, awful character. And we're well rid of her.
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 5,390
    Forum Member
    I like Amy, but I see little of either character in her.

To be honest, I think it'll take a lot to top Donna in my book. Still miss her *sniffles* :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't it just Amy's crack is the most important thing to sort out?
    No, I ain't gonna say it. It's just too easy. And certainly not suitable for a family message board.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shush. Donna was a one-dimensional caricature with two settings... mouthy and blubby (the latter crowbarred in at every opportunity to remind everyone that Tate is a 'serious' actress). She had none of the 'real' feeling of Rose, Martha, Amy, even Micky, cos she was written so forced, it was all about how she was so different.. essentially cos she said things like 'oi spaceman' and didn't fancy the Doc'.

In truth, Catherine Tate is a very good actress. But that doesn't remotely alter the fact that Donna was an awful, awful, awful, awful, awful character. And we're well rid of her.

POST OF THE THREAD so far.
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycod wrote: »
    POST OF THE THREAD so far.

adds nothing to the thread
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I ain't gonna say it. It's just too easy. And certainly not suitable for a family message board.:D

I bet a lot of people reading the thread were thinking it. I know I was :D
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I couldn't find a better way of saying it. And it is Amy's now so....

(Also fun keeping up the innuendo :p:D)
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To use a message board phrase I've never used before: THAT^^^^

Amy, after just five episodes, is already infinitely more interesting, likeable, sexy, awkward and more importanty, REAL than Donna could ever have been.
  • miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she's particularly like either of them! She seems much more independent and a bit nuts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and much more real than the "cartoon with a heart" that was Donaaaahhhh.
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do you have to continue to be so unpleasant?:(
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When posters tell of their valid and understandable reasons why they aren't warming to Amy they are told in no uncertain terms that they are wrong and the character is being perfectly written and acted, yet Rose, Donna et al get dismissed with insults such as 'thick', 'chav', 'cartoon with a heart' etc etc etc....

Yet more evidence of the double standards and hypocrisy from the usual suspects....
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a real shame, you couldn't take to her. Well we can't all like the same things, can we. It's great that you are enjoying the new companion then:).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

is criticising a fictional character "being unpleasant"?

I suggest you stay away from the literary criticism section of your library - they say some terrible things about eopnymous, tragic, Shakespearean characters! :D
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's so unpleasant about that comment? "cartoon with a heart" seems a fair enough description of Donna to me, she was, after all, one big caricature.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a good few similarities but i think these are very deliberate.

For example a writer of moffats quality does not have a "run away bride" companion so soon after Catherine Tates character by mistake.

The Similarity of the ending of Flesh and Stone, and the scene where rose almost falls into the void, followed by a very downbeat beach scene is not a coincidence.

There are probably more but i haven't noticed.

Its almost like time is going crazy and the doctors past is sporadically re occuring. Or Moffat is trying to do some kind of self referential post modern meta narrative. I hope the latter i suspect the former.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Amy has three characteristics of the past three new who companions:

Rose - childish
    Martha - unrequited love
    Donna - ginger, mouthy

Amy = RoseMarthaDonna = Romana

Coincidence?

Yeah, of course it's a coincidence.:p
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    is criticising a fictional character "being unpleasant"?

I suggest you stay away from the literary criticism section of your library - they say some terrible things about eopnymous, tragic, Shakespearean characters! :D

Its just the way you do it.

Please learn the phrases "In my opinion" or "for me..." or "the way I see it" or any permutation of the such.

Stating your own minority opinion as if it was fact, then saying stuff, as you are want to do like "fandom agrees" "All right thinking Doctor Who fans think the same way" "MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WILL BE TURNED OFF BY CATHERINE TATE!" (:D) is what many people find unpleasant.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    ndf100 wrote: »
    Amy has three characteristics of the past three new who companions:

Rose - childish
    Martha - unrequited love
    Donna - ginger, mouthy

Amy = RoseMarthaDonna = Romana

Coincidence?

Yeah, of course it's a coincidence.:p

Jack-Horny
    Donna-Wedding