Workmate told a lie to get off work for the day

Comments

• Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The barmaid could get in trouble with the bank she works at, customer confidentiality and all that.

The OP maybe you should go to the bank manager while you are at it and tell him one of his staff is breaking rules of confidentiality .
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A workmate of mine phoned in yesterday and said he wouldn't be in work, as he had a appointment with the bank manager. A barmaid at my local pub also works in the bank that he goes to.

Went to pub last night, and I asked had my mate been in, she said yes, but he was only drawing cash out, and that no appointment with bank manager. She said he was only in there for about 5minutes.

Should I tell my boss what the barmaid told me.

It's actually nothing to do with you, it was his choice yes it was wrong but if he does get caught out then it's his problem. What would be the purpose of you telling your boss? What do you want to achieve
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the first time he's done this, He's done it 3 times this month already

If that's the case it's down to his line manager to address attendance and not you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you think I'm a bad guy. OK let me put it this way, if you were a Manager of a company, would you like to be imformed of your staffs absence if they were swinging the lead.

As the chap I know, I think he did, because he'd do anything for a day off. As he does the work yet he whinges about it, as he doesn't care

Any good manager will be aware of his attendance and would not need you to put in you two pence worth

Sounds to me like you simply don't like the guy and looking for a way to drop him in it.

Why not just et on with your own job and let his manager, manage him after all that's what he is paid for
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    How could someone with even a scintilla of common sense actually equate witnessing a serious attack with someone nosing about in someone else's private business? This is only my opinion, and not to be taken as gospel, but I fear your contributions to this thread may have erred on the side of totally useless. :cool:

For the record, I think the OP should leave well alone. If the guy's actions actually DO cause trouble for the company at any stage, it will become sufficiently obvious for his supervisor to notice and deal with it, rather than Goody Two-Shoes snitching about it first.

If some posters disagree with Mo's advice on here fair enough and you're entitled to say so but intimating that they are stupid isn't acceptable forum behaviour. The poster clearly isn't saying they are comparable things but is using the situation to illustrate a point. I fear for you helpfulness on Advice if you cannot see that.

My understanding is that Mo is askance that posters on here are being so rude and unhelpful to the OP on what is an advice forum and I tend to agree. There's perfectly good and reasonable reasons to advise informing an employer of abuse of working rules as that kind of abuse can be costly to an employer and can have an ultimately detrimental effect on all of the employees.

Having said that in this situation I fear we do not have all the relevant information to really advise properly.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    My understanding is that Mo is askance that posters on here are being so rude and unhelpful to the OP on what is an advice forum and I tend to agree.

I would say that you are mistaken...Mo is 'askance' to posters offering one sided advice. I think it is more telling that noone has come on here and given contrary advice to 'leave well alone!'. Mo own advice was pretty bland and non helpful!
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A workmate of mine phoned in yesterday and said he wouldn't be in work, as he had a appointment with the bank manager. A barmaid at my local pub also works in the bank that he goes to.

Went to pub last night, and I asked had my mate been in, she said yes, but he was only drawing cash out, and that no appointment with bank manager. She said he was only in there for about 5minutes.

I'd be more inclined to report your barmaid friend to the bank for being so indiscreet about their customers' business.
  • Victorian FoxVictorian Fox Posts: 3,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be more inclined to report your barmaid friend to the bank for being so indiscreet about their customers' business.

She was quite open, so maybe she's allowed to comment on her customers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or maybe she just assumes that they won't get to know. Plenty of folks have come unstuck by being indiscreet on the internet about their employers and related stuff. Same principle. Although it is not likely that they would find out.

Although if you dob your workmate in and he finds out where you got the info from, well ...
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I advise you to phone her manager and find out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She most certainely is not .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be absolutely livid if I found out that my business at the bank was getting gossiped about in the bloody pub. And I would certainly be going to the Bank Manager with it.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just stay out of it, its hassle i'm sure you don't need.
  • thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most people tell lies to get a day off work & why not.

Thing is some people are so sad they live to work,not work to live.
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it bothers you so much you have to make a forum thread about it. Mind your own business.His job, his problem. Who hasn't told a white lie to get a day off work ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are other banks in the country I presume ? How do you know that he is not a customer in several banks ?
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    She most certainely is not .

Absolutely - more than 40 times!
  • WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    OP - do what you think is right. I find it amazing that people come on here saying "Mind your own business" but yet are clearly logged in to an advice forum themselves where the idea is to get involved to help other people with problems.

I said "mind your own business"...that was my advice to the OP - seeing as this is an advice forum.
    Which part of that do you fail to grasp?
    You say "do what you think is right" - wow watch you don't slip off that fence.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No just keep out of it, not really any of your business.

As you have said it has happend 3/4 times recently your boss will probably be speeking to him.
  • ArcticJayHArcticJayH Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No just keep out of it, not really any of your business.

This.

No one likes a grass.
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh boo hoo. "Should I tell?". I hate people like you. Absolute cretins nosying in everyone elses business, hardly a "friend". Perhaps he had private matters to deal with? :rolleyes:
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah report your mate for it then phone the bank and tell the bank manager that his staff discuss other people's banking business with other customers...You might aswell get them both sacked..:rolleyes:
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cruachan wrote: »
    I'll bet that the barmaid has broken rules of confidentiality written into her contract with the bank.

And, no, you shouldn't tell your boss.

Yep the bank clerk she sure has broken confidential rules of the bank.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    OP - do what you think is right. I find it amazing that people come on here saying "Mind your own business" but yet are clearly logged in to an advice forum themselves where the idea is to get involved to help other people with problems.

But that is advice. 'Mind your own business' is advice. You may not like it, but that is what it is. :)
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    OP - no one likes a grass and if it ever comes out that you did grass up your "mate" then you will be the pariah at work and do you really want that? Especially if you grassing the guy up results in him losing his job. It won't be him that they will be p***ed with it will be you as they will be constantly watching their backs just in case you start grassing them up.