Solid reviews for ‘In The Forest of the Night’

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »

When Moffat allowed that god awful line "put me down I hate you". in Nightmare in Silver you would think anymore child based stories would learn lessons from that.
    3 episodes left and that was the very best they could offer?

I agree with some of what you're saying but it needs to be pointed out: Doctor Who does have a script editor. It's not all on Moffat. Ultimately he commissions scripts and decides what they are going to use but the minutiae of every line of dialogue he has to ultimately delegate to the script editor and trust them. He is busy enough without taking personal responsibility for editing every script.

All that Moffat will do is:

Commission a script, based on the proposal and his dialogue with the script writer.

Read the script(s) that get sent and offer 'notes' (constructive feedback) on how to improve it in a redraft.

Occasionally he will have to 'rescue' a script by directly performing rewrites of parts of it. But that is something he ideally wants to avoid. They will do their best to get a workable script out of the writer first.

But he isn't responsible for every line of a script. It's the script editor's job to work with the writer and get them right and he can't do her job as well as his own.

I agree with the gist of a lot of what you're saying, but Moffat isn't responsible for bad dialogue in a script he hasn't written.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So not only are advance reviews untrustworthy, post airing ones undeniably are too.

All I'm gonna say is this Danny thing better have the best payoff ever, because everything about the character and performance is utterly dreadful and is sapping up a hell of a lot of screen time.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    So not only are advance reviews untrustworthy, post airing ones undeniably are too.
    All I'm gonna say is this Danny thing better have the best payoff ever, because everything about the character and performance is utterly dreadful and is sapping up a hell of a lot of screen time.

Reviews, either posted before or after the episode has aired are totally subjective. Whether or not you agree with the reviewer is a matter of your subjective opinion too - it doesn't make the reviews themselves untrustworthy. One person's opinion is just as valid as another's, regardless of how dopey that opinion may seem.

I totally agree though, with your comments on Danny. I really don't get all the Danny Pink hate - he's a bit dull, yes, but I don't think he's worth getting so worked up about - but there really has to be a good resolution to all this or we will indeed have wasted an awful lot of screen time on a not terribly interesting romance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    1. All reviews are subjective and are generally bland to make sure they do not upset any particular section of their readership. Mostly they will be positive about well liked shows and deride anything with Danny Dyer in it as that goes with the general feeling of the populace.

2. Magazines like SFX are partly dependant on the goodwill of the production teams of such shows like Dr Who. They need access and interviews, exclusives and prizes. It's a symbiotic relationship with the magazines wanting the content and the shows wanting the publicity. They will never totally rubbish anything produced by them, no matter how bad (3/5 is the worst anything Dr Who has ever got I believe). Time also makes them quite friendly with showrunners and writers so a certain personal bias (mostly sub-consciously) always sinks in overtime. SFX have been so far up the Dr Who's production teams backside since day one and I stopped reading it years ago.
  • Options
    smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So good reviews for this episode can only be part of a deeper agenda? I liked this episode so am I saying that for any other reason that....I liked it?! Look at the poll for this episode. Over half the votes are for average or above. Get over it.