Cancelled /Renew Shows & Pick-ups

Comments

• MaccaMacca Posts: 18,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some have commented that HBO tend to cancel "under performing" shows after 2 seasons!
    They cancelled 'Hello Ladies' the show with Stephen Merchant after one season, but at least they have just released 'Hello Ladies-The Movie' to wrap things up.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some have commented that HBO tend to cancel "under performing" shows after 2 seasons!

Somewhat true. Cancelled Enlightened and How To Make It In America after 2 seasons. Bored to Death and Hung i think managed to last at least 3. All great shows which i enjoyed immensely. The finale of Enlightened was fantastic. Gutted that ended.

I wonder if Silicon Valley will last beyond season 2.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wowboy wrote: »
    I was reading that with the CW it's so close that one tenth of a rating drop could be the difference between cancellation and renewal.

Is it confirmed that 3rd season of beauty and the beast is the final season I know it's a shortened run.

Sounds about right. With the CW, it's like this...

0.3 or under (unless your BatB)- See you later, pull it midway through or something.
    0.4- Very likely cancelled
    0.5- On the bubble. Depends how everything else does
    0.6- Safe as houses
    0.7/0.8- Great performer
    0.9+ Top performer.

Hence why the 100 fans reactions are so different from when it gets a 0.5 and 0.6. When it got a 0.6 last week, there were major celebrations on forums. Whereas when it was at 0.5, there were people saying, "Bye The 100"
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »

I thought so, didn't really like it.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    But Constantine not confirmed as cancelled yet.I guess NBC are just waiting to see what happens before deciding if it's got a future or not!
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Sounds about right. With the CW, it's like this...

0.3 or under (unless your BatB)- See you later, pull it midway through or something.
    0.4- Very likely cancelled
    0.5- On the bubble. Depends how everything else does
    0.6- Safe as houses
    0.7/0.8- Great performer
    0.9+ Top performer.

Hence why the 100 fans reactions are so different from when it gets a 0.5 and 0.6. When it got a 0.6 last week, there were major celebrations on forums. Whereas when it was at 0.5, there were people saying, "Bye The 100"
    I'm not convinced this holds true anymore. The models at work at The CW have changed considerably in recent years. I'm not sure the renewal of Beauty and the Beast is the anomaly that many seem to feel it is but rather a statement that the way The CW is making its renewal decisions has changed.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooops wrong thread
    Delete
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    But Constantine not confirmed as cancelled yet.I guess NBC are just waiting to see what happens before deciding if it's got a future or not!

Not getting a back nine on a network like NBC is as good as dead unfortunately.

That said, if it's cheap to produce it might get a second season as a mid-season replacement but I doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All depends how well the midseason shows do. If they rate better, then Constantine is gone. I think it will be this year's Dracula, whose fate was dragged out till may.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although Dracula's first season was only ever supposed to be 10 episodes. The plan was that NBC would turn that Friday 10PM slot into a low cost limited run co-production slot with Dracula, Crossbones and Hannibal sharing it across the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Although Dracula's first season was only ever supposed to be 10 episodes. The plan was that NBC would turn that Friday 10PM slot into a low cost limited run co-production slot with Dracula, Crossbones and Hannibal sharing it across the year.

I know. But NBC did drag out the renewal for Dracula for a long time. Which is why I reckon Constantine may be this year's Dracula in that respect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    HBO have a different metric for deciding what to keep. They'll happily sustain ratings losers so long as they generate buzz and awards attention. Girls for example poorly rated but it'll keep going because it grabs attention and potentially draws people into subscribing to HBO.

If you look at the numbers for Girls it does poorly on the première showings, but does very well on timeshift, pushing it up to respectable viewers. Combine that with copious amounts of controversy and HBO have a winner...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look at the numbers for Girls it does poorly on the première showings, but does very well on timeshift, pushing it up to respectable viewers. Combine that with copious amounts of controversy and HBO have a winner...

Girls doesn't do poorly. It does averag-ish. It isn't hitting Game of thrones ratings but it's doing well. It's ratings are treble what Getting on, The Comeback, Looking and Enlightened all earn/earned.

Apart from sex and the city and Curb, HBO do struggle with high comedy show ratings. Drama has always been much better for them.
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly cannot believe nobody in UK has picked up agent carter. I mean channel 4 decided not too, and they are so stupid they have an 8 week break to fill now. Well maybe 4/5 including the delay.

The show looks amazing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wowboy wrote: »
    Honestly cannot believe nobody in UK has picked up agent carter. I mean channel 4 decided not too, and they are so stupid they have an 8 week break to fill now. Well maybe 4/5 including the delay.

The show looks amazing!
    Given how badly Agents of SHIELD is doing both in the US and the UK I can't say I'm surprised nobody has jumped on Agent Carter just yet. And I'm certainly not surprised Channel 4 passed on it. I'm not convinced Agents of SHIELD will return to its current Channel 4 slot after it takes a break (presumably over Christmas/New Year) because its numbers are awful. In general though I think broadcasters will wait to see how Agent Carter goes down in the US.

Personally I'm quite looking forward to it. It looks like a lot of fun and much better than SHIELD ever did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am eager for Agent carter too. Hope it's better than SHIELD, which i dropped early season 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    The remaining episodes of Selfie are being shown on Hulu, which is great because I actually enjoyed that show:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matador has been cancelled after one season. The El Rey network previously gave the show a second season before airing but have changed their mind.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SyFy UK has picked up Season 3 of Continuum. Set to be premiered January 2015.

It may well be the last season since there's no news about it being renewed for Season 4.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Perhaps they left it this long so the rights were cheap enough to make it viable?

But i do agree about it being the last season - i think if it was being renewed, we'd have heard by now.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Is Agents Of SHIELD really doing that badly in the US? As that I thought it was doing quite well as I've been loving the 2nd season.Its amazing how different a show can become in a year!

A lot of people in this thread seem to assume that Constantine is already dead but reports seem to say that it's still alive and NBC have yet to make a decision.I read that it's been getting the same ratings as Hannibal which managed to get a 2nd season on NBC in the same time slot!
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Is Agents Of SHIELD really doing that badly in the US? As that I thought it was doing quite well as I've been loving the 2nd season.Its amazing how different a show can become in a year!

A lot of people in this thread seem to assume that Constantine is already dead but reports seem to say that it's still alive and NBC have yet to make a decision.I read that it's been getting the same ratings as Hannibal which managed to get a 2nd season on NBC in the same time slot!

For a show with Marvel in the title, it isn't doing very well. It's doing well enough to get another two seasons, but I could quite see it being cancelled or moved to Fridays as soon as it hits syndication numbers. It spent too long trying to be an American Doctor Who and improved a lot more when it stopped trying to be funny and started going fully serialised. The trouble is at that point (about 16 episodes in), it had already lost most of the audience...

Hannibal is an international co-production with AXN, that has sold well internationally. It's viable because NBC aren't baring the full cost, if they were (like they are with Constantine) it probably wouldn't have been renewed...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How was SHIELD trying to be like an American doctor who?
    Forum Member
    How was SHIELD trying to be like an American doctor who?

I meant in the sense that it was trying to juggle being funny and serious in equal measure, the kind of tone Doctor Who is good at, but MAoS struggled with...