The Next Doctor Who Crossover?

Callum_Preciou2Callum_Preciou2 Posts: 144
Forum Member
My idea is that the next crossover will be: The Avengers. They are the comic book superhero team created by Stan Lee, but now. The Doctor teams up with the Earth's Mightest Heroes from Christmas 2015 on your TV screen.

Since the 'Doctor Who/Sherlock' was rejected by Steven Moffat earlier this autumn. We can have a 'Doctor Who/The Avengers' crossover instead for the first time ever since the crossover with EastEnders back in 1993.

Post your reactions of my idea about the new DW crossover for next Christmas.

Comments

• TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depresses me that there's probably quite a significant crossover audience. I guess because they're both fantasy tales (in the sense of imagining impossible things, not in the sense of fairies).
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Awww .... I thought you meant the PROPER Avengers.

I am sure they can find actors who loos like Steed and Emma Peel did back in the sxities.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My idea is that the next crossover will be: The Avengers. They are the comic book superhero team created by Stan Lee.

You might want to do some research on that. Start by Googling 'Stan Lee vs Jack Kirby' and 'Stan Lee vs Steve Ditko', the real creators of most of the classic Marvel heroes.

The crossover idea is, of course, inane.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    Awww .... I thought you meant the PROPER Avengers.

I am sure they can find actors who loos like Steed and Emma Peel did back in the sxities.

How about Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman?
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    The crossover idea is, of course, inane.

i.e. it's exactly the level of stuff that goes into superhero movies?
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    You might want to do some research on that. Start by Googling 'Stan Lee vs Jack Kirby' and 'Stan Lee vs Steve Ditko', the real creators of most of the classic Marvel heroes.
    Indeed so, Stan Lee as writer and Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko as artists.
    All equally responsible for the iconography of the original Marvel Universe.
    :)
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Did you have to remind me about one of the worst films I have ever seen?!
    :o
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    and Emma Peel did back in the sxities.

How about her or her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I thought we already had the next Dr Who crossover? Wasn't last Saturday's episode a crossover with 'In the Midnight Garden'? The level of logic and depth of story seemed about right for CBeebies, along with the acting ability.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    ?

Nah ... I wasn't keen on that movie.

There was a scene where Steed's bowler hat was crushed, and he said in a surly peevish voice 'You'll pay for that.'
    Sorry, i can never imagine MacNee's John Steed saying that - he would be a lot more witty.
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    We already got Capt Jack, what other super heroes compare..................................
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Koquillion wrote: »

Well it is to do with the Doctor but why does it look so Strange
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is to do with the Doctor but why does it look so Strange

I don't know love.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My idea is that the next crossover will be: The Avengers. They are the comic book superhero team created by Stan Lee, but now. The Doctor teams up with the Earth's Mightest Heroes from Christmas 2015 on your TV screen.

Since the 'Doctor Who/Sherlock' was rejected by Steven Moffat earlier this autumn. We can have a 'Doctor Who/The Avengers' crossover instead for the first time ever since the crossover with EastEnders back in 1993.

Post your reactions of my idea about the new DW crossover for next Christmas.

What a ghastly idea. Crossovers are rarely any good, and Doctor Who should never mix with comic book superhero teams...
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    What a ghastly idea. Crossovers are rarely any good, and Doctor Who should never mix with comic book superhero teams...

How about The Doctor Who comic which has already had crossovers.

I have The Doctor Who-Star Trek crossover and it's very good IMO
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about The Doctor Who comic which has already had crossovers.

I have The Doctor Who-Star Trek crossover and it's very good IMO

That's kind of different - a comic strip version of Doctor Who isn't the same as the TV version. And the OP was talking about on screen, on TV.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor who had a long running comic published by marvel uk (an old British outpost of the American company.)

Marvel uk started with reprints of us material, before it started pushing it's own character. Inbetween it handled a lot of marvels cartoon and tv licences. Like the transformers.

One of marvel uk's early characters was death's head (an excellent character.) he started of in the transformers universe before switching to the marvel u. Inbetween he meet the doctor, who shank him down from giant robot size with the masters Ray.

Now that what I call a cross-over.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Indeed so, Stan Lee as writer and Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko as artists.
    All equally responsible for the iconography of the original Marvel Universe.

In fact, Kirby and Ditko (and the other Marvel artists of the period) were more than the artists. By most accounts all Stan Lee tended to add was the dialogue and captions and maybe a suggestion along the lines of 'let's have a superhero with spider powers'. The actual stories were plotted by the artists, drawn by them, and then Stan Lee would just add his trademark 'thees' and 'thous' at the end. All of the characters were created by the artists. In most cases you'd be hard pressed to even call Lee co-creator, beyond thinking up a name.

In some cases, Lee didn't even work for Marvel at the time the character was created. Captain America for instance was created by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon in the 1940s.

Stan Lee was the nephew of the then publisher of Marvel comics and that's how he got his position. Pure nepotism.

He is an entertaining writer and DID bring a lot of the charm to the stories but his role in the creation of it all was / is extremely exagerrated. At the worst interpretation, Stan Lee was a nepotistically placed stooge to rob the other creators of their credit and stories.

The comics history has an absolutely appalling history in regards to creator rights and Stan Lee is one of the worst offenders. Stan Lee is the only guy who made a good living from those classic Marvel characters and for years attempted to take sole credit. Even now he won't fully admit the contributions of the others. Steve Ditko never made a penny from Spider-man, Doctor Strange or any of the other characters he almost entirely created (Stan Lee's ONLY contribution to the first Spider-man story was the name Spider-man and the dialogue. Jack Kirby created the costume. Everything else was Steve Ditko), beyond the pittance 'work for hire' wage he got at the time.

This is widely known now in comic fandom but it's a shame Stan Lee's mythological version of events is still in the more general public consciousness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor who had a long running comic published by marvel uk (an old British outpost of the American company.)

Marvel uk started with reprints of us material, before it started pushing it's own character. Inbetween it handled a lot of marvels cartoon and tv licences. Like the transformers.

One of marvel uk's early characters was death's head (an excellent character.) he started of in the transformers universe before switching to the marvel u. Inbetween he meet the doctor, who shank him down from giant robot size with the masters Ray.

Now that what I call a cross-over.....

Well, it shouldn't crossover with Doctor Who but I fondly recall deaths Head.

One of the most significant things published in the old Marvel UK Doctor Who comic was some of Alan Moore's earliest published work, doing back-up strips (anyone familiar with comics should know who Alan Moore is), his first featuring the Cybermen.

A few years later, once Moore had written watchmen, V for Vendetta, Miracle man, Swamp Thing and so on, establishing a huge reputation, he was actually approached to write for the Doctor Who TV series in the McCoy era (presumably by Andrew Cartmel, who actively looked for new talent to bring onto the show) but rejected the offer through a disinterest in writing for television in general and Doctor Who in particular. His rather amusing comment on Doctor Who is that all of the Doctors post Hartnell struck him as having the characteristics of 'particularly flamboyant child molesters'). Not a fan of the show. The Doctor's speech about time to the departing Mel in Dragonfire was pretty obviously written by a guy who had just read Watchmen, published around that time.
    Forum Member
    In fact, Kirby and Ditko (and the other Marvel artists of the period) were more than the artists.
    [..]
    This is widely known now in comic fandom but it's a shame Stan Lee's mythological version of events is still in the more general public consciousness.
    Thank you, that's very interesting indeed.
    I always assumed that the creation of the early 60s Marvel characters was a collaboration between Stan Lee and others, but I didn't realise that the generally accepted history had become so skewed in Lee's favour!
    He sounds like a latter day Thomas Edison, taking sole credit for many things that were actually at very least team efforts, and in some cases other people's work entirely!
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Crossovers can work when handled well