New Tricks Series 11

Comments

• auntiemauntiem Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Dull, dull, dull, sorry just not the same, with the new actors.. The attempt at comedy is not working.. The new actors are just boring...
    That was spectacularly dull. There was no spark whatsoever.

So much this.
    I kept looking at the time to see how long was left. So dull.
  • Ben_PainterBen_Painter Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed it even if no-one else did. Personally I think it was stronger than last week's because there was more humour (which a lot of people complained was lacking) and the story had a lot of twists and turns. For those who didn't like it, what exactly would you have added to make it better?
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    And me, because it meant the episode was over. Another dire effort written by Marston Bloom. Indeed I predicted as much last week. Hopefully next weeks is more on a par with the first episode.

Yes, you did indeed say that about that writer, and you were right. It was a bit flat - to say the least.
    I liked bits of it. But the story itself was a bit meh.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it even if no-one else did. Personally I think it was stronger than last week's because there was more humour (which a lot of people complained was lacking) and the story had a lot of twists and turns. For those who didn't like it, what exactly would you have added to make it better?

I enjoyed it too. They had to make it look different because of the change in actors and I like the comedy element. I think Denis Lawson has really made his mark now and Tamsin Outhwaite is better than I thought she would.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was no resolution to the sub-plot of Steve being addicted to his phone game, was there? Also that cat didn't look like a stray.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Not a stray, probably a commuter.
    Forum Member

I didn't DISlike it, I don't dislike any NT episode. I just thought it was a bit slow. I'll watch it again - I always watch the episode again - and i'll probably love all of it!

I agree about the humour bits, though. I enjoyed the funny bits.
  • TbellTbell Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    This was the first episode I've watched with the new cast, and I can honestly say that if it'd been like this back in the beginning, I wouldn't have got past the first series.
    Not awful, and if others liked it then that's great - we all have our opinions.
    I just thought it was plodding and dull, no spark of chemistry amongst the cast at all, and I'm sorry but I do find Nick Lyndhurst's acting quite painful to watch at times.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss Brian.

I wouldn't miss Danny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I am really struggling with New Tricks. I've loved it since the pilot episode and thought all 4 main characters were terrific. I've slowly got used to Steve and Danny in place of Jack and Brian, they're not the same but they do both have something about them which interests me or that I can enjoy. Unfortunately I just can't say the same for Sandra' s replacement, Sasha. I've never really been a fan of Tamzin, I haven't seen her act in very much but when I think of her, all I can come up with is 'dull'. I really don't think she gels with the New Tricks boys and think it was a mistake casting her. It seems they've tried to get a carbon copy of Sandra, instead they've got a very weak imitation. I think it might have worked better to go for a complete change in character, maybe even a much younger 'super cop' type.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »

One of my favourite shows, though I have to agree in some ways with Timebug; it's not the same without the original team. But realistically, both James Bolam & Alun Armstrong were getting too old even for a team of retirees, and Alun's character was getting too weird.
    They could have made him less weird
    Actually really enjoyed that. Plus am likening the new team better then I thought to.
    It's a fine program. Just not a good as it used to be.
    I disagree, to me David Jason is always Del Boy
    Frost is the alter-ego of Del boy. He does have similar mannerisms and he looks similar as well;-)
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    In my opinion, DW has only ever played one role in is entire acting career.
    William Brown ?
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    They could have made him less weird

It's a fine program. Just not a good as it used to be.

Frost is the alter-ego of Del boy. He does have similar mannerisms and he looks similar as well;-)

William Brown ?[/QUOTE]
    k9fan wrote: »

Indeed.
    And he played William Brown in "William" on television, and Oliver in Oliver Twist in the theatre.

So hardly one role in over 50 years of acting.;-)

:)
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do miss the old team but I'm still enjoying the show. Though I did think last weeks episode was a bit more enthralling.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    My only issue with last night was that I was struggling to believe the young asian doctor was a consultant?
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I've only just caught up with last week's and couldn't belive the sleazy lecturer smoking in his office
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    For those who didn't like it, what exactly would you have added to make it better?
    Wittier, snappy and generally better dialogue. Also the Steve subplot made no sense, had no payoff, was out of character and was pretty stupid for a grown man. It was the kind of thing Brian would have done, but not Steve. In fact, the character of Steve is one of my main sticking points. He was a whirlwind of energy when he first arrived and has gradually become more and more bland, as if no-one has any idea what to do with him.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    In my opinion, DW has only ever played one role in is entire acting career.

A bit unfair. He's worked for the RSC, appeared in the musical Windy City,played a Gestapo officer in Colditz and starred in the CBS comedy series Fair Exchange.His other claim to fame seems to be he is currently on his fourth wife:D
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedy wise, it was better than last week, but the story line was pretty poor. I couldn't have cared less whether they found the culprit or not. They didn't engage me with the victim or potential suspects, so they lost my interest.

The problem with all the main characters now is that there is nothing to show their 'other' side. I loved Brian's interaction with Esther & Scampy, but we've now lost Holly ( as Danny's only family), Miller's divorced and children grown, we don't see any of Steve's family and we only have a slight level of input from Gerry's family, and mostly as a relevance to the plot, not as just a general view of home life like we used to get from Brian or even Jack sat in his garden talking to Mary.

Plus, as Greg The Man points out, it has lost a spark. Still watchable, for me, though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    To be fair it lost it's spark a few years ago, before the change in cast. Compare an episode from series 7 with something from it's heyday of series 2-3. Gerry and Jack's personal lives were mostly ignored and there seemed to be a shift in tone from a comedy drama with a bit of crime thrown in, to a police procedural with the occasional witty remark. It was still good, but not what it used to be.
    Forum Member
    Last night's may not have been a perfect episode but I still think it would have been a better start to the series than last week's episode. The mistake that one made was that it focused on Gerry too much and not the team as a whole. At least the second episode gave us an insight into how this new team might actually work.
    Forum Member
    looby383x wrote: »
    Comedy wise, it was better than last week, but the story line was pretty poor. I couldn't have cared less whether they found the culprit or not. They didn't engage me with the victim or potential suspects, so they lost my interest.

The problem with all the main characters now is that there is nothing to show their 'other' side. I loved Brian's interaction with Esther & Scampy, but we've now lost Holly ( as Danny's only family), Miller's divorced and children grown, we don't see any of Steve's family and we only have a slight level of input from Gerry's family, and mostly as a relevance to the plot, not as just a general view of home life like we used to get from Brian or even Jack sat in his garden talking to Mary.

Plus, as Greg The Man points out, it has lost a spark. Still watchable, for me, though

Steve's ex-wife appears in one episode when their son is in trouble.

Jack stopped talking to Mary about 2 years before he left. Someone pointed that out. The last time was in Series 6 when they got Hansen.
    I think the only constant over the years where private lives were concerned, was Esther.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Steve's ex-wife appears in one episode when their son is in trouble.

Jack stopped talking to Mary about 2 years before he left. Someone pointed that out. The last time was in Series 6 when they got Hansen.
    I think the only constant over the years where private lives were concerned, was Esther.
    I mean in a regular basis. I think they've all had random family members appear at various points, but we don't have any regular family with the current crop. I though Holly would provide that for Danny, and he would be the best person to have a family life, as he is the one that is supposed not to 'fit' in with the others and it would have been good to see him fitting in & relaxing at home. I like to see a bit of personal life.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    My only issue with last night was that I was struggling to believe the young asian doctor was a consultant?

and what happened to the operation is 30 minutes. :(
    Forum Member
    Alison Graham actually wrote a positive review of next week's episode. That doesn't happen very often.
    Forum Member
    Alison Graham actually wrote a positive review of next week's episode. That doesn't happen very often.

She hates NT. She always has. That was obvious from the things she's wrote about it over the years. Even when the original gang where all there.