'Deep Breath' Spoiler-Free Reviews

CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
Forum Member
✭✭
No matter what, it seems inevitable that World Tour participants will want to share their thoughts on the opening episode of Series 8 over the next two weeks. In the next three days, even. To that end, I thought it might be an idea to establish a separate thread for such musings early on.

I thought it would also be a good idea to keep it accessible to those who don't visit the spoiler thread. Therefore I have called this a spoiler-free thread. "Spoiler-free" defined within the context of this thread means that no plot spoilers (or anything that would greatly detract from the experience of others) should be posted outside of spoiler tags. Take a look at critics' spoiler-free reviews for insights.

But all the same, it will be good to see early thoughts on Capaldi in action and the general opinion of Deep Breath without going in to too many specifics. :)

Oh! It would also be appreciated if it could be kept reasonably on topic - even if it means being buried until Thursday. There's already a thread for just about every argument going :p
He's-a-coming!

Comments

• doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    Just to ask, the way you mention Thursday, does that mean you know that there will definitely be some spoiler free reviews released then?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the press? No idea. But it has happened with previous series after the launch.

By premiere ticket-holding members of the public - I would expect so.
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks. I look forward to seeing what surfaces. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The TARDIS has landed, a red carpet has materialized and the Daleks are forming an orderly queue under covers.

This is the day everything begins.

#CapalDay
    Forum Member
    This page has a lot of info/pics from stuff that happened in/around the premiere event in cardiff, Including a run down of things which happened throughout.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/doctor-who-series-8-world-7575676
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here I am snatching a brief break in work in another part of Cardiff feeling a tad jealous. Kind words from Peter C which is nice. And red certainly does suit Jenna; then again we knew that as soon as we clapped eyes on Oswin! :cool:

Hoping everyone, including CD93 and any other FMs there, have a blast. Looking forward to the (spoiler free, of course) reactions to the episode. Beautiful day for it too. :)
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please please someone who has been tell us what the new titles are like :):D im dying to know :D
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some spoiler free tweets!

@timey_stuff 25m You guys are gonna love deep breath!!!! All I can say is....... #keepmespoilerfree #DoctorWho #DoctorWhoWorldTour

@DoctorWhoGal 25m I've just seen Deep Breath. It was spectacular :') It is worth the wait

@ccipyke 26m Big big applause at end of Deep Breath screening of Doctor Who.

@FangirlQuest 1m Also, as a sort of a sidenote, I want to say I ADORE Capaldi's Doctor. Just needed to be said. You just wait! #DoctorWho

@ecossefilmmaker 1m Great first episode. You'll love Capaldi! #DoctorWho

@outlinereality 40s I can't tell you anything BUT.. It was bloody fantastic and I cried my eyes out!! #DoctorWho #DWWorldTour

@lostatcore 29s There is not one single word to sum up the first episode of #DoctorWho #DoctorWhoWorldTour

@willbrooks1989 29s I laughed. I cried. #DoctorWho has never been this good.

@Sarah_FTHC 1m Can't wait for you all to see the first episode because you are going to absolutely love it *no spoilers* #DoctorWho

@fairwarning101 1m No spoilers for the first Capaldi Episode but you are in for a real treat #DoctorWho #DoctorWhoWorldTour #DoctorWhopremier

@TheDaiLlew 35s I enjoyed that. I enjoyed that very much. Especially the bit when ***** *** ******* * ***** ** ***** *** * ****. #DoctorWho #NoSpoilers

@Tobiiiaaas 1m ASDRHMIFJKLDKBTHBRJBDKFYFYYCUJGUKIVUIFDY OH MY GOD IS THE FIRST EPISODE FANTASTIC!!! #DoctorWho #DWWorldTour

@matt_williams8 1m Can't say anything but @bbcdoctorwho Series 8 Episode 1 is amazing. #DWWorldTour #DoctorWho

Seems to be going down a treat thus far!
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News and short interview
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems very odd that I've not seen one negative tweet yet, fantastic but odd.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »

Any second now... it's a-coming. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One Doctor Who site photographs....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This page has a lot of info/pics from stuff that happened in/around the premiere event in cardiff, Including a run down of things which happened throughout.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/doctor-who-series-8-world-7575676

Ah. I missed this. Some great pics there :)
  • HypnosssHypnosss Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not that surprising considering the type of person who would go to this event.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnosss wrote: »

Doctor Who fans, mostly... I would think.

I will post my general thoughts in full later as I have little desire to do so on a mobile device - but Deep Breath is a lot of fun and Capaldi is full of energy. Visually, it has a certain edge through which Wheatley shines. Really looking forward to seeing it again. Lots of cheer-worthy moments which I won't quite be able to replicate sitting alone at home - that is why I have enjoyed these screenings. It wasn't disruptive, it was enjoyable. That is why I came...

...and to see the lovely Peter Capaldi who stopped in front of me to sign things. You wouldn't believe the video footage I have of his eyebrows. What a guy.

Sorry Ray - your prediction of my singing your praises was false.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnosss wrote: »

Yes. Fans. Imagine!

For a more fair and balanced view we had best wait for the DS Amateur TV Critic brigade who will post on here during the episode...

'worst thing ever'

'Moffat is a national embarrassment'

'bring back Matt Smith/Tennant/K-9'

'sack Capaldi'

'its Colin Baker all over again'

three minutes in- 'is anyone else really bored by this'

five minutes in- 'is anyone else confused by this'

forty five minutes in- 'confused by.....' (insert easily understandable plot point that has been explained on screen if only they had actually watched instead of posting on a forum/complaining on Twitter)

'too childish'

'too dark'

'never watching this drivel again...see you next week!'

Yeah. Can't wait for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and I wanted to mention the music. Shame I can't listen to it on repeat, but if 12's theme is what I think it is, I really like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Den of Geek have a review
    Arguably, though, this is as much, if not more, Jenna Coleman's episode. Clara has been a different companion for the Doctor, in that she's more than once proven to be one step ahead of him. Here, though, she's just as broken as the Doctor, and Steven Moffat's script calls for some hard acting work from Jenna Coleman to put that across, crucially giving her the screen time to do so. She delivers, not in a bombastic way, but quietly and gradually, building up her performance and the mix of sadness and confusion in her character. It would be fair to say her faith has been rattled, and Coleman - and this is very much a good thing too - is a wonderfully uneven match for Capaldi.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/31637/doctor-who-series-8-deep-breath-spoiler-free-review#ixzz39ihNcRYm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Oh and I wanted to mention the music. Shame I can't listen to it on repeat, but if 12's theme is what I think it is, I really like it.

Will you like it after, say, ten repeats, in multiple variations? I enjoyed Eleven's quirky theme at first but it got quite dull by the end of his first series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Having been fortunate enough to go and see the premiere, i have to say i can't imagine too many negative threads.....it was a great, great watch...

Capaldi is great dealing with his regeneration, Jenna is probably the best i've seen her in an episode....the Paternoster Gang as are per usual kicking butt and all.....

I was waiting for the opening sequence which has a familiar feel to it and is very cool and the music seems different but also familiar......

All in all thoroughly enjoyed it and i suspect many people with have a new 'My Doctor'

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will you like it after, say, ten repeats, in multiple variations? I enjoyed Eleven's quirky theme at first but it got quite dull by the end of his first series.

I can't really talk about music too much without hearing it all again and in other episodes. But if it IS 12's theme, it's more of a.... I don't know how to put it :p

I Am The Doctor was 'event' music for the most part. This could be less "here we go again'"

Brief description of the track I'm referring to:
    There was a recurring theme with ticking in it. Another part was a bit more bombastic, but in a more... serious way, than I Am The Doctor.

Can't say anything for sure about any of the music. But there is an action piece which has stuck with me.

12 did a little movement which we have seen Capaldi do many times before... and the theatre erupt in to applause. It wasn't eyebrow related. But the reaction was funny.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a new interpretation of the theme music?
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the Telegraph have released a review riddled with spoilers so it's probably advisable to avoid that.

Something I'd really like to know is how dark Deep Breath feels to the viewer. Not dark as in the sense of 'everybody dies' or that the doctor is less approachable, but whether it's got a somber atmosphere to it.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the Telegraph have released a review riddled with spoilers so it's probably advisable to avoid that. .

Thanks for the warning, I had a brief look at the GB spoiler thread and quickly backed out, people really were being quite detailed.