Options

Sky gnome - now available!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
Forum Member
The sky gnome is now available.

Just ordered one - delivery takes 3-5 days.

The website http://www1.sky.com/skygnome/ has a lot more detail on it now too.

Email I just received:

==========================
Hey there

Just to let you know I have arrived and I am ready to roam!

I cost ?69.99 plus p&p - Just a one off payment with no additional subscription charge.

If you want me, simply call my agent on 08702 40 70 90 and they will arrange for me to be dropped off at your place. But you gotta be quick as initial stocks are limited!

I'll be delivered direct to your door, Mon to Fri via courier...and if you're not in, no problem- the courier will leave a card for you to collect me or arrange a second delivery.

Looking forward to meeting you

Bye for now

Sky Gnome
=========================

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    jogu wrote:
    The sky gnome is now available.

Just ordered one - delivery takes 3-5 days.

The website http://www1.sky.com/skygnome/ has a lot more detail on it now too.

Email I just received:

==========================
    Hey there

Just to let you know I have arrived and I am ready to roam!

I cost ?69.99 plus p&p - Just a one off payment with no additional subscription charge.

If you want me, simply call my agent on 08702 40 70 90 and they will arrange for me to be dropped off at your place. But you gotta be quick as initial stocks are limited!

I'll be delivered direct to your door, Mon to Fri via courier...and if you're not in, no problem- the courier will leave a card for you to collect me or arrange a second delivery.

Looking forward to meeting you

Bye for now

Sky Gnome
    =========================

Instruction manual:

http://content.hmxmedia.com/sky/skygnome/Sky%20Gnome%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

(warning: 8.2M!)

Oddly, it connects to both the RF2 port *and* the RS232 port!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duplicate thread - you've got to be just that bit quicker!

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rai man wrote:
    Duplicate thread - you've got to be just that bit quicker!

:D:D:D

Hehe. In my defence, I got more info in my post though ;)

Can't wait to have a play - it looks good. 8 hour battery life, which is reasonable. 20ish metre range. Connects to the audio output of the sky box - so if you've got the TV on, you can only listen to what's been watched on the TV.

You can listen to sky+ recordings on it, but can't start playback on the gnome, only using the main sky+ remote/TV.

For anyone wondering about ordering there's a choice of orange or blue which I hadn't noticed before, so try to make up your mind before calling!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iv'e downloaded the manual and it looks good.

I cant wait for people to start reviewing it once they've got one as i then might treat myselft to an early christmas present.

what colour have you ordered btw?

from the manual im not 100% sure but is a subscription or card necessary to use it? Iv'e got a digibox connected in the spare room with the free channels and its rarely used, maybe once or twice a month so i wanted to connect it to that as i would only use it for the radio channels which would be perfect as it wouldn't effect the viewing of my sky+ box or my parents multiroom box in the lounge.

Its a shame sky digital subscription/card system doesn't work like the old analogue one because on analogue Sky if you didnt have a card or subscribe to the channel you could still listen to the channel which would be perfect for the Gnome
  • Options
    Forum Member
    asdigi wrote:
    Iv'e downloaded the manual and it looks good.

I cant wait for people to start reviewing it once they've got one as i then might treat myselft to an early christmas present.

what colour have you ordered btw?
    I went for the orange one. TBH I've have rather had black/grey/silver/white.
    from the manual im not 100% sure but is a subscription or card necessary to use it? Iv'e got a digibox connected in the spare room with the free channels and its rarely used, maybe once or twice a month so i wanted to connect it to that as i would only use it for the radio channels which would be perfect as it wouldn't effect the viewing of my sky+ box or my parents multiroom box in the lounge.

You'll be able to listen to any channels the box can already get. If you can already listen to the radio channels you'll be able to do so with the gnome. (I'm not sure in the radio channels are FTA/FTV? If they are, you don't need a subscription card.)
  • Options
    BeancounterBeancounter Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jogu wrote:
    Hehe. In my defence, I got more info in my post though ;)

I was too busy being shoved from pillar to post on the Sky phone system. The number I was given on my email was different to the one you quoted strangely enough.

After reading the manual now considering getting my box relocated to the spare room as I don't have room for another power cable behind the telly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Has any body considered using gnome to extend stereo sound to the second tv on RF2 outlet. As far as i am aware the signal passed to the second tv is mono. If you use a sky gnome in conjunction with the rf2 video you should be able to extend video and stereo sound to your second tv. Unless there is a delay problem.

Also there is a stereo line out on the pack of the gnome giving you the option of connecting a dolby surround system to the second tv.
  • Options
    OtisOtis Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was too busy being shoved from pillar to post on the Sky phone system. The number I was given on my email was different to the one you quoted strangely enough.

Strange, my email quoted "08702 41 80 90" which took me straight to the 'Sky Gnome' information service.
  • Options
    AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a heap of crap to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you see the text above marked IMPORTANT?

"Please ensure your reply is constructive and adds to the discussion"

Your comments were very constuctive :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive just recieved the email from sky gnome
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKW wrote:
    Looks like a heap of crap to me.

It probably thinks exactly the same about you!
  • Options
    AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is my opinion of a new product based on the posted user documentation so is constructive. It looks over priced and does nothing that cannot be obtained via the use of existing produts at a cheaper price, for example remote extenders etc.

I still have the same opionion. Its a very costly heap of crap which provides little for the price!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    lol seems pretty pointless, wireless speaker really! have to be watching what u want to hear on the gnome!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Otis wrote:
    Strange, my email quoted "08702 41 80 90" which took me straight to the 'Sky Gnome' information service.

The lady I spoke to said it was the first order she'd taken for one (it took her a little while but she was very nice), so it's possible the other guy got someone who had no idea what was going on. :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AKW wrote:
    It is my opinion of a new product based on the posted user documentation so is constructive. It looks over priced and does nothing that cannot be obtained via the use of existing produts at a cheaper price, for example remote extenders etc.

I still have the same opionion. Its a very costly heap of crap which provides little for the price!

It's a nice all in one solution.

Show me a cheaper rechargeable wireless speaker with integrated remote and a nice display for feedback and I'll agree with you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I've just ordered mine. Blue and its due on tuesday. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattcreese wrote:

I was told up to 28 days, hopefully mine will come around that time too.
  • Options
    3dom3dom Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think its very expensive for what it does, i think i will wait till the price comes down.
  • Options
    Mark37852Mark37852 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    mattcreese wrote:

Snap!!

I got straight through (well after pressing the customary 1 * etc) and spoke to a nice Scottish chap who was well informed about the gnome.
  • Options
    JackPaarJackPaar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like listening to radio in your shed whilst playing with your train set, this is a handy product.

I think I might get one. Hope it sells well for Christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hope these will be available in the shops before christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Ordered an orange one this morning; will get it on Tuesday :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    jogu wrote:
    Instruction manual:

http://content.hmxmedia.com/sky/skygnome/Sky%20Gnome%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

(warning: 8.2M!)

Oddly, it connects to both the RF2 port *and* the RS232 port!

Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't got the patience go download 8.2M!

But if the Sky Gnome connects to the RF2 port does this affect the link to the second TV with the Sky TV Link and remote eye. I.e can you have TV link and Sky Gnome plugged in together??? I can't see how this would work?

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "RF2" connection is used purely and solely to power the data link sender of the system. NOTHING ELSE.