Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This afternoon's double bill weren't in widescreen! Anyone know if they were when on last night? I'll try and see them on Saturday morning instead and hope they're in wide this time.

No they weren't in wide screen yesterday evening either.
  • fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    This afternoon's double bill weren't in widescreen! Anyone know if they were when on last night? I'll try and see them on Saturday morning instead and hope they're in wide this time.

That's because it's from the 80s and was never made in widescreen. All the original Cheers episodes were made and broadcast in full screen, and the dvd release is that way too. I read a post earlier saying they'd been "remastered in wide screen a few years ago" - but all that would have done is butchered the original by cutting off the top and bottom (albeit carefully!) to give the impression of widescreen.
    If you ever see a version on a TV channel that is widescreen, all they've done is cut the top and bottom off the original footage (therefore you're missing stuff, but people think you're gaining cos oooh it's widescreen!)
    Watching a full frame old tv show on a widescreen telly with black bars left and right is a better option than seeing a butchered fake widescreen with actual footage missing.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    That's because it's from the 80s and was never made in widescreen. All the original Cheers episodes were made and broadcast in full screen, and the dvd release is that way too. I read a post earlier saying they'd been "remastered in wide screen a few years ago" - but all that would have done is butchered the original by cutting off the top and bottom (albeit carefully!) to give the impression of widescreen.
    If you ever see a version on a TV channel that is widescreen, all they've done is cut the top and bottom off the original footage (therefore you're missing stuff, but people think you're gaining cos oooh it's widescreen!)
    Watching a full frame old tv show on a widescreen telly with black bars left and right is a better option than seeing a butchered fake widescreen with actual footage missing.

Thanks for that. It does seem odd though that every other episode so far has been shown in widescreen, it's only these two that haven't.
  • fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. It does seem odd though that every other episode so far has been shown in widescreen, it's only these two that haven't.

Have they? I have the box set so only see it on ITV4 when i'm channel flicking - but the ones i've seen on there have been full screen (ie with black bars left and right if you have your aspect ratio set to 4.3, or filling the widescreen but everyone looks squashed and fat if you leave your telly on 16.9 setting) not real widescreen (16.9).
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was back to full screen today (Wed). Two very good episodes I thought. I am really starting to like Rebecca now, and it was really funny when Cliff snapped back at Carla's put downs. :D I hope they all start to answer her one-liners back with interest. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was back to full screen today (Wed). Two very good episodes I thought. I am really starting to like Rebecca now, and it was really funny when Cliff snapped back at Carla's put downs. :D I hope they all start to answer her one-liners back with interest. :)

Love the Frasier and Lillith scenes.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebecca is growing on me now. Have to agree it was great when Cliff snapped back at Carla and put her in her place!!
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im watching these Cheers re-runs for the very first time and as a new viewer I have realy loved all the episodes so far. However, this new season is feeling like a let down so far. A few things just arent right with it.

Diane leaving was one thing, but it was a double shock to have Sam selling the bar, and the whole dynamic of the show changing. It was unbelievable to think that Sam would sell the bar and then come back as "just" a barman. Also the repetative storyline of Sam trying to get it on with Diane has now simply been changed to Sam trying to bed Rebecca. Hardly gound breaking.

One of the biggest turn offs has neen the ridiculous Carla / Eddie romance. Are we realy meant to believe that a professional ice hockey player would go for Carla, an annoying women with absolutely no likeable redeeming features whatsoever. Its not helped by the fact the actor playing him has the charisma of a bag of potatoes. He leaves me cold.

There are plus points though. Frasier and Lillith are excellent are already proving to be the stars of the show and Cliff and Norm are constantly hilarious.

As I said, Im a new viewer so hopefully as the season goes on Rebecca will settle into the role and show will have a more "familiar" feel to it.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Im watching these Cheers re-runs for the very first time and as a new viewer I have realy loved all the episodes so far. However, this new season is feeling like a let down so far. A few things just arent right with it.

I think the series sparked into life very quickly and, in fact, brought the show back to its best - in fact probably better than it had been before.

Some excellent episodes in the last few days.

Had it kept at the same level of the last two "Diane" series I might well have stopped watching back in the 80s. Luckily it quickly improved and became essential viewing (or recording as it was a Friday evening show on Ch4).
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »

Diane leaving was one thing, but it was a double shock to have Sam selling the bar, and the whole dynamic of the show changing. It was unbelievable to think that Sam would sell the bar and then come back as "just" a barman. Also the repetative storyline of Sam trying to get it on with Diane has now simply been changed to Sam trying to bed Rebecca. Hardly gound breaking.

One of the biggest turn offs has neen the ridiculous Carla / Eddie romance. Are we realy meant to believe that a professional ice hockey player would go for Carla, an annoying women with absolutely no likeable redeeming features whatsoever. Its not helped by the fact the actor playing him has the charisma of a bag of potatoes. He leaves me cold.

There are plus points though. Frasier and Lillith are excellent are already proving to be the stars of the show and Cliff and Norm are constantly hilarious.

As I said, Im a new viewer so hopefully as the season goes on Rebecca will settle into the role and show will have a more "familiar" feel to it.

Rebecca will (hopefully) grow on you, I didn't like her at first when she joined. She comes into her own as the series progress

Sam selling the bar was a bit of a shocked, but I actually think it helped the dynamic of the show. If he was still the owner when Rebecca joined, the show would have risked being a rerun of the first Diane year

Cliff moving out of home makes him funnier, especially when he's properly trading barbs with Carla.

I'd forgotten about Norm's weird perm that's currently making an appearance :eek::p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten about Norm's weird perm that's currently making an appearance :eek::p

It was bad but it was the 80s.

A decade that saw some very bad hair.
  • ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my favourite series of Cheers, was not keen on the "Diane" series, I found her too annoying, whereas Rebecca is hilarious, can't wait for the creepy man who owns the restaurant upstairs to appear(forget his name), some of the episodes with him in it are really funny. My main reason for watching ,though, is to see the guy Rebecca has the hots for, Evan Drake played by Tom Skerritt, so gorgeous!:o Him as well as Sam. Wow!
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    CBS Drama and ITV4 are both airing the same episode tonight - the Christmas one from S6! So at 7.30pm when ITV4 air the second episode of the night they will be ahead of CBS Drama so I will be watching on ITV4 from now on :cool:
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching for the first time and find myself laughing more now than when Diane was in it, I also am one of the few who likes Carla, her barbed comments make me laugh, but my favourites are Norman and Woody.

I also like the way Frasier has become more involved in the group, as someone who is watching both Cheers and Frasier for the first time, it's nice to see how his character develops.
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat1966 wrote: »
    I'm watching for the first time and find myself laughing more now than when Diane was in it, I also am one of the few who likes Carla, her barbed comments make me laugh, but my favourites are Norman and Woody.

I also like the way Frasier has become more involved in the group, as someone who is watching both Cheers and Frasier for the first time, it's nice to see how his character develops.

I preferred the Rebecca years and I agree about Frasier, the way he began to develop and play a bigger part in the storylines added to the appeal for me. Funnily enough I never watched Frasier but I'm hoping that once Cheers is over that the complete series of Frasier is commissioned as I will definitely watch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my favourite series of Cheers, was not keen on the "Diane" series, I found her too annoying, whereas Rebecca is hilarious, can't wait for the creepy man who owns the restaurant upstairs to appear(forget his name), some of the episodes with him in it are really funny. My main reason for watching ,though, is to see the guy Rebecca has the hots for, Evan Drake played by Tom Skerritt, so gorgeous!:o Him as well as Sam. Wow!

John Allen-Hill IIRC.

Meant to be "English" (far from the worst British accent in an American series) which provides reason for annoyance amongst the regulars - but 'connects' with Carla!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat1966 wrote: »

I like Carla as well.

She's someone who has been dealt a tough hand in life, and had the misfortune to cross the path of Nick. She has a huge sex drive - hence the kids - and covers a lot of vunerability with a vey acerbic tongue.

Norm was, and remains, my favourite character. A man content to accept a life with simple pleasures - especially when he can afford them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great line from Woody a couple of days ago;
    Cliff mentions kamikaze pilots and Woody says "I always wanted to meet one of those guys, the stories they must tell!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great line from Woody a couple of days ago;
    Cliff mentions kamikaze pilots and Woody says "I always wanted to meet one of those guys, the stories they must tell!"

Woody is growing on me.

His line the other night about Rebecca's boss and how much he pays for his socks. Norm says "at least 75" Woody replies (as straight faced as ever) "Geez, even I pay a dollar":D Not that funny when you write it, but that really tickled me. :D The whole scene was timed to perfection.

I have to say, that I am preferring the show now (as opposed to when Diane was in it) I liked Diane, but the present cast just seem to gel much better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've grown to love the character of Woody Boyd now. I'd go as far to say he is my favorite besides Norm Peterson. Being only 22 I unfortunately missed out on watching it originally. Though I'm enjoying the latest season being shown I really do miss Shelly Long's part even if I've started to warm to Kirstie Alley at last.

People were right, the show is equally good if not better without Coach & Diane. Frasier is an immense character. I've asked for the Frasier boxset for my birthday for after I've finished watching Cheers I won't get to many withdrawal symptoms.

Along with watching Cheers I've been purchasing every Seinfeld season and combining my spare time between the two. Pure genius.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched Thursday's episodes and was happy to see the character Lilith back. Hopefully she'll become a regular. I love her. :)

She remains a recurring character (though seen fairly frequently) until Season 10, where she appears as a regular and even gets a 'character' graphic in the opening titles. Unfortunately, Bebe Neuwirth wanted to focus on Broadway so in Season 11 she's back to being a recurring character - although she still has some major storylines, which I won't spoil (although they have implications for 'Frasier'). In my opinion, Frasier and Lilith *make* the post-Diane years (along with great stuff from Norm and Cliff, of course). Sam, I really think loses a lot without Diane; he just seems to be an over-sexed, one-note character who is constantly chasing skirts.
  • icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    I still miss Diane :( though slowly getting used to the show now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long has Ted Danson been in CSI Crime Scene Investigation? Just seen it for the first time yesterday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    She remains a recurring character (though seen fairly frequently) until Season 10, where she appears as a regular and even gets a 'character' graphic in the opening titles. Unfortunately, Bebe Neuwirth wanted to focus on Broadway so in Season 11 she's back to being a recurring character - although she still has some major storylines, which I won't spoil (although they have implications for 'Frasier'). In my opinion, Frasier and Lilith *make* the post-Diane years (along with great stuff from Norm and Cliff, of course). Sam, I really think loses a lot without Diane; he just seems to be an over-sexed, one-note character who is constantly chasing skirts.

Thanks. Good to know Lilith will be around. I think she's great. :)

I thought a lot of posts had been removed, but have just noticed that I (and a lot of others) have been posting in he other Cheers thread for the past few weeks (I did not realise) :o Maybe they should be merged ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fozzie74 wrote: »

Luckily the Saturday morning repeats WERE in widescreen!
    As I have both versions I was able to compare and there's absolutely no loss of picture from the top or bottom to accomodate the stretching to fit. There's nothing missing at all. Whoever re-mastered them did a brilliant job.