Scottish (Gay) Murder (Merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
Forum Member
http://news.pinkpaper.com/NewsStory/6267/24/10/2011/mans-burnt-body-found-dumped-at-side-of-ayrshire-road-.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15426893

If it happens he was targeted because he was Gay, just shows how rife homophobia still is in this country.
Standard homophobia is bad enough but to kill the way he died is pretty horiffic.

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From that report: "Detectives said there was nothing to suggest the attack was a homophobic crime, but refused to rule it out."

Maybe it would be sensible to wait until we know more before starting to speculate?
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was truly sad.

But any killing is horrifc, surely.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police said on the news tonight the speculation about this being a homophobic muder was unfounded.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets wait until the police investigating the murder say there is evidence to suggest it was a "homophobic crime" before speculating, eh?
    Detectives said there was nothing to suggest the attack was a homophobic crime, but refused to rule it out.

Det Insp John Hogg, of Strathclyde Police, said: "We are still working towards identifying a motive for this murder. I am aware of all the speculation in the media regarding Mr Walker and his death.

"At this time we have nothing to indicate that this is a homophobic crime. Until we know the exact circumstances surrounding this murder, we will not rule anything out and will keep an open mind on any possible motive for his terrible crime.

"There have also been reports that Mr Walker was tied to a post, this is not the case."

ETA. Beaten to it. Twice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already a thread under a different title.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1563674
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Whoever is capable of such evil behaviour does not deserve to live in society ever again. Hope they catch those responsible for this ASAP and literally throw away the key.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until if and when someone is arrested for this and there is evidence to suggest that it was a homophobic attack (eg. the person or persons arrested are known to be homophobic) the police and the media will continue to repeat the line that speculation is unfounded. Homophobia is on the steep increase in the UK but it's not something the police or media want to make too well known. This country has considered itself progressive and forward thinking for five decades so it's a shame to see it regress this way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until if and when someone is arrested for this and there is evidence to suggest that it was a homophobic attack (eg. the person or persons arrested are known to be homophobic) the police and the media will continue to repeat the line that speculation is unfounded. Homophobia is on the steep increase in the UK but it's not something the police or media want to make too well known. This country has considered itself progressive and forward thinking for five decades so it's a shame to see it regress this way.

I'm sure i've seen a number of cases reported.
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15426893

If it happens he was targeted because he was Gay, just shows how rife homophobia still is in this country.
    Standard homophobia is bad enough but to kill the way he died is pretty horiffic.

He wasn't killed for being gay, he was killed because sadly his path crossed that of an utter psychopath(s)
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to me that the reasons for, the excuses for, or the explanations for any murder are totally irrelevant.

The most important fact is that a young man has been killed and whoever did this deserves everything that's coming their way.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by the title he's chosen for this thread, stevewignet has already made up his mind what led to the murder anyway. He hasn't even put a question mark in it to indicate that there might be some doubt as to the motive: Scottish (Gay) Murder it is. Well, that's that cut and dried, then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I live not too far away from where this happened and as yet there is no proof that the murder was due to sexuality.There has also been misinformation that the victim was tied to a lampost prior to being set on fire.
    The people in Cumnock are disgusted by what has happened and its probably better that the police find who committed the murder before the people of the village do.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Judging by the title he's chosen for this thread, stevewignet has already made up his mind what led to the murder anyway. He hasn't even put a question mark in it to indicate that there might be some doubt as to the motive: Scottish (Gay) Murder it is. Well, that's that cut and dried, then.

The guy was gay so technically it was a gay murder.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    as opposed to English (Gay) Murder..:confused:
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's surprising how little coverage a man getting burned alive tied to a lamp post, can get in this country.

Dare I say much of the media are just keen to avoid the potential 'gay' issue.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    It's surprising how little coverage a man getting burned alive tied to a lamp post, can get in this country.

BBC link:

It is thought the 28-year-old had been beaten and burned.

Detectives said there was nothing to suggest the attack was a homophobic crime, but refused to rule it out.

"There have also been reports that Mr Walker was tied to a post, this is not the case."
  • statelessstateless Posts: 1,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, whether or not is was a homophobic crime, I'm saddened that someone would meet such a horrific end. It sounds like he was on a night out too, not expecting any trouble or anything. It sounds like the kind of fate you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering what evidence they can expect to find at this stage that would suggest it was a homophobic murder. Surely until they find the killer and ascertain his or her or their motives they can't possibly know one way or another.

As much as I can understand that the police aren't ready yet to say it was motivated by homophobia, it seems odd that they are so keen to stress that there is no evidence that it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I'm wondering what evidence they can expect to find at this stage that would suggest it was a homophobic murder. Surely until they find the killer and ascertain his or her or their motives they can't possibly know one way or another.

As much as I can understand that the police aren't ready yet to say it was motivated by homophobia, it seems odd that they are so keen to stress that there is no evidence that it was.

Possibly because if they don't stress the point it will be assumed to be homophobic, as evidenced by the two threads on DS
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    magratx wrote: »
    Possibly because if they don't stress the point it will be assumed to be homophobic, as evidenced by the two threads on DS

But by saying that there's no evidence that it is a homophobic makes it sound like it definitely isn't and the police can't say that definitively any more than they can say that it is.
  • jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are gay, you do know this sort of thing does happen. If you're not, then unless you went and looked then you wouldn't necessarily know.

Also, the attack was very severe - which usually means it personal (about that person) and there is serious enmity. It's not just a murder, it is torture and the intent to inflict a high level of pain and suffering. That is often associated with sex/love/relationships. Now, there are murders which include some of those elements, but they are usually old-style Mafia killings, to send a message.

Most gay people would fear that this is related to his sexuality, and anyone can see that the severity of the suffering inflicted isn't a) accidental, b) just killing someone, but designed to send a message.

He was, according to many, very popular and a happy individual who was well-liked. We don't know if this was related to being in a gang (no evidence), drug dealing (no evidence), related to relationship issues such as sleeping with someone's girlfriend (he was gay, so no), or sleeping with someone's boyfriend (possible, but I think unlikely).

I'd rather it was not related to his sexuality - otherwise there is a killer, or I suspect killers, out there targeting people because of their sexuality, but I have a gut feeling it was a homophobic murder. But I hope I'm wrong.

ps. The police would naturally say there isn't anything to suggest it was a homophobic attack or murder, because they don't want to send panic throughout the whole of the Scottish gay community - such as has happened before. It isn't the first time gay people have been targeted in Scotland, and figures show homophobic crimes have increased 4-5 times over the past few years.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was an evil and brutal killing whatever the motivation. Would it be any less abhorrent if it turned out that this was nothing more than a vicious attack on a random stranger in the wrong place at the wrong time?

The "people" behind this need to be found and locked away in the deepest darkest hole possible, preferably forever.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »

It happened in Scotland. Legal rules bar giving out too much information on any criminal case before trial. That's why we don't have horrible trial by media such as undergone by Joanna Yeat's landlord.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    It happened in Scotland. Legal rules bar giving out too much information on any criminal case before trial. That's why we don't have horrible trial by media such as undergone by Joanna Yeat's landlord.

Ah okay.

I said in another thread, what WOULD point to this being a homophobic crime? A note left by the attacker by the body?

I mean, it seems bizarrely 'specific' to just have been a random act of violence, doesn't it?

Are these sorts of crimes usually without predetermination?
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nvm..