Options

The 'prayer and worship' thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Because the religious try and force their myths on others and claim they are truths.

And their only argument is to quote the bible - a bundle of stories used to control people.

No, in the majority of cases they really don't you know. Of course in some cases they do, usually the hierarchy when they feel something is being threatened (as in the gay marriage thing) but mostly christians and those of other faiths just go about their business.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Because the religious try and force their myths on others and claim they are truths.

And their only argument is to quote the bible - a bundle of stories used to control people.

There are many religious people who do not quote The Bible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    There are many religious people who do not quote The Bible

And plenty of non religious people do. I have been known to quote the bible myself. Usually ironically, but still.
  • Options
    CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people interrogate the religious so harshly (although I like to question myself, tis true) because faith cannot really be proven.

I think the reason God saves some and not others is because he simply isnt there and its all down to fate and a spin of the wheel. But if people want to believe their prayers are answered then I don't see the problem with that.

The ONLY time I have a problem with it is that group of people (and forgive me, I can't remember the faith) where they do not allow doctors etc to treat them and they "leave it up to God" even where children are involved. Fine for the adults making their own choices, but children have not yet decided their own path.

Its best to see "faith" for what it really is

a posh word for blatant ignorance and refusal to learn

too many people hide behind that vile backward word as if it is a magic force field:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CatWolf wrote: »

too many people hide behind that vile backward word as if it is a magic force field:rolleyes:

But unless they are trying to influence you,in which case you can tell them where to shove it, why should you care? Thats the point I'm making - I mean I have no faith whatsoever in any kind of God but I see no need to deprive others of that comfort blanket if they want it because it doesnt affect me at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not trying to convince myself of anything I was responding to OhWhenTheSaints.

To respond to Lizzy, most Christians use medicine like anybody else does. Of course, we use prayer too and I think it helps.

As far as quoting the Bible, I do sometimes. Why shouldn't I? It's the book we are supposed to study and meditate on. It can be very powerful. I don't normally quote the Bible in debates. I don't get involved in religious debates much any more because when one person looks at things spiritually and the other is looking at them literally, it's hard to really have any productive conversation. It usually devolves into namecalling.

Most Christians are not in-your-face. I certainly don't try to be. I just have my beliefs and stick to them. Usually I don't start the debate somebody else just takes offense to what I say. Their right to of course. I just think it's ironic that I hear some atheists talk about how Christians judge them when on here it's often some atheists doing the judging and attacking. Don't we Christians have a right to have our own thread without people mocking God in it? If you don't like the thread then you can leave it alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But unless they are trying to influence you,in which case you can tell them where to shove it, why should you care? Thats the point I'm making - I mean I have no faith whatsoever in any kind of God but I see no need to deprive others of that comfort blanket if they want it because it doesnt affect me at all.

As has been said many times

when religion is eradicated from schools and politics then no one will care what silly superstitions people have

Like no one cares if a batty aunt believes in astrology

Also religion is what drives planes into buildings and bombs into buses and that odious word "faith" is always cited.

It sadly does matter:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leanna1989 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to convince myself of anything I was responding to OhWhenTheSaints.

To respond to Lizzy, most Christians use medicine like anybody else does. Of course, we use prayer too and I think it helps.

I know Leanna, I was talking about that small group that only use prayer for illness. In the US? I want to say Christian Scientists but not sure thats it :)

when religion is eradicated from schools and politics then no one will care what silly superstitions people have

Like no one cares if a batty aunt believes in astrology

Also religion is what drives planes into buildings and bombs into buses and that odious word "faith" is always cited.

It sadly does matter:(

It does matter in certain circumstances yes, and those are the times that its important to speak out. But generally, in day to day life, the man on the street christian does you, or anyone else, no harm whatsoever.

I think there should be a total separation of church and state like they have in the US - certainly the Church of England should NOT be allowed to hold up the gay marriage laws based on religion.

I don't have a problem with religion being taught as a subject in school as long as its not focussed on one single religion or being taught as if its the truth...but taught as an academic subject including history and all the bad along with the good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Leanna, I was talking about that small group that only use prayer for illness. In the US? I want to say Christian Scientists but not sure thats it :)

It does matter in certain circumstances yes, and those are the times that its important to speak out. But generally, in day to day life, the man on the street christian does you, or anyone else, no harm whatsoever.

I think there should be a total separation of church and state like they have in the US - certainly the Church of England should NOT be allowed to hold up the gay marriage laws based on religion.

I don't have a problem with religion being taught as a subject in school as long as its not focussed on one single religion or being taught as if its the truth...but taught as an academic subject including history and all the bad along with the good.

Well said:)
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wrote what I think of faith here a couple of months ago:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=60649330

I think it's about right.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops nevermind. :embarrased:
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    So.now that that's settled.. Can we please go back to the reason this thread was made in the first place? :confused:

The OP was about prayer across any faiths/beliefs, and other related matters. It's difficult for threads like this not to get hijacked. It's an occupational hazard on DS unfortunately. As if there aren't enough threads that are opposite to this in their intent already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still stinks! :(

There are plenty of threads where faith can be challenged. This isn't one of them.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are plenty of threads where faith can be challenged. This isn't one of them.

It's difficult because people are free to post what they like on threads - but usually it's done in relation to the OP. I'm not sure that holds true in many threads to do with religion.

Anyway, will stop going off topic!
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Pilgrimage' makes 21st Century come-back as 11 million visit cathedrals

A nice positive article from the Telegraph. :)

Do any of you (I know you do LOT ;)) like to visit our magnificent cathedrals? To admire the architecture; to pray, light a candle, sit and absorb the spiritual atmosphere; attend choral evensong or any other daily service... ?

For me, cathedrals are very special places; where my spirit can soar to the heights, and where the sense of the sacred is ever-present. :)

ETA: Lovely thread on the whole, OhWhenTheSaints btw. Keep up the good faith. God Bless. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @nethwen. Yes I like to visit Cathedrals and Abbey's. Buckfast Abbey is one of my favourite places, their honey is amazing. I visit at least once a year as we have family in the area.

I also love Salisbury Cathedral, its beautiful.

I don't actually light candles or pray as obviously thats not me, but still, they are lovely places to visit. And peaceful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Faith will always be questioned by those that do not have it. Personally I am fascinated by the whole thing but I try to question with some decorum :)

As for "plenty of threads" there are - but if you want a faith thread that is purely positive, you would have to start an appreciation thread. T&C's do not allow appreciation threads to be hijacked :)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I am guessing that you will then want religion eradicated from churches

It was Christianity which was gave us our first schools.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faith will always be questioned by those that do not have it. Personally I am fascinated by the whole thing but I try to question with some decorum :)

As for "plenty of threads" there are - but if you want a faith thread that is purely positive, you would have to start an appreciation thread. T&C's do not allow appreciation threads to be hijacked :)

I thought this "was" an appreciation thread. :confused: At the very least a thread for religious minded people to congregate and not get hijacked. It's not too much to ask IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this "was" an appreciation thread. :confused: At the very least a thread for religious minded people to congregate and not get hijacked. It's not too much to ask IMO.

I think it was intended as such, but to be within the guidelines it actually has to SAY "appreciation thread" in the title.

"The Prayer and Worship Appreciation Thread" for example would garner the protection given to an appreciation thread.

Remember my nice gentle religious discussion thread? That didnt stay nice or gentle for long either. :D

You are right that it shouldnt be too much to ask, but to be fair, DS is open to all to have their opinions on any subject and posters cannot be told by thread starters what they can and can't post The reason that they HAVE appreciation threads is for the purpose of allowing people to have a friendly discussion where it is not allowed for people to come in and be belligerent. So use the tool they have put in place :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was intended as such, but to be within the guidelines it actually has to SAY "appreciation thread" in the title.

"The Prayer and Worship Appreciation Thread" for example would garner the protection given to an appreciation thread.

Remember my nice gentle religious discussion thread? That didnt stay nice or gentle for long either. :D

You are right that it shouldnt be too much to ask, but to be fair, DS is open to all to have their opinions on any subject and posters cannot be told by thread starters what they can and can't post The reason that they HAVE appreciation threads is for the purpose of allowing people to have a friendly discussion where it is not allowed for people to come in and be belligerent. So use the tool they have put in place :)

Maybe I will be the one to give it a go. I could try the God Appreciation thread but not many people here do. :D

haha I tried a similar thread too but, it didn't last. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I will be the one to give it a go. I could try the God Appreciation thread but not many people here do. :D

haha I tried a similar thread too but, it didn't last. :o

I think there was a God appreciation one a while back. It depends what you actually want to discuss I guess.

Maybe "The Religion and Faith appreciation thread" so that you can get people of all faiths into a discussion or whatever. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there was a God appreciation one a while back. It depends what you actually want to discuss I guess.

Maybe "The Religion and Faith appreciation thread" so that you can get people of all faiths into a discussion or whatever. :)

Maybe another time. The OP is trying something good here imo, don't want to detract from it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't have really any Cathedrals in a rural area like this. We have a smaller percentage of Catholics and not enough Catholics in one area with money to build big cathedrals. There are a few catholic churches, but most are smaller and less ornate. Most people here are Protestant, especially Baptist.

We have some pretty good sized churches, though.

I like cathedrals because of how beautiful they are, but I feel God's presence in my church anyway. To me the presence of God being there is more important the physical beauty of the place.

I just like churches in general.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to this band's concert tonight
    http://youtu.be/QASREBVDsLk