Options

Radio Aire

podlover98podlover98 Posts: 226
Forum Member
Latest listening figures- 75300. This is the lowest figure yet.

A look at MediaUK shows how disastrous the station has become: http://www.mediauk.com/radio/10/963-radio-aire/listening-figures

Is it profitable? What is wrong with Radio Aire? Has it a doomed future? Ten years ago its listenership was 2.5 million!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Ten years ago the station had 272,000 not over 2 million.
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're confusing reach with listening hours, the latter falling to 753,000 (they may have had 2 million hours ten years ago).

The reasons for Radio Aire's decline are many but in essence it's been hammered by the two regionals Capital and Real as well as the nationals.

It also has a rubbish transmitter site which makes it difficult to receive in some parts of their area.

It's a shame as Leeds is a vibrant city. The station reflected this in the late 1990s really well when reach hit 30% (across a bigger TSA too).

In isolation it would seem to be in danger but I suspect Bauer will always keep hold just for the sake of having a presence in one of the country's biggest cities.

That said Magic 828 still performs very well for them and always has.
  • Options
    podlover98podlover98 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Any chance if Baeur takes over Absolute the Big city networks could be dropped for Absolute on FM? Would open up some major cities for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Eh? Aire has 126,000 listeners, so not sure where you get that from. Is it profitable? Only Bauer's finance team can tell you that, although remember many of Bauer's other heritage stations will be, so even if Aire makes a loss it'll just be moved into offsetting profits elsewhere.

Aire suffers from a crap signal (Viking is stronger in many parts of Aire's TSA!) and has suffered at the hands of Galaxy/Capital, possibly small gains by Real and the fact that it's always been a bit of a serial underachiever so was hit harder than many fellow heritage ILR stations when the assault came from new licences. Can't get it here (unlike Viking and TFM which boom in!), so can't comment much on the programming.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    casaboy22 wrote: »
    Eh? Aire has 126,000 listeners, so not sure where you get that from. Is it profitable? Only Bauer's finance team can tell you that, although remember many of Bauer's other heritage stations will be, so even if Aire makes a loss it'll just be moved into offsetting profits elsewhere.

Aire suffers from a crap signal (Viking is stronger in many parts of Aire's TSA!) and has suffered at the hands of Galaxy/Capital, possibly small gains by Real and the fact that it's always been a bit of a serial underachiever so was hit harder than many fellow heritage ILR stations when the assault came from new licences. Can't get it here (unlike Viking and TFM which boom in!), so can't comment much on the programming.

Agreed...it needs to be on Emily Moor with it's 96.3 TX with a Directional Array for Leeds
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio Aire covers a wider area than Leeds, so maybe being inclusive of that wider area could increase the audience. It is a good station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed...it needs to be on Emily Moor with it's 96.3 TX with a Directional Array for Leeds

Sadly that will never happen as Emley Moor is not within its licensed coverage area.

wns_195 - they've actually reduced their TSA recently to take out other areas (e.g. Wakefield) as those parts were dragging the percentage reach down still further. In essence, nobody is listening outside of Leeds.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aren't parts of Leeds shielded from Emley Moor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

Coverage is good in Leeds from Emley Moor - both Capital and Real blast in without the need for relays.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

Yes, which is why the Beecroft Hill relay exists for TV

Holme Moss is much the same, and Beecroft is used as a relay for national radio, and BBC Leeds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    Coverage is good in Leeds from Emley Moor - both Capital and Real blast in without the need for relays.

Mmm yes but they are on quite high powers from a tall transmitter... if Radio Aire was on that sort of power, wouldn't you just be creating a lot of unwanted overspill and potential interference?

I can't imagine say Rother FM being too pleased looking at their frequency!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Yes, which is why the Beecroft Hill relay exists for TV

Holme Moss is much the same, and Beecroft is used as a relay for national radio, and BBC Leeds.

I thought so and there's another TV relay in Headingley too.

Perhaps Radio Aire moving to the Beecroft Hill site would work best for them, seeing as they no longer wish to broadcast to Wakefield and other neighbouring areas?
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    they've actually reduced their TSA recently to take out other areas (e.g. Wakefield) as those parts were dragging the percentage reach down still further. In essence, nobody is listening outside of Leeds.

I wonder if that could be because the station focused too much on Leeds? Radio Aire and Magic 828 are licenced to cover the same area. Magic 828 has had and I presume continues to have a loyal audience outside Leeds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I wonder if that could be because the station focused too much on Leeds? Radio Aire and Magic 828 are licenced to cover the same area. Magic 828 has had and I presume continues to have a loyal audience outside Leeds.

Listened from day one to Radio Aire, but when Magic 828 came along, it seamed every radio in the Leeds area was tuned to AM. Galaxy was the final nail in the coffin, you could not go anywhere without radios bleating out Galaxy 105.

My parents live in south Leeds and the reception is non existent. I need to turn off RDS as my car radio goes searching. We are talking a large inner city area here! The north west corridor is just as bad. It's just not worth me using my personal radio on Aire, as it's just a waste of time travelling within the city. Now if you want to receive Viking and TFM, then all you need is two Beanz cans and connecting string, does the trick!
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listened from day one to Radio Aire, but when Magic 828 came along, it seamed every radio in the Leeds area was tuned to AM. Galaxy was the final nail in the coffin, you could not go anywhere without radios bleating out Galaxy 105.

My parents live in south Leeds and the reception is non existent. I need to turn off RDS as my car radio goes searching. We are talking a large inner city area here! The north west corridor is just as bad. It's just not worth me using my personal radio on Aire, as it's just a waste of time travelling within the city. Now if you want to receive Viking and TFM, then all you need is two Beanz cans and connecting string, does the trick!

I can remember listening to the station a few months after it had opened in 1981 on holiday in York. Reception on the then 94.6 was fine. Alex Lester did mid mornings I recall.

Did the problems start when Aire moved to 96.3 ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Did the problems start when Aire moved to 96.3 ?

Also, didn't Aire move transmitters a few years ago? I think they left their original Morley site for another one nearby

I've picked up Aire in the car around Barnsley and Doncaster before, so it does get out... Just in the wrong direction
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What! I live in south Leeds Radio Aire is blasting here so I don't know why you say that, I think Capital has done some harm to Aire's figures & I can't stand Capital but that's just me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »
    What! I live in south Leeds Radio Aire is blasting here so I don't know why you say that, I think Capital has done some harm to Aire's figures & I can't stand Capital but that's just me

I have lived in Belle Isle most of my life and I can tell you the reception from Tingley is crap! Yes they moved the site across the road, but still just as hopeless. I wish someone would convince my car radio it's good reception!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    casaboy22 wrote: »

Yes, you can hear Viking all the way near enough the Peak District and the Sheffield area. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Paul Hayes is joining Radio Aire for daytime. Paul is a great presenter, but is he really a Bauer fit?

I don't get them using very old sounding presenters who sound tired like Clive Warren that really do not suit the stations!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Hired due to him being on Galaxy back in the day although he's good Aire itself is in a bit of a mess!

The younger end of their TSA listen to Capital Yorkshire and Radio 1 and the older Real, BBC Radio 2 and some The Pulse, plus it has poor coverage even after it's hike in power.

Best thing they can do is let the Guys on air have fun, be very Leeds and fight hard for the Brand in the City.

Nobody else in the City can do it but them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Hired due to him being on Galaxy back in the day although he's good Aire itself is in a bit of a mess!

The younger end of their TSA listen to Capital Yorkshire and Radio 1 and the older Real, BBC Radio 2 and some The Pulse, plus it has poor coverage even after it's hike in power.

Did not think of it like that, good point. He would be much more in the target of Real, but that is a questionable situation. I hope they allow him time, and don't do the typical bauer thing of promising and not giving. Like they did with Ditchy saying he could have a contract, and just not giving. Then pushing out. They are a vile group.
  • Options
    gothblokegothbloke Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I work in Leeds and there's very little if non-existant marketing of the station in the city.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's very little marketing of Capital or Real (or Magic) in Leeds but they seem to do OK. It's audience has been eaten from all sides like an apple. I'm not sure bringing a turn in from Sussex is going to enhance their daytime figures.
  • Options
    dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Park wrote: »
    Paul Hayes is joining Radio Aire for daytime. Paul is a great presenter, but is he really a Bauer fit?

I don't get them using very old sounding presenters who sound tired like Clive Warren that really do not suit the stations!

Who's he replacing the ever changing mid mornings since Griffo left. Ditchy currently Matt Wilkins

Heard Griffo on Minsiter FM breakfast, god he sounds cheesy but suppose that's his act.