"The Green Mile"

Mr PercyMr Percy Posts: 397
Forum Member
Excellent film and excellent storytelling!

What do/don't you like about this 90's film starring the brilliant Tom Hanks.

Comments

• stormtrooper123stormtrooper123 Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    It's OK, I don't have anything against it but it's way overrated just like its sister movie The Shawshank Redemption.
  • Mr PercyMr Percy Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    It's OK, I don't have anything against it but it's way overrated just like its sister movie The Shawshank Redemption.

How strange! I just watched that and I enjoyed "The Shawshank Redemption"!

"Reserviour Dogs" is way overated to!
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A long film that never seems long because it's made so well and draws you in perfectly.

For repeated viewings I do prefer Shawshank, which isn't overrated at all - it is an amazing film that deserves all the praise it gets.
    There's a lot to be said for a film whose success is 99% from word of mouth from satisfied viewers - no hype at all, like to see that happen these days!
    Forum Member
    Anyone seen "Alien" and the rest that followed?

Opinions?
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think of anything I dislike about.

Its one of a kind, a perfectly paced slow burning poignant tale
    Forum Member
    Why does Officer Hadley get arrested in "The Shawshank Redemption"?

If it is for murder then how did they rpove he killed anyone?
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I don't like about it.. I can't watch it again, too sad lol
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The Green Mile' is one of my favourite movies of all-time! The performances and storyline are excellent and I just love the interaction between Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan.

Every time I see Doug Hutchison he always creeps me out, as his performance reminds me of Eugene Victor Tooms.

The ending always makes me cry bucketloads as well.

:(
  • drwhorudrwhoru Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    it's a good movie.

the only thing i don't like about it is the scene at the end with the mouse. goes too far,
    Forum Member
    Blossom85 wrote: »
    'The Green Mile' is one of my favourite movies of all-time! The performances and storyline are excellent and I just love the interaction between Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan.

Every time I see Doug Hutchison he always creeps me out, as his performance reminds me of Eugene Victor Tooms.

The ending always makes me cry bucketloads as well.

:(

Percy is a brilliant character and is played to perfection!
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great film but I don't like watching it coz it makes me cry

Shawshank is better imo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Green Mile is one of my favorite Tom Hanks films.
    Forum Member
    I just realised the actor who plays percy is the one marrired to the 16 year old!
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just realized the guy who played Percy was also Eugene Victor Tooms in The X Files.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both 'The Green Mile' and 'The Shawshank Redemption' are pretty much perfect films based off some of Stephen King's most profound work. Though it shows what a big difference it makes when truly great actors are allowed to breathe and a film isn't rushed so it lets a great story come through.
  • lovemydogxlovemydogx Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    TGM is film perfection. Beautifully done, always upsetting.
    Forum Member
    I just realized the guy who played Percy was also Eugene Victor Tooms in The X Files.

Any clips? Love to see.
    Both 'The Green Mile' and 'The Shawshank Redemption' are pretty much perfect films based off some of Stephen King's most profound work. Though it shows what a big difference it makes when truly great actors are allowed to breathe and a film isn't rushed so it lets a great story come through.

How long did it take to make and your spot on... todat films and storylines are just too rushed!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    drwhoru wrote: »
    it's a good movie.

the only thing i don't like about it is the scene at the end with the mouse. goes too far,

Thank you. I'm not alone. I've always said that about the film. It's great, but the epilogue was unnecessary. They should have just left it with John's death.
    Forum Member
    Why has he lived soo long... surely that is an unhappy ending for him?
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mouse scene is important because it shows how Coffey has prolonged Edgecombe's life. If a mouse can live to that age, how long does Edgecombe have?

It's actually just struck me that the governor's wife will also be similarly affected, surely? And any other peope that Coffey has 'helped' along the way.

In Edgecombe's case, he sees it as a form of punishment for sending men (or maybe just Coffey) to their deaths.
    Forum Member
    Well the ending sucks then... Percy is the only villian deserving of that ending and Wild Bill ;p
    Forum Member
    Any more views?
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I loved it. Michael Clarke Duncan is outstanding and completely underrated.. The execution scene remains disturbing to this day. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    excellent film. easily in my top 10
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Percy wrote: »
    Why has he lived soo long... surely that is an unhappy ending for him?

Absolutely it is. In the book itself it is pretty clear that his extended life becomes more of a curse than a gift.