Record Breaking Song from David Bowie?

AKindSoulAKindSoul Posts: 177
Forum Member
Is his new song 'Where Are We Now' the fastest ever drop out of the Top 100 from a song that entered in the Top 10?

Seems to have entered at 6, dropped to around the 40 area then out of the 100 altogether. So two weeks in the chart in total.

Quite incredible.

Comments

• RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKindSoul wrote: »
    Is his new song 'Where Are We Now' the fastest ever drop out of the Top 100 from a song that entered in the Top 10?

Seems to have entered at 6, dropped to around the 40 area then out of the 100 altogether. So two weeks in the chart in total.

Quite incredible.

...and?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex Day currently holds the record for biggest drop in the singles chart ever with Forever Yours dropping 108 places.

It's chart run is currently 4 - 112

He's two follow up's also fell out of the top 100 in their second week. Lady Godvia & Stupid Stupid both peaked within the top 25.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    RikScot wrote: »
    ...and?
    Is there really any need for a rude post that?

I, for one, thought it was was a fairly interesting observation.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    HandsClean wrote: »
    Alex Day currently holds the record for biggest drop in the singles chart ever with Forever Yours dropping 108 places.

It's chart run is currently 4 - 112

He's two follow up's also fell out of the top 100 in their second week. Lady Godvia & Stupid Stupid both peaked within the top 25.

Lol but to be fair to him, he's not signed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol but to be fair to him, he's not signed.

I know, but that's the record. Can't be changed.

Wet Wet Wet - Weightless - #10 - #96. (DOWN 86)
    The Pogues - Fairytale of New York - #9 - #107 (DOWN 98)
    Leeds United Team & Supporters - Leeds Leeds Leeds (Marching On Together) - #10 to #112 (DOWN 102)

are the ones behind alex.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Is there really any need for a rude post that?

I, for one, thought it was was a fairly interesting observation.

My apologies...didn't mean to be so.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Realistically, where are we now? wasn't going to have a long chart run within today's music climate - it got to number 6 based on the fact that David completely shocked the music world by releasing a new single and video, and announcing his first studio album after 10 years, without any kind of warning...

Any artist who did that would have a good chart position off of that... Any artist who did that would be shocked at how quickly it dropped out of the chart...

Except for David Bowie...

I have only become a fan of David as a result of this comeback, but I understand that he cares about creating and releasing music for himself and his fans at this stage in his career. Chart positions don't mean much to him anymore. Why should they, when he has created a vast of body of work that is currently pulling me in with no more than a whisper...?
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Realistically, where are we now? wasn't going to have a long chart run within today's music climate - it got to number 6 based on the fact that David completely shocked the music world by releasing a new single and video, and announcing his first studio album after 10 years, without any kind of warning...

Any artist who did that would have a good chart position off of that... Any artist who did that would be shocked at how quickly it dropped out of the chart...

Except for David Bowie...

I have only become a fan of David as a result of this comeback, but I understand that he cares about creating and releasing music for himself and his fans at this stage in his career. Chart positions don't mean much to him anymore. Why should they, when he has created a vast of body of work that is currently pulling me in with no more than a whisper...?

It was the same when Kate Bush release King Of The Mountain first single in ten years off her first album in 12 interest and shock and huge media coverage can guarantee a top 10 but with little promo will drop out quickly. Most aritsts 40 years on would struggle for a top 75 let alone top 10 and most in the top 40 these days rely on huge promo and radio play to get a hit unless of course your rihanna :p
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly surprising, tbh. Huge hoo-harr about an iconic artist slipping out his first release for years. Even featured on the Radio 4 "Today" programme, and predictably played to death on 6 Music.

The song, however, is the dreariest dirge ever made, and sounds like it was made in his bedroom. Bought by remaining die hard fans only, hence it's swift rise and instant fall.
  • brunoloverbrunolover Posts: 2,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Hardly surprising, tbh. Huge hoo-harr about an iconic artist slipping out his first release for years. Even featured on the Radio 4 "Today" programme, and predictably played to death on 6 Music.

The song, however, is the dreariest dirge ever made, and sounds like it was made in his bedroom. Bought by remaining die hard fans only, hence it's swift rise and instant fall.

It is infact a great song IMO but regardless, the quality of Bowie's song has very little to do with it's swift decline from the charts. Bowie is never going to appeal in large numbers to the teen crowd who make up the majority of the people who download songs on a regular basis (in large numbers) to make up the current top 200. The same can be said for any artist over the age of 40 really - their audience are not the tweeny download crowd.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised it got as high as it did to be honest. It is not the usual chart stuff, and those that were going to buy it would have done so at the outset.

It was never going to be a long seller.
  • jargonjargon Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fair number of tracks yo-yo around the chart so it could notch up a few more weeks in the lower reaches and possibly re-enter when the album is released.

Can't help pointing out Gnarls Barkley's 'Crazy' disappeared from the #5 spot completely out of the top 200 because of chart rules in 2006.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

I agree with you. It was a poor song & will mostly have been bought by his existing fanbase as soon as they were able to get hold of it.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brunolover wrote: »
    The same can be said for any artist over the age of 40 really - their audience are not the tweeny download crowd.

Robbie Williamses 'Candy' has done well though.13 weeks in the Top 40.Not bad for a 38 year old !
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a way it looks shocking with such a drop with Bowie's song, which I bought, and the others mentioned. But it does not tell the whole story. Each week is taken in isolation, so technically you could have a single released, and within the 7 days sell a million copies, followed by none the next week. It would go from No1 to nowhere, but still be one of the UK's Top 200 biggest ever hit songs regardless. Taking it to extreme, if a song sold 5 million within the first 7 days, and none the next week, it would be No1 then fall to nowhere, but be the biggest UK single of all time! Sounds absurd, but remember that Elton John sold 700,000 on the first one day of release of his Diana hit in 1997.

So in effect the charts, and positions do not tell the whole story.

Another good example on the other end of the scale is that a song could sell a steady 1,000 copies a week all year long, likely not denting the Top75, the technical definition of a "hit" record, yet within the year it would have sold over 50,000 copies.
  • brunoloverbrunolover Posts: 2,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie Williamses 'Candy' has done well though.13 weeks in the Top 40.Not bad for a 38 year old !

But "Candy" was no doubt played to death on commercial radio stations which people who download regularly listen to. Plus, you can tell Candy was intentionally manufactured to be a hit in the current music climate.

No matter how good an artists songs is, you can guarantee the 99% of artists over 40 will not get on those playlists, so it will be their fans only that download it.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HandsClean wrote: »
    I know, but that's the record. Can't be changed.

Wet Wet Wet - Weightless - #10 - #96. (DOWN 86)
    The Pogues - Fairytale of New York - #9 - #107 (DOWN 98)
    Leeds United Team & Supporters - Leeds Leeds Leeds (Marching On Together) - #10 to #112 (DOWN 102)

are the ones behind alex.

LOL --- called Weightless
    dropped like a stone ---- such irony :)
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKindSoul wrote: »

Quite incredible.

Not really. It really wasn't very good. In fact, it was totally forgettable and didn't have a tune. It only got any exposure because Bowie is a legend.

I did discover a new admiration for Jeremy Vine for daring to criticise the song on air despite being forced to play it on his Radio 2 playlist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    LOL --- called Weightless
    dropped like a stone ---- such irony :)

You are not wrong there! Their true "weightless" hit was of course Love Is All Around which was truly weightless in that it simply never wanted to drop, off the top of the 1994 charts, for those 15 weeks. :p

Talk about one hit extreme to the other!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member

Imbecile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Not really. It really wasn't very good. In fact, it was totally forgettable and didn't have a tune. It only got any exposure because Bowie is a legend.

I did discover a new admiration for Jeremy Vine for daring to criticise the song on air despite being forced to play it on his Radio 2 playlist.

And Jeremy Vine is an arbiter of taste is he?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Precisely! I'm not a die hard fan, but bought the song by Bowie. As for Jeremy Vine, take a look at his incredibly unfunny brother Tim, who claims to be a comedian? Really! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No more than anyone else. He was just expressing an opinion, which someone is entitled to do without being insulted and being called an imbecile because they've dared to criticise anything by the great David. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Precisely! I'm not a die hard fan, but bought the song by Bowie. As for Jeremy Vine, take a look at his incredibly unfunny brother Tim, who claims to be a comedian? Really! :o

I'm not sure how Vine is responsible for his brother. Seems a bit of a weak line of attack. Can't you try something a bit better? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I'm not sure how Vine is responsible for his brother. Seems a bit of a weak line of attack. Can't you try something a bit better? :rolleyes:

Well OK, I will say that I think the Bowie track is a slow grower, and listened to under the right conditions, late in the evening, dimmed lights, it really is a fabulously melancholy and atmospheric song from the heart. To me anyway. At 1pm on a weekday it likely sounds and comes over somewhat different. We should relish the prospect that pop legends with a huge back catalogue of classic albums and singles are still prepared to create new music, and another album, when he hardly needs the money! Why should all creativity vanish after the age of 60?

However, not having heard the context in how Vine commented about the song I will leave it at that!