2»

Comments

• Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ajh94 wrote: »
    I picked up Cable & Wireless_UK the other day lol whatever that is

It's a fixed-mobile convergence system, powered by picocells so it only broadcasts throughout a particular company site and allows them to do things like having their desk phone and mobile dual ring at the same time, same voicemail for both mobile and desk phone and seamless telecoms throughout the site, internal extensions can be called from the mobile etc. When you move out of the picocell coverage area it roams on to Orange.

Maybe you were at Tesco as they use this service? if so and you search for networks and you are near a Tesco you'll likely see C&W showing as an available network, but you of course won't be able to connect to it.

And yes C&W do own some of their own spectrum and are able to operate as a mobile network using pico cells in those customer areas. The frequencies they have are right next to the 1800Mhz in the bleed area. The licence restriction is no more than 200mW, and if the transmitter it situated externally it cannot be higher than 10 metres, so suitable for picos.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    hah... nasty irvine cross, about 1 minutes walk away from my house :-)

i would say though that is there is an O2 mast there then it can't be working, as my O2 signal is pretty bad and i'm probably about 600 yards away from it.

i can walk into my living and get 1 bar of 3G and then walk into bedroom and lose 3G and get 4 bars of 2G.

i'm pretty sure the 3G O2 mast is up in the fields behind the Lawthorn area in Irvine.

O2 have a 900MHz and a 2100MHz masts on Bridgegate House. The status checker says its ok. May be worth while testing it on 2G and 3G only to see if it makes any difference.

O2 have 900MHz and 2100Mhz in Lawthorn its a shared site with Vodafone on 2100MHz. Orange have a site on the outskirts of Lawthorn (just as you go into the country) on 1800 MHz im not sure if that has been switched on yet as some Luddites moaned about it when it was first put up 10 years ago or more.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

http://status.o2.co.uk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Just found out where I am vodafone and O2 share a mast. However O2 have three cells on it - one 900mhz UTMS, one 2100mhz UTMS and one 900mhz GMS. Vodafone only have one 900mhz EDGE cell, anyone think there could be a chance of an upgrade to 3G under the new sharing agreements? Surely their coverage will be more or less identical?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    It's a fixed-mobile convergence system, powered by picocells so it only broadcasts throughout a particular company site and allows them to do things like having their desk phone and mobile dual ring at the same time, same voicemail for both mobile and desk phone and seamless telecoms throughout the site, internal extensions can be called from the mobile etc. When you move out of the picocell coverage area it roams on to Orange.

Maybe you were at Tesco as they use this service? if so and you search for networks and you are near a Tesco you'll likely see C&W showing as an available network, but you of course won't be able to connect to it.

And yes C&W do own some of their own spectrum and are able to operate as a mobile network using pico cells in those customer areas. The frequencies they have are right next to the 1800Mhz in the bleed area. The licence restriction is no more than 200mW, and if the transmitter it situated externally it cannot be higher than 10 metres, so suitable for picos.

Haha that figurs actually, this was at home, I live a 1min walk from tesco and can see it from my bedroom window! :D That will be why then!
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 have a 900MHz and a 2100MHz masts on Bridgegate House. The status checker says its ok. May be worth while testing it on 2G and 3G only to see if it makes any difference.

O2 have 900MHz and 2100Mhz in Lawthorn its a shared site with Vodafone on 2100MHz. Orange have a site on the outskirts of Lawthorn (just as you go into the country) on 1800 MHz im not sure if that has been switched on yet as some Luddites moaned about it when it was first put up 10 years ago or more.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

http://status.o2.co.uk/

i can see the mast from my window, yet i have really crappy 3G signal, that's why i was assuming i must be getting signal from the further away mast.

it's the same on 2 phones, so i know it's not a phone issue. i'm just across the road from the old college on bank street.

how would you know which mast you are connected to though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i can see the mast from my window, yet i have really crappy 3G signal, that's why i was assuming i must be getting signal from the further away mast.

it's the same on 2 phones, so i know it's not a phone issue. i'm just across the road from the old college on bank street.

how would you know which mast you are connected to though.

One of my friends lives near Bank Street and when the phone is connected via 3G the signal is surprising poor. When I put it on to 2G only I get a full signal.

I suspect the 3G site may be very congested. 3G cellsites reduce their power levels to avoid overloading.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57431748/38/Cell-Breathing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my friends lives near Bank Street and when the phone is connected via 3G the signal is surprising poor. When I put it on to 2G only I get a full signal.

I suspect the 3G site may be very congested. 3G cellsites reduce their power levels to avoid overloading.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57431748/38/Cell-Breathing

must be congested 24/7 then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    must be congested 24/7 then

Might be worth popping into the O2 shop and asking them as it sits right underneath the mast ironically :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be worth popping into the O2 shop and asking them as it sits right underneath the mast ironically :D

pretty sure they have a femtocell (or whatever they call it in the UK) in the shop, wonder if that is what is being listed?

the O2 shop there isn't really an O2 shop though, they are really canavan communications just retailing under the O2 brand, doubt they know anything about masts :D
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pretty sure they have a femtocell (or whatever they call it in the UK) in the shop, wonder if that is what is being listed?

the O2 shop there isn't really an O2 shop though, they are really canavan communications just retailing under the O2 brand, doubt they know anything about masts :D

Half of the shops have been sold to franchises now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Half of the shops have been sold to franchises now.

this ones always been a franchise though.
  • Options
    beecartbeecart Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i know some (if not all) English police also use Orange.

majority of police do not use orange. o2/vodafone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beecart wrote: »
    majority of police do not use orange. o2/vodafone

tell that to the orange call center staff then that take support calls from the police.
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Policeman and a fireman I know in different counties have vodafone phones and pagers...
  • Options
    beecartbeecart Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tell that to the orange call center staff then that take support calls from the police.

i will do! because it's actual a corporate account with a dedicated contact.

maybe you mean individual officers that uses ORANGE for their personal phone as they get a discount????????????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beecart wrote: »
    maybe you mean individual officers that uses ORANGE for their personal phone as they get a discount????????????

nope, but i'm not gonna get into a debate with you.