I'm devastated :(

Anybody done the same?
:rolleyes:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About three times actually yeah :/
    Is it on your iPod? you can download a program which takes it back from your iPod, £20 i think? saved my life so many times!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope :(
    I had all my music in one folder

Was deleting some other stuff and highlighted the folder by accident and then emptied the trash
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,156
    Forum Member
    There is still a way you can get it back with one of those file recovery programs, not sure what one to use though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yowch :/ that's tough. you got the plupart of it physically? if not, i actually pity you :/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Thats why a memory stick comes in handy..I put all my music goes into that..:)
  • Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Have done it before - nightmare. Now I keep my music in a back up folder.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hard drive on my laptop decided to fry itself about a week or two ago. All the albums and all the tunes I got off Beatport, Juno, etc. that I DJ with, all gone. I thought I would be more emotional about it but I wasn't, but next time I'll definitely back them up on an external HDD
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought an external hard drive after doing this one to many times. Cost £50 from Argos, but has more memory than I will ever need in a million years. Best thing I've ever done computer wise. :)
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    No, but then that's the difference between CD's and MP3's. Not all they're cracked up to be are they?!
  • GorkyGorky Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd be surprised how much you can recover using free data recovery software. Although you can't see it, most of the data will still be on the hard drive but the key thing is to act quickly and not use the PC so you don't copy over it.

Some info on free software here. I've used "PC Inspector File Recovery" successfully but that was a few years ago and there might be something better. Ask in the Computing and Networks forum for more advice/recommendations.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I bought an external hard drive after doing this one to many times. Cost £50 from Argos, but has more memory than I will ever need in a million years. Best thing I've ever done computer wise. :)

Same. I lost all my music twice before, external HDD is an essential purchase.

Although the vast majority of my music is in physical form, just one of the many advantages of CDs.
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you can recover the file by restoring your computer to a date before you deleted it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you can recover the file by restoring your computer to a date before you deleted it.

I would but I have no Time Machine backups haha :(

I guess I have Spotify
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep :(
    I was devastated.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mechajlo wrote: »
    About three times actually yeah :/
    Is it on your iPod? you can download a program which takes it back from your iPod, £20 i think? saved my life so many times!

Don't buy anything!! Google it! That's what I did, there's instructions somewhere on using your iPod as an external disk and you can get your music back. The files are hidden and there's a box you can tick somewhere to reveal them. They're all encryped though so you have to listen to the songs and rename them but don't go buying any programs until you try finding the answer online :)

EDIT - Sorry I didn't read that it wasn't on your iPod :(
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    ALL my music :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I'm devastated :(

Anybody done the same?
    :rolleyes:

Three words to live by: ALWAYS BACK UP!
    Try the Computer forum, they may have some ideas....
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I would but I have no Time Machine backups haha :(

I guess I have Spotify

Do you use a Mac? This thread reminds me; I haven't backed up mine. I really should when I have a free moment.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to get a new laptop a few months ago cause my old one died but I still had all my music on my iPod which was fine.
    I kept meaning to get around to trying to get the music off the ipod to back up somewhere cause there was about 12000 songs on it.
    Then the ipod died, and it was black arm bands and flags at half mast.
    Now it all my music goes on the laptop the ipod and a hard drive. And I'll never download mp3 again cause if you don't physically have it you don't have it. it's like owning air or something.
    Anyway i feel your pain.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Personally, for anyone interested, here's what I do.

Music on computer, usually on at least two separate external hard drives, as well as the internal. Also backed up to DVD as soon as I can. Then uploaded to online storage, as a last "firewall" against total computer failure.

On ipod/zen: music usually on all my four devices (ipod Nano, Zen X-Fi, ipod Classic and Zen Vision:M)

DVD: master copy which is almost NEVER touched, plus at least one copy of each, used to reload/update ipods etc. These DVDs are added to/replaced as I get more music.

OTT? Ask the OP.... You can never have too many backups, especially of your music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    Have you tried restoring your settings on your computer to a date before you deleted the music? As has been posted above. I have found I deleted returns when restoring settings
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    You can never have too many backups, especially of your music.
    ^^^ this. I can't believe how many people don't back up! It takes a few minutes, and costs pence.